Bakery pays over $135K for refusing to make cake for gay wedding

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by sec, Dec 29, 2015.

1. cd8ed

cd8ed Well-Known Member Past Donor

What a bunch of hyperbole; this was a fine for failure to abide by state laws, posting personal information online with the intent to cause harassment and subsequent penalties and interest due to the bakeries unwillingness to work with the state.

Typical of those pandering to a particular political ideal - it's wrong when the side you disagree with does something but you cheer when your side is able to get revenge with the same policies. You people act like this is a football game.

The panel didn't not want them to profit off of violating state law but I agree the fine was excessive, they should have just revoked their business license.

What policies in effect here is the right going to use to attack back, since this was an issue of public accomidation I don't see how anyone (except bigots) would be attacked by adding to the accomidation guidelines.

2. Grizz

Grizz New Member

Naw. Waste of my time since you are apparently closed to reason, preferring instead to hurl third grade insults.

3. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

Third grade insults ...where?

I don't see any.

Here's what I see Grizz.

I brought historically documented fact about the parallels between the rise of histories worst tyrants and the methodology of how they herded ignorant and emotionally outraged persons to support them and the current state America.

You either lack an education in history and don't understand the very basic point I'm making, or you do understand it but cant bring yourself to own up to reality.

Either way it upsets you deeply because it shows the truth about radical liberalism and so you respond.

But you cant refute what I'm saying so you side step it and hurl dismissive nonsense at me.

In other words: you have lost this exchange.

You should oppose this type of tyranny if for no other reason than because it could one day be used against you.

Remember, the Democrats wont be in office forever.

Obama and his lawless thugs have left a very terrifying series of legal precedents for the next Republican.

What if that Republican chooses to make use of them?

I'm certainly concerned that they will.

And if you could break away from the strangle hold of ignorance that the Democrats have you in ...you would be concerned too.

4. Daniel Light

Daniel Light Well-Known Member

Gay couple walks into a bakery and demands a cake.

Your response? OMG! OMG! THE WORLD IS ENDING! AARRGGGHHH! The Horror! The Horror! Someone get the lighter fluid so that I can light my hair on fire! Brethren, Rend Thy Clothes - the Horsemen are upon us !!!

Meanwhile 20,000 same sex marriages have gone off quietly and Donald Trump has sued 10 more people ...

Whatever ...

5. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

Thanks for making a display of the very ignorance I detailed in my post.

6. bwk

bwk Well-Known Member

Not that you would listen, but when the fetus is in the womb developing as a either male or female, the brain is also developing. In that process the brain sends the signal to match the sex being developed. Not always that signal is sent or in what research has shown, "decided". It's all about the brain matching the sex. Sometimes the brain is unable to decide, during that development. Laugh it off all you like. But that is what I have been reading and hearing from serious research, and that is about as simple as I can explain it.

7. Grizz

Grizz New Member

:roflol: Sorry about the laughter, but I just couldn't help myself guffaw at your projection(s). After more than a few decades, my solid support for Repubs dissolved when I saw what they had become and where they were headed. I wasn't totally thrilled with Dems (still aren't), but as any sailor will tell you - "any port in a storm" - and what the Republicans have visited on this country I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Now, if they are put back in power, they vow to not only continue with their wacky economic policies but their 19th Century social policies as well. If that's your thing, then go for it, but expect to see me in your face each and every time the R's embrace one more crazy policy or just lie through their teeth about their various proposals.

8. fireballfl

fireballfl New Member

It is interesting you take such a view. The same views were used in discriminating against blacks in 60s. Legal, at the time, but wrong all the same.

9. sec

sec Well-Known Member

blacks are born that way. There is zero medical proof that one is "born homosexual"

Try as I may, I will never be a white male (or female either)

But, at the drop of the hat, I could go find myself an under-age boy and do my best impression of Harvey Milk

Do you understand the difference between choice and how one is born?

10. fireballfl

fireballfl New Member

There is zero proof one is not. Whether one is born gay or not, the argument is dead on the equality front. The argument was not over one wishes to think they were born one or another, the argument now heads off to the way a person is.

And I have to ask, what difference does that make to me? This seems to reek of a "look at me" sort of moment like I am supposed to care who or what you are and I am supposed to treat you differently based on this.

[QUOTE}But, at the drop of the hat, I could go find myself an under-age boy and do my best impression of Harvey Milk[/QUOTE]

You have issues and serious ones at that. You have so broad brushed people and think they are the same. Maybe I should start doing the same exact thing to you and start seeing how you like it? 9/11 terrorists were all straight..... killed lots of people. Hitler, straight, killed lots of people. Want me to continue on this?

Do you understand the difference in how one person is or isn't or is your main focus on raparitive therapy and turning someone into the Walking Dead?

11. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

Born what way?

So? Jews weren't born Jews, do you condone the treatment the received in the 1800s?

Try as I may, I will never be a white male (or female either)

I certainly do. But you aren't making a valid point. It is a choice to be Jewish, or christian, so is it permissable to discriminate agains't folks that make those choices? Keep in mind I can support a religious reason for being gay.

12. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

Or even chooses to be. One Chooses to be Christian or Jewish. I know that is a religion. But religion is not defined by the government and thus it can be anything. I can find bible verses that say that I must be gay. I must take a same sex partner. And nobody can say anything against it because it is not their place to define my religion.

Basically put religion is a double edged sword.

13. cd8ed

There is zero medical or logical proof that sexuality is a choice - and no one argues one is born with religious affiliations. What is your point again? Do you even have one any longer?

:wink:

14. AboveAlpha

AboveAlpha Well-Known Member

1st rule of Business.....GIVE THE CUSTOMER WHAT THEY WANT!!! And make a profit doing so!

How insecure in their own faith and sexuality does a person have to be to deny making a wedding cake jut because it is a bit different?

As an Alpha Male well beyond average...it SICKEN'S ME TO MY VERY CORE!!!

What...were those who baked the cake worried they were going to catch...GAY COODIES??

Unreal!

AboveAlpha

15. Texas Republican

Texas Republican Well-Known Member Past Donor

I would have baked the cake and used chocolate Ex-Lax for the frosting.

16. danielpalos

danielpalos Banned

If they won't go, not-for-the-profit-of-lucre in public accommodations, how morally serious can they be.

Simply going for-profit means not for morals but for profit.

17. supaskip

supaskip Well-Known Member

Good ol' USA., eh.
    This is exactly where we have put ourselves over the last 40 years.

18. sec

sec Well-Known Member

what supporters of the punishment fail to realize that if a Christian asks a homosexual to perform services for an event that clearly identifies the gay lifestyle as evil and a sin, and the homosexual refuses, fairness demands that the homosexual also be punished.

If they flip on that and at that point deem the homosexual does not need to provide services, then we are into selectively choosing who does or doesn't get 1st Amendment rights.

19. ElDiablo

ElDiablo Banned

'Consider the obvious problem of survival for individuals who allegedly possess a gay gene: individuals who have partners of the same sex are biologically unable to reproduce (without resorting to artificial means). Therefore, if an alleged “gay gene” did exist, the homosexual population eventually would disappear altogether. We now know that it is not scientifically accurate to refer to a “gay gene” as the causative agent in homosexuality. The available evidence clearly establishes that no such gene has been identified. Additionally, evidence exists which documents that homosexuals can change their sexual orientation. Future decisions regarding policies about, and/or treatment of, homosexuals should reflect this knowledge.'

http://www.trueorigin.org/gaygene01.php

20. lynnlynn

lynnlynn New Member

Homosexuals cannot change their sexual orientation. They are born this way and its nature's way of controlling population growth.

21. sec

sec Well-Known Member

link to medical test please

22. cd8ed

Your source is invalid - there is zero evidance that an individual who is homosexual can change their attractions. They can refuse to engage in homosexual relations but that does not change their orentation. Also, evolution is not a theory - it is fact.

I am not making the claim that there is a gay gene, like you said it would self eliminate - most reaserch has shown it is a combination of either environmental actors during early development, varying elevated or decreased levels of particular hormones during pregnancy of a combination of the two.

In the end this argument is hypocritical; religious persons 100% choose their religion and attempting to frame the argument that discrimination against gay people is acceptable because it is a "choice" is a direct afront to the protections religious persons enjoy.

23. ElDiablo

ElDiablo Banned

The source is valid but on the other hand you are>>>>Wong, wong and wong....nice of you to share your opinion though. http://illinoisfamily.org/homosexuality/homosexuals-admit-sexual-orientation-can-and-does-change/

Homersexuals never want to talk about the 'dark side' of homersexuality....all the diseases, the suicides etc.etc. and so on and so forth. Public schools teaching that the lifestyle is a good alternative life style has led to much tragedy amongst coinfused teens...innumberable deaths.

In truth it is a death lifestyle. Gore vidal said there was no such thing as 'homosexuality' just homosexual sex or sumptin like dat.

Anyhow....all the 'concern' that some want to project regarding discrimination............should be transformed into a consciousness of all the diseases and lives snuffed out way too early.

The politics of protecting the alleged homersexuals has had huge, huge problems in the arena of public health.....look at aids.........which could have been stopped early on if not for the fear of violating homersexuals civil rights..............outrageous.

Some reasons why the theory of evolution is wrong.....................
    http://humansarefree.com/2013/12/9-scienctific-facts-prove-theory-of.html

24. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

I can't imagine why, especially when they are greeted by folks who claim they are defective deviants.

Imagine being a teen realizing their sexual orientation and then reading the vile and hateful garbage that Christians post on this forum about how awful gays are, how they like striking their, and this is a direct quote, "jimmys" into others, how they will die from AIDS and are sinners.

The love that Christians express as bigoted hatred towards gays is absolutely amazing.

25. ElDiablo

ElDiablo Banned