Fifth consecutive poll shows national majority support for same-sex marriage

Discussion in 'Gay & Lesbian Rights' started by DevilMay, Nov 14, 2012.

1. DevilMay

DevilMay Well-Known Member

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ll-majority-of-americans-support-gay-marriage

Why are Congress so out of sync with the population? Before DADT got repealed around 80% of Americans including the majority of REPUBLICAN voters supported its repeal. In the end only 6 Republican senators and 15 out of 175 Republican representatives supported the bill to end DADT.

ENDA.. the act that seeks to ban workplace discrimination on account of sexuality, again a vast majority of Americans support it yet it's been difficult to get even ONE Republican on board. What the hell?

The fact that a majority of Americans support same-sex marriage should send a message to congress to get the Respect for Marriage Act passed, but that stands no chance under a Republican controlled house. Why are Republicans simply not listening to the electorate?

2. Perriquine

Perriquine On hiatus Past Donor

Follow the money trail. Our representatives no longer represent us. Instead it's about payback for extremist campaign funders and the possibility of getting a cushy lobbying job upon leaving office.

3. Perriquine

Perriquine On hiatus Past Donor

Also keep in mind that supporters tend to be much more apathetic and less-motivated than those lobbying against equality.

4. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

also keep in mind, popularity contests /= determination in right/wrong.

In 1490, if you polled the world, the majority would have said the earth was flat.... but just because a majority said it, wouldn't have made it right....

5. DevilMay

Why is it suddenly when the tables turn on those who oppose equality, that they start claiming "Might =/= right"?! You people were all about the "moral majority", the "32 states who've affirmed marriage as being between one man and one woman" from the time this discussion began all up until a few weeks ago... and now suddenly in light of recent events your arguments are suddenly shifting focus.

People get elected to represent their constituents, not tow party lines. And I think given the Republican's track history of closeted homosexual career politicians who've been enjoying the glory holes and saunas whilst voting against their fellow LGBT citizens civil rights... that we've seen clear evidence that the GOP are pretty much just a party of people who care more about preserving their salaries than doing their jobs as public representatives. They should be ashamed. Partisanship is alive and well...

6. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

you seem to be stereotyping me.... how very openminded of you :rolleyes:

7. DevilMay

In what way was I stereotyping you?

8. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

you are grouping me with others that "oppose equality"

I oppose "equality +1".

if you get fired for gay.... I support you
    if you get your door kicked in and arrested for being gay.... I support you

if you have a good job, and want to share spouse insurance benefits for someone who can't buy their own h.c..... and therefore, having the insurance company pass down the increased cost of coverage onto me.... I don't support that.

9. Osiris Faction

Osiris Faction Well-Known Member

My real question then is, do you then also not support shared health care for heterosexual spouses?

10. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

no....

When I looked into it for me and my (now ex) wife.... it was too much.

my next mrs. beason will have her own job with h.c.

11. Stagnant

Stagnant Banned

Well, at least you're consistent on that issue. The problem is those who aren't consistent, who support such benefits for the spouses of workers but not for homosexual partners. But why, then, do you oppose ENDA? AFAIK, it doesn't enforce or mandate such benefits. All it does is ensure that they are provided equally to gay and straight couples.

12. dixon76710

dixon76710 Well-Known Member

Because they took an oath to uphold the constitution of the US.

13. DevilMay

What does preventing a vote on the Respect for Marriage Act have to do with upholding the Constitution?

14. dixon76710

Equal protection. Any discrimination must meet the requirements of the Constitution, not opinion polls.

15. Osiris Faction

Osiris Faction Well-Known Member

Which is why time and time again when bans on same sex marriage have been taken to court, they have been ruled unconstitutional.

16. DevilMay

Wait wait wait let me get this straight... You think DOMA upholds the principals of the Equal Protection Clause but the Respect for Marriage Act is in conflict with it?...

17. DevilMay

Respect for Marriage Act is DOMA minus Section 3, the very part of the law SCOTUS will strike down.

18. dixon76710

???? Actually, more frequently thay have been ruled to be perfectly constuitutional. You merely only hear about cases where the gays prevail.

19. dixon76710

Of course. Marriage limited to heterosexual couples has a rational relation to a legitimate governmental interest. They are the only couplings that result in children being born. You have no legitimate governmental interest that is only served in the case of heterosexual and homosexual couples. All the court cases cite the formation of stable homes, but heterosexual and homosexual couples ARE NOT the only couples who can form a stable home. ANY TWO people can do that. You cant just grant rights to special innterest groups because they whine the loudest.

20. rahl

rahl Banned

nothing in the constutition prevents same sex marriage.

21. rahl

rahl Banned

every case in the past five years the courts have heard they have ruled against you.

22. rahl

rahl Banned

name some other group that has pushed for marriage equality. you hear about same sex couples more because they are the only couples taking their case to court.

23. dixon76710

Like I said, you cant grant rights based upon who whines the loudest.

24. dixon76710

Always amusing to watch you babble on endlessly about topics you know nothing about. Just from the first page of a google search.

August 9, 2012
    A federal district court in Hawaii has upheld the state’s constitutional ban on same-sex marriage
    http://www.washingtonblade.com/2012/08/09/hawaii-court-upholds-same-sex-marriage-ban/

10/12/2012 04:42:27 PM PDT
    Court upholds Ala. act banning same-sex marriage
    http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_21761617/court-upholds-ala-act-banning-same-sex-marriage

Wednesday, September 01, 2010
    Texas appeals court upholds same-sex marriage ban
    http://jurist.org/paperchase/2010/09/texas-appeals-court-upholds-same-sex-marriage-ban.php

June 30, 2010
    State Supreme Court upholds gay marriage ban
    http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/97469919.html

25. rahl

rahl Banned

Of course you can. the issue before the court is same sex marraige. removing the gender restriction covers every type of couple where a legal kinship does not already exist. If you want to marry your brother, you are going to need to take the issue to court, as it's seperate from same sex marriage.