Trump's immigration policy could hurt U.S. farmers, but there is a solution...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Angrytaxpayer, Feb 17, 2017.

1. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

Why should it solely be for their benefit? They are the ones that broke the law. It's a punishment and quite frankly, a nice gesture, for them to even MAKE money.

2. Questerr

Questerr Banned

There's private prisons right now where prisoners are required to work in for-profit industries. Are they paid market wages? No they aren't. They get a tiny fraction of what a non-slave laborer would.

Those for-profit private prisons have to deliver dividends to their investors and that's one way they do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Money that they will then be charged in order to "cover the costs" of housing them, feeding them, and transporting them, right?

How does that not turn into a "company store" situation?

3. ArmySoldier

Of course they should pay their own rent and food. Do you know how a society works or do you live at your parent's crib?

4. Questerr

Questerr Banned

So they are forced to work at gunpoint for "pay" and then that "pay" is taken away from them again at gunpoint.

Does your landlord regularly come and take all of your money away and then physically harm you if you refuse?

5. Louisiana75

Louisiana75 Well-Known Member Past Donor

So you don't like the idea of having prisoners actually do something for their free room, board, healthcare, food, etc?

6. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Let me guess, if the amount of money they "make" isn't enough to cover the cost of their housing and food, I just tack a few more years on their sentence until they can pay it off right?

It's a win win, the prisoner "gets a job", and my for-profit prison gets slave laborers that it can keep and make profits off of indefinitely.

7. sawyer

sawyer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Be nice if you would verify your claims and I pay for my transportation and food and housing so I fail to see the problem

8. Louisiana75

And they shouldn't see a tenth of it. They get free housing, food, healthcare, etc.

9. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Not for private profits.

10. ArmySoldier

Your suggestion is to force them into a 5X10 cell at gun point. The other choice is for them to make money and contribute to society at gun point. I find your way to be the inhumane and degrading way- as well as the way to breed violence and prison gangs.

- - - Updated - - -

No, that would defeat the process. This is just you dismissing the argument and trying to build a case for slavery, and then pull the race card.

11. Louisiana75

Yes, we are forced to provide housing, food, healthcare, clothing, etc. for these prisoners so they can be forced to work to earn money to help cover some of the expenses. Sort of like how I'm forced to pay for health insurance otherwise pay a hefty fine.

12. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Someone makes you pay for your housing and transport at gunpoint and makes you work at gunpoint?

As for the utter corruption that is private prisons:

http://m.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/06/private-prisons-profit
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-pr...es-big-business-or-a-new-form-of-slavery/8289
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/8144860
    http://www.npr.org/2016/08/25/49134...reveals-crowding-under-staffing-and-inmate-de

- - - Updated - - -

It ls nice to see that the Right considers freedom to be so worthless that they don't see how depriving someone of it is punishment enough.

13. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Why are you deliberately lying about what I have said?

I said quite clearly I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH MAKING PRISONERS WORK. But their work should not be for private profits. It should either be in service of society as a whole or used for the prisoners' own maintenance.

Where exactly did I mention race anywhere? Nice to see you try and put words in my mouth. Apparently it's the rightwingers obsessed with race because you are the one who brought it up.

14. polski

polski Active Member

You mean every time someone calls it slave labor, you call them a leftist.

All that free labor will take jobs away from law abiding Americans.

You don't see a problem with that?

15. ArmySoldier

But private profits will boost the economy, as opposed to DRAINING tax dollars to keep them in cages. There's nothing stronger than thriving businesses. No one ever said that about a prison.

16. Louisiana75

Prisoners don't have or deserve freedom.

17. myview

myview Well-Known Member

I've been saying this for years.

18. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Private profits create a moral hazard to base sentences not on justice but instead on private profits. Do you seriously not see the problem when prison corporations can bankroll the campaigns of the people in charge of sentencing prisoners and when they have the ability to lobby politicians to pass laws criminalizing offenses/preventing decriminalization?

19. ArmySoldier

I see a problem with people breaking the law and being put in a cage while we pay for it. However, I'm speaking of low level crimes (drugs) to be exact. I think that taking Joe out of the prison, giving him a job to contribute to society, either paying him more than enough to afford rent, OR not charge for housing, would be a productive way to educate the convict.

20. sawyer

sawyer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Convicts are kept in prison under gunpoint whether they are working or not and I'm all for them reimbursing tax payers for food and housing and clothing and free medical care. Working or not the only thing convicts lose is freedom,other than that they get a sweet deal.

21. Same Issues

Same Issues Well-Known Member

Prison farm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_farm
    A prison farm is a large correctional facility where penal labor convicts are put to economical use in a farm (in the wide sense of a productive unit), usually for manual labor, largely in open air, such as in agriculture, logging, quarrying, and mining. The concepts of prison farm and labor camp overlap. The historical equivalent on a very large scale was called a penal colony.[1]

Convicts may also be leased for non-agricultural work, either directly to state entities, or to private industry. For example, prisoners may make license plates under contract to the state Department of Motor Vehicles, work in textile or other state run factories, or may perform data processing for outside firms. These laborers are typically considered to be a part of prison industries and not prison farms.

1. Are these state controlled farms or for private farms? We already have some state controlled prison farms that produce food for themselves and some for sale to the public by the state.
    2. Who dictates which individual private entities that will get the subsidized labor, lobbyists? Some will have to get more than others right?
    3. Will this hurt other private entities who will not be entitled to prison labor, or less of a share of it?
    4. What is the turn around for this type of labor?
    5. What if a private farm is using this type of labor near the population?

22. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Why not just decriminalize drugs and have the mommy state stop regulating was people do with their bodies?

But no, the private prison corporation will pour billions of dollars into the pockets of politicians to prevent that from happening.

- - - Updated - - -

Another Rightwinger who thinks freedom is so worthless that losing it is a "sweat deal".

23. ArmySoldier

Now we're diving into conspiracy theories. I'm not against decriminalizing some drugs.

24. polski

polski Active Member

That's a very good point.

Make it legal, tax it, & remove the criminal element from it.
    Give treatment to those that want it, paid for from your tax revenue.

You would start to close prisons.
    Nancy Reagan's just say no....doesn't appear to be working.
    Heroin OD's are everywhere, cities & rural area's.

25. Questerr

Questerr Banned

The private prison industry IS. The spend millions upon millions of dollars every year lobbying against deciminalization.

Not because of any belief that drugs are that dangerous, but because decriminalizing drugs hurts their profits.