+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 84

Thread: Why did Reagan Veto Anti-Apartheid Act?

  1. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toddwv View Post
    Because Reagan was a dick with an absolutely abysmal foreign policy that we are still trying to clean up after today.
    Reagan hasn't been in office for more than 30 years. It's been 6 years since Bush left office, and Obama's largely continuing the neo-hawk policy, with his "residual" force in Iraq, his wanting to commit us to Afghanistan for 10+ more years(after bragging ironically during the elections about the war draw down). He went ships ablazing, literally at Syria making us look like fools to the world while Putin calmly said "There is such a thing as negotiation".

    Then there's the terrorist support in Libya, Egypt and those Syrian 'Rebels'. Obama has outpaced Bush as the worst commander in chief of all time. So much so, that apparently he's out of the loop while his even more hawkish "security team" goes ahead, and I'm more afraid of them now when I think about it.

    Obama's a puppet president and whoever's controlling that puppet, simply doesn't have American interests or geopolitical interests in fairness.

  2. Likes Ethereal liked this post
  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HB Surfer View Post
    The Cold War and the Soviet Influence at the time... how do people not know this?
    Because they are teaching our younglings that the Cold War was an American overreaction, and thus an invention of our imagination. That leads to questions like the one in this thread...

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Mike View Post
    I was taking an African History course in College when sanctions and divestment were political issues, so these were topics that were brought up in class.Your argument, that it would hurt South African Blacks more than South African Whites was brought up. However our Professor (who was from Ghana) felt that was the purpose. He wanted blacks to hurt so they would rise up, kill their oppressors, revolution ect... So I don't know if he liked the peaceful transition of power in South Africa or was disgusted by it.
    There are always asses some of them have degrees. The Wisdom of Mandela and Reagan are demonstrated by the fact that as bad as things are in S.A they are still far better than they are in Zimbabwe - the former Rhodesia.
    Last edited by garyd; Dec 07 2013 at 12:05 AM.
    When a leftist starts telling you how complicated something is you can bet that what he means is don't check his math.

    Only in America can one be called pro choice and still think people should have access to only one type of light bulb, power plant, limited choices for cars, and voice only one kind of political speech.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A Canadian View Post
    If that is true, he was wrong.
    He likely put some U.S. companies ahead of those SA people.
    How was he wrong? South Africa transition from Apartheid before he left office. Historically sanctions have been used by thuggish regimes as cover to murder their opposition and then claim they starved to death because of thesanctions.
    When a leftist starts telling you how complicated something is you can bet that what he means is don't check his math.

    Only in America can one be called pro choice and still think people should have access to only one type of light bulb, power plant, limited choices for cars, and voice only one kind of political speech.

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garyd View Post
    Historically sanctions have been used by thuggish regimes as cover to murder their opposition and then claim they starved to death because of thesanctions.
    So that's why no body suggests using sanctions any more. Give me a break. The U.S. is just like the old USSR or China when they vote against sanctions when the country is a friend, the people be dammed.

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanNationalist View Post
    Reagan hasn't been in office for more than 30 years. It's been 6 years since Bush left office, and Obama's largely continuing the neo-hawk policy, with his "residual" force in Iraq, his wanting to commit us to Afghanistan for 10+ more years(after bragging ironically during the elections about the war draw down). He went ships ablazing, literally at Syria making us look like fools to the world while Putin calmly said "There is such a thing as negotiation".

    Then there's the terrorist support in Libya, Egypt and those Syrian 'Rebels'. Obama has outpaced Bush as the worst commander in chief of all time. So much so, that apparently he's out of the loop while his even more hawkish "security team" goes ahead, and I'm more afraid of them now when I think about it.

    Obama's a puppet president and whoever's controlling that puppet, simply doesn't have American interests or geopolitical interests in fairness.
    >>>Insults removed<<< Newsflash: Putin and Syria caved in BECAUSE Obama wanted to go in guns blazing. They would have never negotiated otherwise. Putin calmly saw he was going to get slapped around militarily before a worldwide audience and gave the US exactly what they wanted.

    As for the rest, I count more successes than failures. Obama's foreign policy record flat out crushes Bush's and compares favorably with Reagan's. Lol @ Reagan taking credit for "bankrupting" the Soviet Union when they were going broke in the 70's. Their costly foray in Afghanistan had more to do with their downfall than Reagan.

    Vetoing Anti-Apartheid policy doesn't look good for St. Ronnie. I'm sure the Deep South loved it though.
    Last edited by JohnnyMo; Dec 07 2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Insults

  8. Likes little voice liked this post
  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
    As we mourn the passing of Nelson Mandela.. let us not forget.. Conservatives, led by Ronald Reagan, opposed anti-Apartheid sanctions. Reagan vetoed the Anti-Apartheid act.

    Explanation?
    Truman, Nixon and Jimmy Carter also gave a pass to South Africa. Reagan's primary concern was communism at the time. This isn't rocket science. If you are going to claim that Reagan was a raging racist then you also have to label Jimmy Carter as a raging racist. In both cases the need to support SA as a bulwark against communism was front and center. Of course liberals don't know ANYTHING about history at all so it isn't surprising that the OP would make an incredibly asinine assumption without bothering to check even the most basic of facts.
    Go Nixon!

    ImNotOliver "Besides, Booker T. Washington died 99 years ago. What does any commentary that he made regarding contemporaneous conditions have to do with what is happening in the world today?"

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Headlesseye View Post
    >>>Insults removed<<<. Newsflash: Putin and Syria caved in BECAUSE Obama wanted to go in guns blazing. They would have never negotiated otherwise. Putin calmly saw he was going to get slapped around militarily before a worldwide audience and gave the US exactly what they wanted.

    As for the rest, I count more successes than failures. Obama's foreign policy record flat out crushes Bush's and compares favorably with Reagan's. Lol @ Reagan taking credit for "bankrupting" the Soviet Union when they were going broke in the 70's. Their costly foray in Afghanistan had more to do with their downfall than Reagan.

    Vetoing Anti-Apartheid policy doesn't look good for St. Ronnie. I'm sure the Deep South loved it though.
    What a moronic statement. THe amount of idiocy in that post is astounding. Immediately after his gaff Kerry contacted the Russians to tell them that in fact is not what he meant and even the WH went on record to say that Kerry had simply mispoken. This allowed Putin to step in and save his pet dictator Assad from the same fate that had befallen Gaddafi in Lybia. Don't post anymore unless you actually know what you are talking about.
    Last edited by JohnnyMo; Dec 07 2013 at 07:43 AM.
    Go Nixon!

    ImNotOliver "Besides, Booker T. Washington died 99 years ago. What does any commentary that he made regarding contemporaneous conditions have to do with what is happening in the world today?"

  11. Likes Andelusion, AmericanNationalist liked this post
  12. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
    As we mourn the passing of Nelson Mandela.. let us not forget.. Conservatives, led by Ronald Reagan, opposed anti-Apartheid sanctions. Reagan vetoed the Anti-Apartheid act.

    Explanation?
    Sanctions are a terrible idea.

    It's the same mentality that's got you spending trillions on military offense around the world, and in possession of thousands of military bases, with unprecedented control over the world's governments.

    Fix some of your own problems before you go looking to fix others'.




    Not a conservative, not a liberal. I dislike sanctions generally. I dislike them against South Africa, I dislike them against Iran, I dislike them against North Korea, I dislike them against Cuba.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt

  13. Likes Ethereal liked this post
  14. #20

    Default

    Mandela, the man once branded a 'terrorist' by the US
    http://news.yahoo.com/mandela-man-on...051042047.html

    That lasted during Republican and Democrat presidencies. Enjoy that people who hold onto the team mentality.
    Last edited by Whig Out; Dec 07 2013 at 03:00 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why did Reagan sell weapons to Iran?
    By RtWngaFraud in forum Political Opinions & Beliefs
    Replies: 343
    Last Post: Dec 18 2013, 10:34 AM
  2. Replies: 47
    Last Post: Jul 14 2012, 10:00 AM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: Dec 07 2011, 12:58 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct 16 2011, 02:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks