Closed Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 62

Thread: Is it acceptable in the rules to accuse other members of lieing?

  1. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Makedde View Post
    You can say that a post is a lie, an opinion is a lie, but you cannot accuse the poster themselves of lying.
    So what about this sentence?

    'Notice how you contribute nothing to the discussion except poor logic and lies?'


  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    So what about this sentence?

    'Notice how you contribute nothing to the discussion except poor logic and lies?'
    Probably that wouldn't be allowed as its personal and directed at the member.

    'Your opinion is bad/poor logic and your evidence is a lie' would be more suited.
    Farewell my beautiful Gracie Baby, beloved pet:
    15th Jan 1997- 18 Jul 2009

    "The Futures Not Set; There Is No Fate But What We Make For Ourselves" - John Connor: Terminator 2.
    http://mywinterstorm83.livejournal.com/

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Makedde View Post
    Probably that wouldn't be allowed as its personal and directed at the member.

    'Your opinion is bad/poor logic and your evidence is a lie' would be more suited.
    That's what I assumed...thank you.

  4. #14

    Default

    go to Bunnings, buy some timber and build a bridge.
    Die dulci fruere

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    So what about this sentence?

    'Notice how you contribute nothing to the discussion except poor logic and lies?'

    That statement is an insult to you personally.

    It is perfectly acceptable to point out the falsehood of someones statements. It is not acceptable to then suggest they are a liar. The noticeable difference being, one example focuses on the statement and the other example focus on the poster.



    Notice how your posts contribute nothing to the discussion except poor logic and misinformed statements or untruths. Something along those lines could have been easily said and more acceptable in respectful debate.
    Last edited by falena; Jan 22 2012 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Page loaded before I finished. lol

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falena View Post
    That statement is an insult to you personally.

    It is perfectly acceptable to point out the falsehood of someones statements. It is not acceptable to then suggest they are a liar. The noticeable difference being, one example focuses on the statement and the other example focus on the poster.



    Notice how your posts contribute nothing to the discussion except poor logic and misinformed statements or untruths. Something along those lines could have been easily said and more acceptable in respectful debate.
    Thank you very much for the explanation.

    That is more or less, just how I interpreted the rules to be.

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by submarinepainter View Post
    instead of calling someone a liar one could say I believe you are wrong and here's why! and it is against the rules to call other members names
    what about '' your whole race/nation are natural born liars ?

  8. #18

    Default Fragile egos to the side please.

    In my neck of the woods- it would be acceptable in honest learning to say, "I believe or think -you are mistaken, deceived, or may have lied and contradicted yourself".
    The more experience you gain in this world, the more substance you have to process information you are given. Perspective changes depending where we are at the time.
    In the United States we have been engaged in decade long active war. It does things to people. In the United States (yes, including and perhaps especially the South) we know exactly what this means. The United States has been involved in many wars since her birth some are declared and some are not. Where ever we are in this world we have been born into a time of Necessary Transition.
    To any woman in this world who has ever given birth Transition is a very difficult and painful experience late in the birthing process and just before a new life is welcomed once again on our planet. One could become disoriented, afraid, discouraged, exhausted, or overwhelmed by a litany of factors. Woman or child could die or require intervention of an attendant.
    We must be frank. Birth and life is a miraculous and spiritually beautiful process; but it is also a bloody, arduous, dangerous and demanding event. Both are truths. Misunderstandings, conflicting values, and basic fear can cause catastrophe.
    If we dare to discuss the world we live in at all, take time to educate each other it is the only way we grow or learn anything.
    Try thinking about it this way: If you were an inexperienced mother giving birth and began to panic because you were disoriented about the time of transition and did not know what was happening , would you not want someone to tell you: "STOP! get some self-control or you will die and so will your child!" then explain the details later?

    This thought just as much for me as anyone reading. In expressing it for whoever reads the post, I grasped it finally. It was worth the time.

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m81 View Post
    what about '' your whole race/nation are natural born liars ?
    could be flamebait there but would have to read more of the thread
    Don't Blame Me I Voted For Gary Johnson

  10. Default

    One other thing that's probably worth mentioning is that the rule on personal attacks has recently been updated, and now specifically includes in its wording the red bolded section below:

    (4) Personal Attacks:

    ATTACK THE MESSAGE, NOT THE MESSENGER - Any statement directed at or about another member of Political Forum that is derogatory in nature will be considered a 'Personal Attack'.

    Derogatory comments, insults, name-calling, etc. that are, or appear in the judgement of moderators intended to be, directed personally at other forum members are not permitted. This forum is a place for 'respectful debate' - other forum members should not be regarded as the subject of the discussions. Members must not attack or harass (by repeated personal attack, accusation, baiting, trolling, posting/demanding personal information, etc.) other members in discussion threads, or in any other forum areas (Social Groups, Visitor Messages, Private Messages, Reputation Comments, etc.), even if they believe their attack/insult to be 'true' or 'fact'. Attacks directed towards politicians, public figures, political groups, etc. are allowed, but anything deemed by the moderators to be threats towards public figures, forum members or anyone else will be removed, and may be reported to the relevant authorities if considered to be real and/or serious.
    That is intended to make it clear that it doesn't matter whether a member believes their insult or attack against another member to be 'true', 'fact', 'proven', or whatever - it is still against the rules. This has always been the case, but in the past some members seem to have misunderstood this, and believed that they can insult others as long as they believe their insult to be 'true'. That has never been the case, and the new version of the rule makes that clear, to avoid any such misunderstanding in future.

    It is against the forum rules to call another member a 'liar', even if you believe that the accusation is 'true'.
    Liberty is not merely a privilege to be conferred; it is a habit to be acquired - David Lloyd George

Closed Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. "spam post-rules posted at members profile page"
    By castrodead in forum Opinion POLLS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Dec 14 2011, 08:13 PM
  2. Is it acceptable within the rules to call someone a liar?
    By DA60 in forum Announcements & Community Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Sep 30 2011, 01:34 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks