+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Earmark ban defeated

  1. Default Earmark ban defeated

    The senators that voted against show they do not care about national debt. These senators need to go


    http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...ns-jack-fowler


    Thirteen Republicans voted against the Toomey ban. One of them was Indiana’s Dick Lugar, who faces a tough primary challenge from conservative state treasurer Richard Mourdock (John Miller’s NR profile can be found here). He drew particular wrath from the Club for Growth:

    “Senator Lugar’s vote against a permanent ban on earmarks is typical of a career politician who has been in Washington far too long,” said Club for Growth President Chris Chocola. “The Club for Growth PAC has been closely watching Indiana’s Republican U.S. Senate primary. After Senator Lugar showed his continuing commitment to wasteful pork spending today, we are considering doing more than just watching.”

    For the record, joining Lugar in the GOP baker’s dozen were Alexander (Tenn.), Blunt (Mo.), Cochran (Miss.), Collins (Maine), Hoeven (N.D.), Hutchison (Texas), Inhofe (Okla.), Murkowski (Alaska), Roberts (Kan.), Sessions (Ala.), Shelby (Ala.), Wicker (Miss.). Democrats who voted for the ban were Bennett (Colo.), Hagan (N.C.), McCaskill (Mo.), Nelson (Fla.), Stabenow (Mich.), Udall (Colo.), and Warner (Va.). Kirk (R., Ill.), who is ill, did not vote.

  2. Stand Taller and Look Better with the LUMOback Posture and Activity Coach. <LINK> Learn More Here! </LINK>

  3. #2

    Default

    Actually, they all need to go. We will never get corruption under control until congress has a single term limit. In the mean time our only hope is to replace all of them at every election.

  4. Default

    The idea that earmarks are inherently bad is flawed and simplistic logic. All local projects, be they bridges, roads, schools, or police, which receive federal funding are earmarks. The idea that there is not a single good thing federal dollars can do is simply illogical.
    Rocky Anderson 2012: http://www.voterocky.org

    "While there is a lower class I am in it; while there is a criminal element I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free” -Eugene Debs

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Julian View Post
    The idea that earmarks are inherently bad is flawed and simplistic logic. All local projects, be they bridges, roads, schools, or police, which receive federal funding are earmarks. The idea that there is not a single good thing federal dollars can do is simply illogical.
    What you are saying is ear marks is actually part of the budget

    These are earmarks

    http://www.economiccollapse.net/the-...0#.TzM1ziNQT9w

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    What you are saying is ear marks is actually part of the budget

    These are earmarks

    http://www.economiccollapse.net/the-...0#.TzM1ziNQT9w
    Those are bad examples, there are also good examples. The point is to reform the process, which is still fractional in the long run, not ban it.
    Rocky Anderson 2012: http://www.voterocky.org

    "While there is a lower class I am in it; while there is a criminal element I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free” -Eugene Debs

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Julian View Post
    Those are bad examples, there are also good examples. The point is to reform the process, which is still fractional in the long run, not ban it.
    No I showed earmarks you showed budget items. Bridges are what gas taxes and road taxes are used for

    Here are more ear marks

    http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/federa...porkdecade.htm

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    No I showed earmarks you showed budget items. Bridges are what gas taxes and road taxes are used for

    Here are more ear marks

    http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/federa...porkdecade.htm
    No you're simply wrong. Bridge to nowhere, remember that, that's an earmark. Earmarks are localized spending options outside the standard budget added by particular congressmen based on their personal interests or constituencies.
    Rocky Anderson 2012: http://www.voterocky.org

    "While there is a lower class I am in it; while there is a criminal element I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free” -Eugene Debs

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Julian View Post
    No you're simply wrong. Bridge to nowhere, remember that, that's an earmark. Earmarks are localized spending options outside the standard budget added by particular congressmen based on their personal interests or constituencies.
    Did it get built? No it is money to special interests to buy votes

  10. Default

    Earmarks make it too easy for congressmen to bribe each other and to buy votes. Cutting them would remove one method that is used to exercise corruption.
    TANSTAAFL

  11. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Julian View Post
    The idea that earmarks are inherently bad is flawed and simplistic logic. All local projects, be they bridges, roads, schools, or police, which receive federal funding are earmarks. The idea that there is not a single good thing federal dollars can do is simply illogical.
    Local projects should never receive federal dollars. In fact, it should be illegal for the federal government to send money to state or local government since they are themselves taxing entities. That is how states rights have been trampled by the federal government.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Occupy LA Defeated!
    By Professor Peabody in forum Current Events
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: Dec 01 2011, 03:53 PM
  2. The Case Against Ron Paul is Defeated
    By Jash2o2 in forum Elections & Campaigns
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep 25 2011, 01:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks