Jesse Ventura on his loss of patriotism and the Gestapo-like TSA

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Durandal, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Marine1

Marine1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

An artfully concealed non-metallic martial arts weapon called a “Tactical Spike” was found in the sock of a passenger at Pensacola (PNS) after being screened by a body scanner. The only thing I keep in my sock is my foot.
    7) Inert landmines were found at Salt Lake City (SLC). I always travel with mine, don’t you???
    6) A stun gun disguised as a smart phone was found at Los Angeles (LAX). Not very smart to travel with this stunning device.
    5) A flare gun with seven flares was found in a passenger’s carry-on bag at Norfolk (ORF). Hmmm… pressurized cabin + 7 live flares = no good can come from this.
    4) Two throwing knives concealed in hollowed out book were found at Washington National (DCA). Killer book…
    3) Over 1,200 firearms were discovered at TSA checkpoints across the nation in 2011. Many guns are found loaded with rounds in the chamber. Most passengers simply state they forgot they had a gun in their bag.
    2) A loaded .380 pistol was found strapped to passenger’s ankle with the body scanner at Detroit (DTW). You guessed it, he forgot it was there…
    1) Small chunks of C4 explosives were found in passenger’s checked luggage in Yuma (YUM). Believe it or not, he was brining it home to show his family.

If you’re interested in reading about more finds such as these, be sure to read our weekly “TSA Week In Review” blog posts, posted every Friday.
    Honorable mentions:

http://blog.tsa.gov/2012/01/tsa-top-10-good-catches-of-2011.html

2. Marine1

Under Saddam those that didn't get shot in the town square were loaded up in buses never to be seen again.

3. The Real American Thinker

The Real American Thinker New Member

Forget it, Marine. There's not a (*)(*)(*)(*) thing you can say to me to get me to sit quiet while my daughter and fiancee are groped by some sweaty government employee in the name of "safety."

Ben Franklin said that those who give up liberty for security deserve neither.

4. thediplomat2.0

thediplomat2.0 Banned

There are ways to strengthen national security without hindering liberty and individual freedom. Promotion of the right to keep and bear arms in accordance with a well regulated militia could help. Liberalizing our military to display its true might would send shockwaves throughout the world. These two policies alone provide enough leverage geopolitically speaking to make our enemies cower in fear, allowing national interests to reign supreme, while acting as a bastion of diplomatic compassion and virtue.

5. Cubed

Cubed Well-Known Member Past Donor

Ya know, when I first heard about the increased pat downs and the like, I was hesitent on the whole 'personal freedom' notion. I then realized that If I am going to be stuck in an aluminum tube 30,000ft+ in the air for an extended period, I don't want anything at all to impede that. If that means I gotta pose for some xrays or get a little jingle of the coin purse in the off chance that someone somewhere may or may not try and blow my (*)(*)(*)(*) up, so be it.

6. BleedingHeadKen

BleedingHeadKen Well-Known Member Past Donor

What's to stop a bomb-laden terrorist from entering a backed-up airport security line and blowing up a few hundred bystanders?

The people who complain about government intrusion aren't the same people who complain about government failure to protect us against every possible risk. Your argument just doesn't hold water.

However, I"m glad to note that it's just fine by you that we blame government if a plane is blown up by terrorists despite the massive amount of security theater.

7. Marine1

Not a thing unless one of those dog sniffing dogs catches him first.

The ones I have been conversing with feel that our security at the airport is intruding on their freedoms, so it does hold water.

Sure they would. Even after wanting much of that security taken away.

8. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

Jesse rightly pointed out in a radio interview, if not in this same speech, that if a suicide bomber wanted to get us, s/he could easily join the crowd at the TSA line and detonate there :D

They're taking our freedoms in the name of vague threats and they're not giving them back - ever. This is a one-way street.

9. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

Are the drones they're putting into our skies to keep us safe, too? I didn't know there were terrorists running around inside our borders causing mayhem. The news outlets seem to have missed that..

10. Marine1

They could, but I think they rather blow it up in the sky, that way it has a chance of crashing into something causing even more causalities. It's more dramatic having it blow up in the sky. Both those two would be bombers tried to set their explosives off, only after they entered the US air space.

11. The Real American Thinker

The Real American Thinker New Member

Islamic terrorism is only 6% of all terrorist attacks in the US, according to the FBI. Latinos have the highest percentage, and they aren't messing with our planes.

12. Marine1

Yes, we now have drones patrolling our Southern border.

You didn't know we have terrorist running around causing mayhem?

Forty-Five Foiled Terror Plots Since 9/11
    Sep 8, 2011 9:52 PM EDT

As counterterrorism officials investigate a new 'credible' terror threat, records show there have been at least 45 jihadist terrorist-attack plots against Americans since 9/11—thwarted by intelligence work, policing, and citizen involvement. John Avlon reports.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-45-terror-plots-foiled-in-last-10-years.html

13. Marine1

Despite warnings of a potential wave of violent attacks hatched on U.S. soil, research by the Triangle Center on Terrorism and Homeland Security finds that the number of attacks committed by Muslim Americans has fallen for the second year in a row. According to the study, 20 Muslim Americans carried out or were arrested for violent terrorist crimes in 2011, down from 26 in 2010 and 49 in 2009.

Since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, the report said, 193 Muslim Americans have been arrested or convicted of violent terrorist acts. Last year was an average year for such offenses, the Durham, N.C.-based center said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/08/homegrown-muslim-terrorism-2011-study_n_1262501.html

14. My Fing ID

My Fing ID Well-Known Member Past Donor

I could finger you and say it'll keep you safe from lightning strikes if you want, pretty much the same thing only you're more likely to be struck by lightning than killed in an airplane by terrorists. In fact you're statistically much more likely to have the pilot will (*)(*)(*)(*) up and kill everyone or have the plane just fall apart.

15. Zosiasmom

Zosiasmom New Member Past Donor

So we destablized an area that is now producing individuals with a grudge and access to knowledge and funds to return the favor?

Making my point that you're putting misplaced trust in people who, first, cause problems then offer you their version of the solution.

16. Zosiasmom

Would you let a high school student grade his own final exam? If so, would you believe him if he told you he got a "100"?

17. Zosiasmom

Would you let a high school student grade his own final exam? If so, would you believe him if he told you he got a "100"?

18. gamewell45

gamewell45 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think the resolution is easy and simple. Like you I don't like being labeled as a suspect or strip searched so I don't fly. I drive or take the train instead. Its an easy tradeoff for keeping one's dignity.

19. My Fing ID

You forgot the deadly turtles/birds they've found, as well as the science experiment.

10) Snakes, turtles, and birds were found at Miami (MIA) and Los Angeles (LAX). I’m just happy there weren’t any lions, tigers, and bears…
    9) A science project shut down a checkpoint at Omaha (OMA). I wonder if mentioning the shutting down of the checkpoint added enough flare to his presentation to score him some bonus points?

http://blog.tsa.gov/2012/01/tsa-top-10-good-catches-of-2011.html

Yeah, those quotes just ooze with professionalism. Apparently it's amature hour at the TSA site. Oh and I love the "delete-o-meter". Nothing but professional there. Anyway let me link my own list:

Bag filled with primers explodes on landing
    http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2010/12/tsa-misses-bag-explodes-after-flight/

TSA misses a knife in a womans carry-on bag. After realizing the mistake, they put out a message stating that they are looking for a "tall asian male around 20". Link contains a pic of the x-ray, the knife is obvious.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/tsa_misses_knife_in_passenger_luggage_DHAqwDkno9JMO1hOdWPG6L

Man brings loaded gun on plane, TSA misses it
    http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7848683

TSA misses 200k stungun
    http://upgrd.com/matthew/tsa-misses-200000-volt-stun-gun-in-womans-carry-on-bag.html

TSA misses loaded gun in luggage
    http://content.usatoday.com/communi...isses-loaded-gun-in-bag-at-lax/1#.T-d0H7XOyVo

TSA misses box cutters
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/02/jfk-box-cutters-tsa-security-breach_n_830234.html

TSA searches a womans bag due to a bottle, miss antique knife
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...jmyqktLHRssN?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Local

Some of those incidents involved the person being tracked back down, most did not. Only one (the man with the gun) were reported by the person themselves to the media. Makes you wonder how many incidents of people passing weapons through the TSA are not reported. Well, lets look at their test results:

"According to one report, undercover TSA agents testing security at a Newark airport terminal on one day in 2006 found that TSA screeners failed to detect concealed bombs and guns 20 out of 22 times. A 2007 government audit leaked to USA Today revealed that undercover agents were successful slipping simulated explosives and bomb parts through Los Angeles's LAX airport in 50 out of 70 attempts, and at Chicago's O'Hare airport agents made 75 attempts and succeeded in getting through undetected 45 times."
    http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/loaded-gun-slips-past-tsa-screeners/story?id=12412458#.T-d4X7XOyVo

The Sun's recent article regarding security at Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport("Seized at the gate," April 16) omitted the most important statistics about the Transportation Security Administration's performance. The TSA misses 70 percent or more of weapons in testing, the TSA let 17 known terrorists fly past its vaunted behavior detection officers on 24 separate occasions without catching even one, and the TSA let at least 800 guns and a clearly-labeled five-pound block of C4 onto planes last year.
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-04-17/news/bs-ed-tsa-letter-20120417_1_tsa-sommer-gentry-harm

Not too promising.

20. My Fing ID

That's not a real solution. Why should airports be rights free zones just because a bunch of scared fools think being felt up makes them safer?

21. gamewell45

gamewell45 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Why are they 'fools' for being concerned about their safety? That's like calling someone a fool because they don't want to travel through a bad neighborhood at night alone because they fear for their safety.

22. Daybreaker

Daybreaker Well-Known Member

If the neighborhood isn't actually dangerous, and not going through it won't protect you anyway, then yeah, it's kind of foolish, isn't it?

23. Marine1

Well you all convinced me. I think we should save the money and pull all TSA out and allow us our freedom to fly without harassment.

24. My Fing ID

They're not fools for wanting to be safe, they are fools for believing that the patdowns and nudescans make them safe. As I've linked in an above post the TSA regularly misses bombs, guns, and terrorists. They're not stopping anything. Terrorism needs to be fought by our intelligence agencies, not by highschool dropouts with uniforms.

25. mamooth

mamooth Well-Known Member Past Donor

Gestapo-like?

Geez Jesse, get a grip. The TSA is not sending anyone to concentration camps. It's possible to want reforms without looking like a barking lunatic. And acting like a barking lunatic does not make one a brave freedom fighter. You are not in a police state because you were inconvenienced at a place you voluntarily went to.

Real security -- as in well-trained agents -- costs money. We get what we pay for. We want cheap flights, so we pay for cattle-car style security.