+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: U.S. Law Enforcement Seeking To Use Drones For Domestic Policing

  1. Default U.S. Law Enforcement Seeking To Use Drones For Domestic Policing

    U.S. Law Enforcement Seeking To Use Drones For Domestic Policing

    Electronic Freedom Foundation board member and drug policy reform activist John Gilmore memo:

    EFF.ORG (where I’m on the board) filed a Freedom of Information request to FAA about “drones” (Unmanned Aerial Systems, or UAS’s).

    It’s taken the FAA a long time to release info; they sent us another batch recently. This includes several thousand pages of drone authorizations for law enforcement agencies, universities, and the military.

    View EFF-created map of law enforcement ‘drone’ projects here.

    Once again, we see in these records that law enforcement agencies want to use drones to support a whole host of police work. However, many of the agencies are most interested in using drones in drug investigations. For example, the Queen Anne County, Maryland Sheriff’s Department, which is partnering with the federal Department of Justice, Department of Homeland Security and the Navy, applied for a drone license to search farm fields for pot,”surveil people of interest” (including “watching open drug market transactions before initiating an arrest”), and to perform “aerial observation of houses when serving warrants.”

    The Gadsden Alabama Police Department also wanted to use its drone for drug enforcement purposes like conducting covert surveillance of drug transactions, while Montgomery County, Texas wanted to use the camera and “FLIR systems” (thermal imaging) on its ShadowHawk drone to support SWAT and narcotics operations by providing “real time area surveillance of the target during high risk operations.” Another Texas law enforcement agency-the Arlington Police Department-also wanted to fly its “Leptron Avenger” drone for narcotics and police missions. Interestingly, the Leptron Avenger can be outfitted with LIDAR (Light Detection And Ranging) technology. While LIDAR can be used to create high-resolution images of the earth’s surface, it is also used in high tech police speed guns-begging the question of whether drones will soon be used for minor traffic violations.

    More disturbing than these proposed uses is the fact that some law enforcement agencies, like the Orange County, Florida Sheriff’s Department and Mesa County, Colorado Sheriff, have chosen arbitrarily to withhold some or-in Orange County’s case-almost all information about their drone flights-including what type of drone they’re flying, where they’re flying it, and what they want to use it for-claiming that releasing this information would pose a threat to police work. This risk seems extremely far-fetched, given that other agencies mentioned above and in prior posts have been forthcoming and that even the US Air Force feels comfortable releasing information about where it’s flying drones around the country.
    I guess the 176 children killed in drone strikes isn’t enough blood? 'Law enforcement' agencies now want to use these also?

    Please tell me how we live in a 'free society'.
    rstones199 - The Voice Of Reason!
    When you say 'god', which one are you referring to?

    I'm not saying let's kill all the stupid people, I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

  2. Stand Taller and Look Better with the LUMOback Posture and Activity Coach. <LINK> Learn More Here! </LINK>

  3. Default

    The benevolent American government of the people strikes again.
    Do not go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing, it was here first!

  4. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rstones199 View Post
    U.S. Law Enforcement Seeking To Use Drones For Domestic Policing



    I guess the 176 children killed in drone strikes isn’t enough blood? 'Law enforcement' agencies now want to use these also?

    Please tell me how we live in a 'free society'.
    You do understand that not all (or even most) drones are armed, right?

    What is the difference between a police force operating a helicopter for surveillance and operating a drone for surveillance?
    sputterman: "Aiding the enemy? If the truth aids the enemy then we are in the wrong war."

    Me: "When the people who teach our children, protect us from fires and criminals, save our lives when we're injured, and defend us with their very lives make less in a year than a guy who throws a ball for a living makes in an hour, there is something truly (*)(*)(*)(*)ed up with our country."

  5. Likes marleyfin liked this post
  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Questerr View Post
    You do understand that not all (or even most) drones are armed, right?

    What is the difference between a police force operating a helicopter for surveillance and operating a drone for surveillance?
    Pretty much. Its just a tool for them, of which they have many. If your kid is abducted it would be great if they could send up a bunch of drones to find the vehicle. The only ones really bothered by this are those who want to break the law.

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenrichaed View Post
    Pretty much. Its just a tool for them, of which they have many. If your kid is abducted it would be great if they could send up a bunch of drones to find the vehicle. The only ones really bothered by this are those who want to break the law.
    Or those that see our freedoms being taken away.
    rstones199 - The Voice Of Reason!
    When you say 'god', which one are you referring to?

    I'm not saying let's kill all the stupid people, I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

  8. Likes Dispondent liked this post
  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rstones199 View Post
    Or those that see our freedoms being taken away.
    But if the drones are only used for surveillance purposes, than what rights are you losing?

    The right to privacy? I would say in any public place, that right does not really apply.
    When the world needs a hero...
    Rexxon the Mighty.

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexxon View Post
    But if the drones are only used for surveillance purposes, than what rights are you losing?

    The right to privacy? I would say in any public place, that right does not really apply.
    Big brother is watching you. its that simple. What reason is there to be sending up drones over our country? There isnt any.
    rstones199 - The Voice Of Reason!
    When you say 'god', which one are you referring to?

    I'm not saying let's kill all the stupid people, I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

  11. Default

    People think these drones are going to be following them around or something everytime they go outside lol.

    I highly doubt most of us are interesting enough to justify that cost. I dont see any freedoms being taken away whatsoever.

  12. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rstones199 View Post
    Big brother is watching you. its that simple. What reason is there to be sending up drones over our country? There isnt any.
    I gave one already.

    Monitor speeders, find drug farms, help in locating missing people, rescue operations, firefighting, the list endless.

  13. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenrichaed View Post
    I gave one already.

    Monitor speeders, find drug farms, help in locating missing people, rescue operations, firefighting, the list endless.
    Speed doesn’t kill, that is nothing more than a revenue generator. Drivers not paying attention to what is going on does.

    Drugs will not be solved until we legalize the garbage and give help to the people who are users, not incarcerate them. And I say this a straight edger who does not take drugs or condone the use of them.

    Ten Years After Decriminalization, Drug Abuse Down by Half in Portugal

    Using drones will not help in rescue operations, firefighting, etc. It's simply a way 'law enforcement' can over step their bounds in the name of 'public safety'
    rstones199 - The Voice Of Reason!
    When you say 'god', which one are you referring to?

    I'm not saying let's kill all the stupid people, I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. OWS Hatred of Law Enforcement
    By Puroburos in forum Political Opinions & Beliefs
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Oct 15 2011, 10:46 AM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last Post: Sep 21 2011, 07:13 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks