Is the belief that homosexuality is sinful homophobic ?

Discussion in 'Opinion POLLS' started by bricklayer, Dec 25, 2013.

1. bricklayer

bricklayer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Literally, homophobia is the fear of oneself. In the 1970s the term was employed to imply that any negative estimation of homosexuality emanated from latent homosexuality and that the degree of negative estimation was commensurate with the degree of latent homosexuality. It was meant to imply that the only reason people disapproved of homosexuality is because they are themselves homosexual.

The employment of the term evolved over the years to imply that any negative estimation of homosexuality emanated from hatered of those different from oneself and that the degree of negative estimation was commenurate with the degree of intolerance of those different from oneself. It was meant to imply that the only reason people disapproved of homosexuality is because they only approve of themselves.

It seems to me that the working definition of homophobia employed by those who do not have a negative estimation of homosexuality has now shifted to imply that homophobia is the belief that homosexuality is a sin.

2. Cdnpoli

Cdnpoli Banned

Xtians believe if it's in the bible then everyone must adhere to their code of conduct and consider it a bad thing. They think their views can't be offensive because it's what their bible teaches. It does not count if I find their beliefs offensive because the bible is the word of god and that vindicates them apparently.

3. apoState

apoState New Member

Dictionaries don't have the most thorough explanations of words but the current definition according to Webster is:

So, I would say merely thinking it is a sin is not homophobia. However, if you let that belief color your actions or attitudes towards homosexual or homosexuality then it could be homophobia.

Of course religious people may think aversion to or discrimination against homosexuals because their religious book tells them it is a sin constitutes a "rational" reason. I would of course disagree.

4. Mr. Swedish Guy

Mr. Swedish Guy New Member

Yeah, it's kind of sad isn't? That homophobia, from the greek words for 'same' and 'fear', for some reason now refers to hatred of homosexuals, despite the two words having little to do with homosexual or hatred. I mean, how hard can it be for people to come up with words that make sense?! gosh!

5. Karma Mechanic

Karma Mechanic Well-Known Member

Language is dynamic. Words mean things because we agree they do. It makes sense because someone used it a certain way and it stuck. Many words change over time. "For some reason" is that people agreed to the meaning. There isn't a cabal that decrees it.

Think for example of two words.

1. Twerking---that butt gyrating thing that that girl with daddy issues from Nashville does. It is used everywhere.

2. Amazballs--a stupid phrase used in a select group that is being pushed by one narcissist from LA. It isn't catching on.

Words only mean things because we agree they do.

6. reallybigjohnson

reallybigjohnson Banned

I am a Christian and I was raised that you should never hate gay people but that what they were doing was sinful at least in according to the old testament. Later on as I evolved into a Libertarian I changed my views but at no point was I ever taught that gay people were evil or that they should be harmed in anyway. If anything it was almost like we were supposed to feel sorry for them and try to point out the error of their ways.

Homophobic in my view would be someone like Reverend Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church who have a completely nutty view and a clearly deep seated hatred of gays to the point that they celebrate the death of soldiers just for being in the military even if the soldiers themselves were not gay. I know for a fact that homophobic is thrown around so much that it has become as perfunctory as throwing out the race card at this point. I know plenty of good hearted people that have no issues with gays including people who don't even see it as a sin who are opposed to gay marriage for no other reason than "If it isn't broke, then don't fix it". They don't hate gays and have no problems associating with them and becoming good friends but they just don't want marriage changed just for the sake of change. Yet these people are always labelled as homophobic by the ranting nutjobs at organizations such as GLAAD.

It has gotten to the point that I might just start saying that gay people shouldn't get married just to (*)(*)(*)(*) off the Angry Gay Brigade. :roll: While I disagree with people that oppose the right of states to allow gay marriage I find people that are constantly calling for the opposing view to be silenced far more obnoxious.

7. Mr. Swedish Guy

Of course, but new words aren't formed by picking out random irrelevant words from dead languages. Typically they make some sense, like telephone which is greek for distant + sound. Same+fear makes no sense if you want a word that means hatred of gays.

8. Karma Mechanic

Karma Mechanic Well-Known Member

except that happens all the time.

We change the meaning of words that exist or use words in ways that are suggested by their origin.

Texting the act of sending a text message. (All written messages are text however so.....)
    Application or ap....meaning a small computer program
    Bracketology...discussing the NCAA basketball tournament potential outcomes.

like homophobia the words chosen weren't irrelevant....they were connected in some way that made sense. You might think it was irrelevant but the fact that it caught on shows you are wrong. In fact fear of the same in this context makes a great deal of sense.

BTW there is a dinosaur called Dracorex hogwartsia--I remember when the Paleontologist told me about the name making it sound latin and all. Are you butt hurt by this too?

9. bricklayer

In my opinion, homosexual fornication is of less gravity than heterosexual fornication. Homosexuals do not have the biological capacity to inflict the same disgrace as do heterosexuals.

To me, homophobia is revealed in those who believe that homosexual-fornication is a sin of greater gravity than heterosexual-fornication.

10. Mr. Swedish Guy

-ing is an english verb forming suffix. texting makes total sense.

application means 'a joining to, an attaching to'. And it refers to smaller programs taht are attached to the computer, enabling it to do things it cannot do by itself. and ap is just an abbrevation. makes total sense.

That you bring up these as examples of how it 'happens all the time' shows that you have no clue.

Yes, I'm aware that homophobia now refers to hatred of (*)(*)(*)(*), but all I'm saying is that it's plentifully stupid to use that words for that. About as smart as starting to use cat to refer to trees, literally as stupid.

Why would I be butt hurt by that? stop making a fool out of yourself, as you obviously do not understand.

11. pjohns

pjohns Well-Known Member

That is a downright cartoonish portrayal of what Christians (not "Xtians") believe.

Christians believe that there is nothing inhrerently offensive about the belief that their Holy Book is both inerrant and infallible; and that the prevailing views of the current culture must be judged according to how closely they comport with biblical teachings, rather than the other way around.

And Christains have also noticed the hypocrisy of those who would presume to issue unsolicited lectures on the virtue of tolerance toward those who wish to, say, burn the American flag, or spout iconoclastic views; but whose definition of tolerance does not extend to those holding traditional views on just about any subject.

12. little voice

little voice New Member

Sometimes the definition of a word changes
    The definition of gay was happy
    And a joint was a place
    Now both words have altogether different definition

13. Mr. Swedish Guy

In my view they still mean those things. If only homosexuals and pot heads would stop hijacking our words..

14. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

For a long time those that beat and sometimes killed gays was out of fear. Not sure what the fear was and still is, but 1 seems to be they think that gays can some how convert those who aren't gay to be gay.
    So it kinda stemmed from the actions of those who did bad things to gays. Physically and verbally.

15. Mr. Swedish Guy

Still smarter to use the greek or latin word for hatred. Using phobia in this sense is confusing as there are other words like arachnophobia or aquaphobia in which phobia retains its original meaning of fear. One would think homophobia would follow the pattern and refer to yet another disorder.. but maybe that's was intended?

16. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

People didn't understand gays. They did fear them. And it was the fear of them that got the term associated with people who are against gay anything.
    Many still fear them today. You read it right here in this forum.
    They will instill horrible beliefs in our schools. They will create filth in the minds of children. Some even think they will force someone else to be gay.
    Out of ignorance comes this fear.

17. bricklayer

Your willingness to list examples, like the ones above, conjured out of your own prejustices says a great deal about you.

Remember where you're writing; everything is archived, and you cannot back up any of the 'examples' you give above.

How was it put? Oh yes, "Out of ignorance comes this fear."

18. goober

goober New Member

Actually, the language doesn't work like that.

The root word of Homophobia isn't homo it's homosexual, it's a fear of homosexuality and homosexuals.

19. Mr. Swedish Guy

But hatred of and fear of are two different things. Arachnophobes do not hate spiders but fear them, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who hate gays without fearing them. Anyways, it's semantics. And let's not forget the other half of the word which only means 'same'. Fear of the same? Doesn't seem very connected to gays.

No not really. were you talking about homosexualophobia you would be right. but you're not.

20. goober

goober New Member

Actually we shorten the word, it's "homophobia" and it means fear of homosexuality and homosexuals.
    That's how English works....

And back to the OP.
    Believing homosexuality is a sin is homophobic, and is a mild mental disorder, that many people suffer from.
    However, as the culture is beginning to view this as a negative trait, it will diminish with over time.

21. bricklayer

You are in error.

22. Cdnpoli

Cdnpoli Banned

Blah blah blah.

I'm not tolerant to the things that I don't like. Which is religion. Don't like it? I do not care. I'm not tolerant.

23. apoState

apoState New Member

Like why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway? Amirite? ;)

(Credit to Carlin)

24. pjohns

pjohns Well-Known Member

Those who share your intolerance should not lecture traditional Americans as regarding the virtue of tolerance...

25. Cdnpoli

Cdnpoli Banned

I've spent 20 years in a cult. Aka religion. I think I have a fairly good idea how harmful religion is and therefore does not deserve my tolerance. Gay people making a life for themselves is hardly harmful.