MOD ANNOUNCEMENT: Member Debates (Input needed)

Discussion in 'Debates & Contests' started by E_Pluribus_Venom, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

I was attempting to give the benefit of the doubt, but you are most certainly correct.

There seems to be a lack of smart arguments being put forth, and neither side of the aisle is innocent of that charge, in my fine opinion.

I simply do not understand the reticence of those against it when they have stated they want nothing to do with it. Additionally, it is a privately owned site that the owner can do with as he, she, or they please.

2. yguy

yguy Well-Known Member

You can do that now.
    It's not what I'm here for. The best moderation is moderation that doesn't get in my way. To the extent it does, I put up with it because I have no choice if I want to post here.

3. Perriquine

Perriquine On hiatus Past Donor

I don't think you're interested in a serious answer to that question, so you're not going to get one.

I quoted you. The implication of your statement was clear. Not going to revisit it, because I suspect your real motive is to bait me and get me to argue further off-topic. Not going to oblige you.

4. yguy

yguy Well-Known Member

Actually you're just afraid to answer.
    Who in Hell do you think you're kidding?
    What's clear is that you made it up.
    Yer a riot, dude. :)

5. Perriquine

This is what you said:

http://www.politicalforum.com/forum-help-feedback-etc/195409-mod-announcement-member-debates-input-needed-20.html#post4153035

The implication being, that you presume a possible scenario where you might be voted best debater without any evidence betraying anyone having been enlightened by anything you said.

My questions were:
    • Have you received evidence that anyone has been enlightened by what you've said in your regular debating? (You answered 'yes')
    • And why are you assuming you wouldn't see that evidence if you won the debate?

The latter question predicated upon the aforementioned scenario your statement implies. Why do you think that's a possible or likely outcome? And if you don't, then why did you say it?

6. yguy

yguy Well-Known Member

Because that dynamic has been manifesting itself since the days of Christ. Most people will lionize the eloquent messenger rather than understand his message, and such people will just as easily believe lies as they will truth.

7. Perriquine

Ah, now I see your actual point. Thanks for the clarification.

8. Think for myself

If I may offer my suggestions for the structure here.

As debates are generally timed, and that seems a bit impossible, why not have the post count limited, and the order alternating? 10 posts each with a final statement? A limit on the size of the post, say 2,000 characters?

This would keep these things from dragging on for days or weeks, and also change the focus to not just length but also quality of writing?

Just my $.02.

Shangrila and (deleted member) like this.
  9. flounder

flounder In Memoriam Past Donor

Not at all, that's froggers point. What's interesting to you may be dry as toast to another, dont you see? Your quality is not every bodies, or perhaps not even many peoples quality. The utter arrogance of what ''ALL'' should view as good posting is ridiculous, and highly condescending. This is why a mix is the best. This is why people come here, they do not come here to read, they come to participate. One thing for sure, they do not come here to see what ''others'' decide is proper posting,,,HAHAHAHAAH MY GOD!

It's also the reason I said it's Exclusive and should be done as a group. Because that's what it is, it's Exclusive thinking. [Some may call nerd thinking, some may not]
    That does not blend with a site that is known for open posting and debating,,it's the opposite. People who enjoy that are looking for a different type of site. It's a group thing, and should be designated there. I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just not this sites format. As explained to me by a Mod, this is a open posting site, all of a sudden somebody wants to change that? It's not what people signed up for. They should find a site that accommodates them, or open their own group.

10. Agent Zero

Agent Zero New Member

I actually like that idea. One potential problem I saw was a line of debate going on and on without any end to it. Also I think that quotes from news articles, etc. shouldn't count towards the 2,000 characters.

11. Perriquine

See, I don't even think they should be quoting outside sources. Maybe links for references, but the arguments need to be wholly their own.

12. flounder

OK,,,GOT IT....Now nothing is saying you are wrong, but everything points to exclusive, and that Sir is a group.
    If the only thing the OP stated as an objection to group was the mechanics, that can be taken care of easily with different colors for each poster,,,soo easy. Once that is done you can do anything you like, invite who you like, place a Mod if you like,,,anything.

I seriously think you should find out how many want to be in these one on ones first. You seem to be going through a lot of trouble, and you don't even know if you have debaters.

13. Agent Zero

Agent Zero New Member

Ideally, outside quotations would ne used to bolster an argument, not be the argument.

14. frodly

frodly Well-Known Member

:omg: :omg: My word!! :giggle:

15. Perriquine

We've been over this ad nauseum. If what you want is a completely open site, then you should be advocating for the elimination of the private groups. No more mod sticky threads, locked so nobody can comment.

It doesn't change the format if properly implemented. You have yet to address how 99% of the threads being open amounts to them changing the format. You're complaining about something that would be one or a handful of threads, posted only periodically.

You just keep harping on the same failed points without even acknowledging the counterpoints that have been made against them. You're acting as if you haven't been heard or responded to, when you have.

If you really think it's such a serious problem then maybe you should make your own forum where you get to dictate all the rules.

You've seemingly convinced yourself that having a debate competition is a "horrible thing" that will "change the format" of the forum. It's seriously like listening to my nephew (who has mild Aspergers and doesn't cope well with change). He carried on endlessly because they turned off the cable TV in the old house and he had convinced himself there wouldn't be any cable TV in the new house. Didn't matter how many times or ways it was explained to him. He was absolutely convinced of a horrible outcome.

That's exactly what's happening here. You've convinced yourself of some horrible outcome completely divorced from reality, and you refuse to hear reason.

16. Perriquine

Get this through your head right now: There is NOTHING that says the forum has to conform to your idea of what can or can't be exclusive. Zilch, nada, rien, nichts.

You've got something in your head that has nothing to do with what's being discussed, and you simply won't let it go. Repeating it to us over and over changes nothing.

For once, we agree. I really do think they should do some polling to gauge interest.

17. flounder

I would think the ones looking for that option might do that. We like the site without the change...
    However be that as it might, this belongs in group, since that's what it is. I and others don't care what those people do in their own group. Why not put it there and there wont be a problem? You can have your own debating club, what's wrong with that? When you exclude others that's what you are supposed to do,,,you know that.

18. Think for myself

Not a clue what any of that nonsense and vagary has to do with me or anything I said. Please leave me out of your silly argument.

19. flounder

If you are excluding posters,,,it is EXCLUSIVE,,,get that through your head

As long as it is being discussed as exclusive I will repeat it.

Eureka! :handshake:

20. Perriquine

So what? A forum > than a thread. You wanted to exclude people from an entire forum. It's not the same thing. Not even remotely.

At this point doing so is an exercise in mental masturbation.

21. Agent Zero

Agent Zero New Member

There's nothing to indicate that posters wouldn't be allowed to debate.

22. Perriquine

Exactly. Nothing stopping them from discussing, they just don't get to do it in the designated debate thread.

I feel to see how it makes one iota of difference that a person can't post in the debate thread, when they're allowed to otherwise copy & paste from it to have whatever discussion they want in an open thread. It would be different if they were somehow closed off from discussing the topic entirely (as would largely be the case with closing off the Religion forum).

23. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

OK...

Can someone of the the smart ones -- e.g. Agent_Zero, Teamosil, etc. -- explain why they are in favour of this?

I think it's unecessary, exclusive and inappropiate...

Anyhow -- I think it's a terrible idea; I don't see the purpose.

Seems to me that some people want to invent hot water all over again.

24. Agent Zero

Agent Zero New Member

I think it's an interesting idea. That's all. Chances are I will never participate in any capacity (unless I am asked to judge or whatever). I just don't understand all of the hostility. It would not in any way take away from the current structure or contents of the forum. It would be an addition to the forum. It would be something that no one would be forced to participate in. It is not exclusionary in any fashion whatsoever.

25. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

Think of it as a demonstration project for the Debate 101 classroom. Complete with a teacher looking over their shoulder and a panel of judges evaluating their work.

The kiddies will all love it. Adults, not so much.