Closed Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: Announcement: In-Thread Warnings

  1. #1

    Default Announcement: In-Thread Warnings

    From time to time, when a thread begins to deteriorate, we'll issue a general warning within the thread to everyone to step back a bit and get back to belaboring the topic instead of one another. We call this a "thread warning." Trouble is, when we just post the thread warning in the middle of the thread, nobody sees it anymore because the conversation has already moved on to the next page. So we're basically just shouting into the darkness.

    We're going to do it a little differently from now on. Whenever we issue an in-thread warning, we're going to edit it right into the opening post of the thread, in red letters, and it will say "MOD EDIT..." and then the specific warning, also in red letters so that it'll be tough for anyone to miss. Then, we'll edit into the title of the thread an announcement that there's a thread warning in the OP (opening post). It'll look something like this "MOD ALERT".

    When you see the words "MOD ALERT" in the title of a thread, please read the OP of the thread before posting. From the point where the warning is time-stamped into the OP, everyone in the thread will be responsible for knowing what was in the warning, and abiding by it. After that edit is made, you own whatever you say. In most cases, that will be considered a final warning to everyone in the thread, and there will usually be no more warnings issued. We don't want to be jerks about this, but in many cases this is our last realistic option for keeping the thread open. We'd much rather find ways to get people to dial back the rhetoric and get back on topic than come in later and give half a dozen people infractions. Thanks for your cooperation!
    Don't believe everything you think.

  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Bear View Post
    From time to time, when a thread begins to deteriorate, we'll issue a general warning within the thread to everyone to step back a bit and get back to belaboring the topic instead of one another. We call this a "thread warning." Trouble is, when we just post the thread warning in the middle of the thread, nobody sees it anymore because the conversation has already moved on to the next page. So we're basically just shouting into the darkness.

    We're going to do it a little differently from now on. Whenever we issue an in-thread warning, we're going to edit it right into the opening post of the thread, in red letters, and it will say "MOD EDIT..." and then the specific warning, also in red letters so that it'll be tough for anyone to miss. Then, we'll edit into the title of the thread an announcement that there's a thread warning in the OP (opening post). It'll look something like this "MOD ALERT".

    When you see the words "MOD ALERT" in the title of a thread, please read the OP of the thread before posting. From the point where the warning is time-stamped into the OP, everyone in the thread will be responsible for knowing what was in the warning, and abiding by it. After that edit is made, you own whatever you say. In most cases, that will be considered a final warning to everyone in the thread, and there will usually be no more warnings issued. We don't want to be jerks about this, but in many cases this is our last realistic option for keeping the thread open. We'd much rather find ways to get people to dial back the rhetoric and get back on topic than come in later and give half a dozen people infractions. Thanks for your cooperation!
    Having participitated in message boards for years, it is worth noting that most topics have been lost after 20 responses. Therefore, if possible, threads should be removed from the board after 40 responses, when most have deteriorated to personal attacks.

    The topic can easily be addressed in a new thread, which will also be necessary to end after approximately 40 responses.

  3. Likes TooHotForREAL, little voice liked this post
  4. Default

    Chickens!!!
    "The truth will set you free, but first it will (*)(*)(*)(*) you off" M. Pancoast

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by montra View Post
    Chickens!!!
    This thread fell off topic fast.

  6. Likes S L H liked this post
  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brtblutwo View Post
    This thread fell off topic fast.
    I'm just glad that there is a sheriff in these here parts. Without them folks tend to take the law into their own hands.
    "The truth will set you free, but first it will (*)(*)(*)(*) you off" M. Pancoast

  8. Likes S L H liked this post
  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by montra View Post
    I'm just glad that there is a sheriff in these here parts. Without them folks tend to take the law into their own hands.

    Yes, it fell off topic really fast.

  10. Default

    I don't get why any threads should be stopped, ever, no matter what. Message boards are just recreation for the most part, and when threads get into high numbers of posts and even if people are just insulting each other, the reason they keep at it is they are HAVING FUN and enjoying the exchange, no matter how ugly, so why stop it? let the FUN continue unchecked, what does it matter?

  11. Likes monkrules liked this post
  12. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingSacred View Post
    I don't get why any threads should be stopped, ever, no matter what. Message boards are just recreation for the most part, and when threads get into high numbers of posts and even if people are just insulting each other, the reason they keep at it is they are HAVING FUN and enjoying the exchange, no matter how ugly, so why stop it? let the FUN continue unchecked, what does it matter?
    Let them insult each other and then get rid of the thread after 20 or 30 posts. If the thread topic was worth while, it will be back.

  13. #9

    Default

    Because that's not what we're here for. If all people want to do is insult each other, there are websites that are just for that. This one is for people who want to have civil discussions. Threads that are full of insults aren't fun for them. Those people are our constituency, and we're dedicated to making this website the best it can be for that group of people.
    Don't believe everything you think.

  14. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Bear View Post
    Because that's not what we're here for. If all people want to do is insult each other, there are websites that are just for that. This one is for people who want to have civil discussions. Threads that are full of insults aren't fun for them. Those people are our constituency, and we're dedicated to making this website the best it can be for that group of people.


    Thank you. I am new this site, so have not yet encountered such behavior. I have on other sites seen behavior deteriorate to an appalling level. Whether an individual is right or wrong denigrating insults add not to the discussion.

Closed Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 531
    Last Post: Jul 29 2013, 09:11 AM
  2. The truth about 'human shields'. MOD ALERT
    By Jack Napier in forum Latest US & World News
    Replies: 623
    Last Post: Jul 17 2013, 09:28 AM
  3. MOD ALERT....Israel must leave the West Bank
    By Ronstar in forum Political Opinions & Beliefs
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: Jul 12 2013, 05:59 AM
  4. Announcement: In-thread Moderator Warnings
    By Winter Bear in forum Current Events
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: Jul 10 2013, 07:21 PM
  5. MOD ALERT....Israel must leave the West Bank
    By Ronstar in forum Latest US & World News
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jun 20 2013, 09:32 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks