Great news,Food stamps to be accepted at Subway

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by TravisZ, Sep 6, 2011.

1. TravisZ

TravisZ New Member

Great, but I want to use them at Ruth's Christ Steak House!

http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/local_news/providence/providence-subway-food-stamps

4 Providence shops taking part in pilot program

Updated: Tuesday, 06 Sep 2011, 6:06 PM EDT
    Published : Tuesday, 06 Sep 2011, 6:06 PM EDT

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) - Rhode Island is launching a pilot program that will allow homeless, elderly, and disabled people to use food stamps at four Subway restaurants in Providence.

The option will be available to participants in the Food Access Project, which according to The Providence Journal will be available to about 33,000 homeless, elderly or disabled people who are enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (or SNAP).

The project is aimed at providing healthier food options for people who cannot cook for themselves or store nutritious foods.

The federal government gives states the option to allow food stamps to be accepted at restaurants. . According to The Providence Journal report , however, only five states have allowed food stamp use at restaurants; none in New England.

2. Blackrook

Blackrook Banned

If the government gives you food stamps, they get to tell you where you are allowed to eat.

I can't imagine letting the government have that kind of control over my life.

When we get Obamacare, all of us will have no say on which doctors we can see or whether we can have an operation. The govenment will make these decisions for us.

3. jmpet

jmpet New Member

This is really a gray area because Subway serves prepared, ready-to-eat food and food stamps don't. For example, you can't buy an already-cooked chicken with food stamps from the supermarket. And although you can't buy a cooked pizza with food stamps, you can buy a frozen, ready-to-cook one from the frozen section.

This is crossing a line and stating it's because Subway is healthy... well, that's propoganda, or better put successful marketing.

4. saintmichaeldefendthem

saintmichaeldefendthem New Member Past Donor

My thoughts?

I think people are getting too much in food stamps if they can afford to eat out with it. Food prepared at restaurants will always be far more expensive than buying groceries at a grocery store. Fast food is the most inefficient use of taxpayer dollars to feed others.

5. BleedingHeadKen

BleedingHeadKen Well-Known Member Past Donor

No kidding. For the cost of one sandwich I can prepare a tasty, healthy meal for 4 people inside 20 minutes. I do it all the time, which is probably why I, like many others, manage to live well on what I earn rather than live on foodstamps and wonder where my next entitlement benefit is going to come from.

6. GiveUsLibertyin2012

GiveUsLibertyin2012 New Member

I know some Jack In Da Cracks in Californicated allow EBT cards to buy food .

7. conBgone

conBgone Banned

No they don't.
    They restrict where you eat and what you buy by disallowing hot food to be purchased. I'll bet Subway won't be allowing hot food with food stamps. Wouldn't want the poor to have a hot meal, ya know...

May you never find yourself in need of it.

And loving it.

More grey..., you can buy a cooked chicken, after it's been put out for food stamp purchase, and gets cold.

Tell that to those that have no homes to store food safely or cook it. Be truly poor for a year without any fall back, it may do you a world of good.

Someday you too will be begging, better hope libs are still in control, or groove on the con death diet, it works!

8. BleedingHeadKen

BleedingHeadKen Well-Known Member Past Donor

You authoritarians all feed on a diet of violence, misery, and death, whether you label yourselves as conservatives or "liberals." Of course, you like when people beg, so you can feel good about yourself when you give a little of what you have stolen from others. A truly compassionate person does wish ill on others, such as hopping that they go begging. One can only conclude that your false mantle of altruism is built on envy.

9. Dispondent

Dispondent Well-Known Member Past Donor

I despise the government in 99% of all things, but if you are using my (*)(*)(*)(*)ed money, you should be eating in places that I approve of, and fast food or ready to eat (call signs for too (*)(*)(*)(*)ing lazy to cook it yourself) are acceptable, there is a problem. Being poor shouldn't be easy, making it easier will never motivate anyone to become better.

10. GiveUsLibertyin2012

GiveUsLibertyin2012 New Member

What kind of impression does one make with their date when they whip out a EBT Card to pay for dinner?:omg:

11. Dispondent

Dispondent Well-Known Member Past Donor

If one is dating a 'person' that would be ok with that, the problem is much deeper. Sadly there is an entire sub-culture that Obama has created that are more than willing to accept that situation. One using my money should not be expected to treat a date out to dinner on said monies. They should be looking for and getting jobs, not flaunting their inability to be successful in a nation that has always thrived on the innovative thoughts and hard working attitudes.

12. conBgone

conBgone Banned

What other planet would that be on?

13. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

Well it's obvious you and your ilk don't hold any stigma against those on government assistance, therefore... Earth.

Without social stigma there can be no societal peer pressure to achieve gainful employment at any cost. It's a civic duty to have a job, no matter how menial.