Would you favor your home utilities paid by taxes?

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by banchie, Dec 21, 2013.

1. banchie

banchie New Member

IF you could have a package deal to have all your home utilities paid for by taxation, would you approve of such a plan? I think it should be divided 50-50 between state and federal taxation.

I would allow the following utilities 100% use of:

lights
    heating and cooling
    water, sewer, garbage
    communications (tv, pc, phone, etc.)

Such a plan would benefit businesses the most, but would also benefit all American households.

2. squidward

squidward Well-Known Member

and you're willing to pay my tax rate in order to get it , .......right ?

3. banchie

banchie New Member

What is your tax rate? How much are the combined items on the list? Which is higher?

4. squidward

It is evindent that you are expecting someone else to subsidize your share.

5. nra37922

nra37922 Well-Known Member

Utility bills are just one more symbol of the oppressive might of the capitalist cabal running the political system. Heating/cooling, water service, gas for the car, sex, drugs and rock and roll are all basic human rights and should be free for the masses. So he!! yeah pay for it with your taxes as I am about to retire at a significantly lower tax rate, heck I may even get myself one of them Obamaphones on your dime...:roflol:

6. wgabrie

wgabrie Well-Known Member Donor

I don't know about supporting that... in that situation, it would probably be cheaper to be requited from taxes so you can pay your utility bills...

I'll support this idea once people have to start paying to work, and they don't have a choice, instead of the other way around.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, "Obama phones" were supposed to give poor, young people a contact number so they could seek a job, but if that's where you're at by all means please do that... you'll be like the only one who did...

7. Mr. Swedish Guy

Mr. Swedish Guy New Member

No, I'd actually count it among the worst ideas I've heard in a while to be honest.

8. smevins

smevins New Member

Absolutely not. There would be no motive to conserve in such a system. People would leave their water running 24/7 out of spite; people would be running their heat and AC at the same time. People's lights would be on 27/7/365.

9. Serfin' USA

Serfin' USA Well-Known Member

Well, when it comes to power companies, we kind of already do this.

In exchange for government allowing a monopoly over service, power companies have to keep their rates at a certain level. Every time they want to raise rates, it requires approval by local government.

When it comes to water service, most larger cities have their own state run utility. While service isn't usually paid for by taxes, the running of the utility is usually supplemented by tax money.

10. banchie

banchie New Member

What is your tax rate? How much are the combined items on the list? Which is higher?

Not sure how it would affect me, or you, or a business. Did you figure you came out ahead by going for the one tax, and so you assume I would be subsidized instead of helping others? My thought was to drive down utility costs for everyone, stop this nonsense of people freezing to death in the winter and dying of heat exposure in the summer. It would increase the use of these products/items and expand the energy field when people could use more and demand more. It would make business more competitive, and allow new business growth.

11. johnmayo

johnmayo New Member Past Donor

Sure. Why not then I can air condition my backyard and you would have to pay the bill.

Does the left ever consider efficient use of resources or is it always "make someone pay my bills"? Let me guess, you don't work and plan on the next generation paying for your lifestyle via taxes while you sit around complaining that the rich exploit them? Typical leftist b

- - - Updated - - -

That system is dumb too. Why allow monopolies in these fields? If monopoly cuts costs let them prove it.

12. banchie

banchie New Member

Its ok to tell us why.

13. banchie

banchie New Member

Where would the monopoly be? How about we allow as many energy producers in as wish to come in. Nowhere did I say anyone should be eliminated, instead it would expand the field as demand increased. No need to prove anything, this is hypohetical debate of unknowns. Just an opinion thread of what you think, ok?

14. Sadanie

Sadanie Well-Known Member Past Donor

Well, I wouldn't be against the idea IF there is some REASONABLE guide lines.

For exemple, why would the tax payers pay for the "foot print" utilities of a 7000 sf home that is occupied by 2 elderly people (as is the case in my neighborhood in about 6 houses) at the same level of the "foot print" utilities of a 1400 sf home occupied by 5 people?

I think there would need to be a "basis" per inhabitant, not per house, and certainly not a "blank check!"

15. Bluespade

Bluespade Banned

I prefer to deal with utilities myself. I've got pretty efficient in my power usage and cost savings. I don't feel the need to subsidise other people's energy habits.:rolleyes:

16. banchie

banchie New Member

Hmm, I see, so we would be on our way in that area.

17. xAWACr

xAWACr Member

It doesn't sound like you have any idea what you're talking about.

18. Daggdag

Daggdag Well-Known Member

Some people don't use some utilities. I don't use public water. I have a well and a private water system on my property. So, why should I have to pay for city water as part of my taxes. I think it's better to have utilities private, but have them regulated to make sure they can't screw their customers.

Now, if these taxes were limited to people who use those utilities, and those, like me, who don't use them were exempt, I say go for it.

19. banchie

banchie New Member

I guess your answer might be, don't sign up for utility use (from the OP list) which would cut a percentage from your property tax for whatever utility's you chose to do for yourself. It might make a good way for people to get the incentive to make their property's self-sufficient, while expanding the energy industry for products and services.

20. banchie

banchie New Member

I guess you can do without cable tv, phone and communication services? If so, you wouldn't be taxed.

I would allow the following utilities 100% use of:

lights
    heating and cooling
    water, sewer, garbage
    communications (tv, pc, phone, etc.)

21. banchie

banchie New Member

It sounds like you finally figured out what this thread is about, a hypothetical thread of ideas, because it has never been tried, so no even you have no idea what you are talking about because their is no available data in this area of ideas here. Climb on the I don't know train, but this is what I think rail station.

22. Daggdag

Daggdag Well-Known Member

TV, phone and internet service are not considered utilities. I get them from a private company.

I have a private garbage company that picks up my garbage.

My home is powered completely by solar power, and a wind turbine.

My heat comes from the solar panels and my air conditioning system is powered by it, with coolant bought from a private company.

Like, I said, it own a private well, and have a system to draw the water and purifiy it. I have a tank on my property that holds up to 5000 gallons of water, which lasts me quite a while.

My sewage is kept in a septic tank and a private company collects the waste.

23. squidward

if yours goes down, someone else's goes up.

no, but you did. You thought of it as a means to lower your personal bill.

24. JIMV

JIMV Well-Known Member Past Donor

No, it would put government in the business of rationing the goodies and favoring some citizens over others...

25. squidward

well of course. Why do you think he thought of it ?