The 2012 Golf Season is On!

Discussion in 'Sports' started by arjay, Mar 25, 2012.

1. arjay

arjay New Member

At the Moment, Tiger Woods & Graeme McDowell are in a final round duel at the Arnold Palmer Invitational. I'm gonna be bouncing back & forth between this & the NCAA basketball, but Ky. is winning big, so it'll be difficult to stay way from the golf. Is Tiger back? Let's hope so. It should be a great golf season. :love:

2. raymondo

raymondo Banned

Why are the British monopolising everything ?
    World number one , two and three .
    Is it that much of an IQ game?

3. arjay

arjay New Member

Um, no they don't.
    1)Luke Donald, Eng.
    2)Rory McIlroy, N.Ireland
    3)Lee Westwood, Eng.
    The U.S. owns 10 of the Top 20 spots in the world. In my opinion, the world rankings are dubious, because neither Donald nor Westwood have won a major.
    It's a possibility that anybody who has/had it in the near past/future may only be keeping it warm for Tiger.

4. arjay

arjay New Member

Correction, the U.S. now owns 11 of the top 20 spots. The Arnold Palmer results have just been calculated in. Congrats to Tiger!

5. raymondo

raymondo Banned

I suppose Americans are so used to losing -- Wars are their major sport --- that any consolation they can find in the stats is an encouragement for them .
    Regardless , having our boys as numbers one , two and three puts the UK firmly at the top .
    It's about Quality , Yankee Boys , not size .

6. old timer

old timer New Member Past Donor

Well, we sure didn't lose when we kicked your british arse out of this country and then again in 1812

7. ronmatt

ronmatt New Member

Glad to see Tiger winning again...hope it's a sign of things to come. He not only brought so much to the game, technically...but he brought golf to the forefront of sports...nationally and internationally...I think that there's a lot of new talent in the PGA that wouldn't be here if it weren't for Mr. Woods.

8. arjay

arjay New Member

So very true. Tiger Woods isn't the reason I play golf(or attempt to), but he is very much the reason I watch it on TV. Hopefully he's back. I think he is.

9. gophangover

gophangover Well-Known Member

Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicolas and Tiger Woods were on the eighteenth green when they got struck by lightening and went up to heaven. God was sitting on his thrown and asked them what they believed. Arny said, "I believe in being faithful to my fans." Jack said,"I believe in the integrity of the game." Tiger said, "I believe you're in my seat, get up."

10. arjay

arjay New Member

Well, whatever. I'm not jingoistic. I like Donald, McIlroy & Westwood, & have picked 'em to win and/or rooted for them at various times, as well as Adam Scott, K.J.Choi & others. Feel free to give me a shout next time or ever a Brit wins Wimbledon. You know, the tennis tournament that's played in England every year!

11. kronikcope

kronikcope Active Member

2008 Olympic medal count.

USA - 110
    Great Britain - 47

2010 Winter Olympic medal count

USA - 37
    Great Britain - 1

Any fat goofball can be good at golf. If you see people smoking and drinking beer during an activity it's probably not even a sport.

12. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

Golf is set to be an Olympic sport in 2016.

Regarding Tiger Woods, he won against a fairly weak field...how he does in the Masters will be more telling if indeed he once again is a force to be reckoned with in the great game of golf.

It's a game of skill more so than athletic prowess, that shouldn't take away from it's place in sports however. Heck they have Poker tournamernts on ESPN, is that really a sport?
    Golf is a sport, is it Mixed Martial Arts? Of course not, but it's still a sport.

13. raymondo

raymondo Banned

Mister Murray will be very close this year --I'll go no further than that .
    Federer is 90-95% of the player he once was , it will be about the time of the year Nadal finds his wonky knees letting him down , and now Andy has the measure of Djokovic . If he is 3-1 or longer , that will be tremendous value .The rest are there to make up numbers .imo

14. raymondo

raymondo Banned

You Yankee Boys love setting yourself up for a huge slap!!

It seems to me that Team GB were about 150% more successful than the US once you pro rata population .
    And of course our boys are mostly amateurs who just put in a bit of practise the week before , have a few beers and go out and do their best .
    I am sure the story would be the same ( pedigree always counts) in the Winter Olympics . Unfortunately we don't really do snow over here and simply enter to be sporty and friendly .
    But in the Track and Field , we obviously have a lot to teach your over paid and highly sponsored team . There was a time when the Yankees could sprint , probably because they had lots of practise in their wars when running away .Seems the tiny island of Jamaica has cut you right out of the game .
    I see a big humiliation for Team US this time .

15. raymondo

raymondo Banned

16. gophangover

Three guys were on the first tee when a lady came up and asked to join them. She played left handed and kicked their arses, so they asked for a rematch. Next day she met them on the first tee at 10am and played right handed and kicked their arses. Humiliated, the guys demanded one more chance. So she said she'd see them same time the next day. But next day she didn't show up till 10:30 and was playing left handed again. One of the guys asked her what made her decide to play left or right handed. She told him that when she wakes up in the morning, if her husband is laying off to the right she plays right handed and if he's laying over to the left she plays left handed. Guy asks, "Well what if he's got morning wood?" She says, "Then I'm 30 minutes late."

17. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

I was going to be nice and defend golf as a sport, but now you're just being an idiot.

Does Dunkirk ring a bell..

The Limeys got their proverbial asses handed to them by the Germans....and only Hitler's poor judgment saved them from total annihilation.
    The only running away done by the Allies in the entirety of WWII was the Limeys retreating back to GB over the English channel....at Dunkirk.

Operation Market Garden?

Thank the not so brilliant Gen. Montgomery for that fiasco....

18. kronikcope

kronikcope Active Member

The Olympics, unfortunatly, harbors a few events that require no athletic ability, and golf will soon join sailing, archery, and table tennis in that catagory. It's just a game. Does it require a skill? Sure it does, but athletic prowess combined with a skill it does not. And no, poker is obviously not a sport. Like golf it requires a skill set with no athletic ability involved.

19. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

Most of the top professionals are in good physical condition. Yes, you've got your John Daly's who smoke two packs a day and are overweight...but the consistently top golfers stay in shape.

It's not a sport that requires above average athletic skills, that is it's appeal...all ages can participate.

It's a life long sport and it deserves recognition in the Olympics. Getting good at it on the Olympic level requires lots of practice...thousands of golf shots...
    that takes it's toll physically.

It's not wrestling or track and field..but it is a sport.

20. gophangover

Poker is a sport, that's why it's on ESPN. If you can shoot par on a 7,000 yard course on your first try, then you can say there's no athletic ability involved. Otherwise you're talking out your arse. BTW, it's a four mile walk around the course, four days in a row, plus 72 swings of a golf club.

21. kronikcope

kronikcope Active Member

What in the world are you talking about? In 2008 the US won 23 medals in track and field events compared to the Britains pathetic 4, and your Athletic Performance director stood down due to a horrible showing by Britain.

22. kronikcope

kronikcope Active Member

Lol, awesome logic. I supposed Monolopy and Chinese Checkers are sports too?

And 4 whole miles walking?!? And 72 golf swings!!! Talk about brutal. Guys like Daley probably have to cut their smoking down to 1 pack a day for such a grinding athletic event. I bet the burn over 200 calories!

23. raymondo

raymondo Banned

Yes, a disastrous misprint .
    I was three chapters ahead and meant Summer Olympic figures , where the original points still hold .
    I believe that error is itself worth some sort of medal .But I do not wish to be told which. .

Although you did not pick up that 23 to 4 equates to identical performance after pro rating population .
    Not so pathetic after all .

24. gophangover

If there was no athletic ability involved, women would be playing with the men in the PGA. Women don't play the men in tennis either.

What's the difference between a golf ball and a Cadillac? Tiger can drive a golf ball three hundred yards.

25. gophangover

It's called golf because all the other four letter words were already taken.