Santorum: Obama is ‘a snob’ because he wants ‘everybody in America to go to college’

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Think for myself, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

I see you are using the term "opportunity" to mean free college tuition to be paid for by Obama.

But what opportunity does a high school dropout have who can barely read and write thanks to the incompetent public school teachers?

And if Obama throws billions of free money at the higher education system will not the greedy professors just raise their prices and leave the poor Obama voter right where they started?

I think so.

2. Cigar

Cigar Well-Known Member Past Donor

Ok I can see this is sailing way over the heads of Santorum supporters .... :roll:

On what planet do you think a High School Drop-out gets to take an entrance exam for College?

3. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Not the planet Earth.

Chances are that guy is not going to college even if Obama becomes Dear Leader for life.

4. clarkatticus

clarkatticus New Member

To be honest with you, extended education is the logical answer to our continuing lack of skills problem, and if it's paid for by the state I don't see it as a bad thing. This is not what Obama advocated though, he merely advocated for the ability of everyone to get advanced education. My thoughts are that if a person can show aptitude toward certain studies his or her path will be made easier by grants, given a regular revue for responsibility these grants could take a good student as far as they would go providing the nation with a homemade pool of resources. This is what China and India do and I do not believe that our citizens are any less capable that theirs--do you? I would agree that our education system needs to be overhauled but that is another thread. I guess what it comes down to is this, do you believe in the American people or not? Democrats do, the GOP don't.

5. k995

k995 Well-Known Member

Santorum also whined about how religious people enter college and leave it not believing anymore.

I would think thats its biggest gripe with education: it actually provides knowledge .

6. k995

k995 Well-Known Member

Hey still making up BS what obama said I see? Never get tired of that? Already found a quote from obama where he said such a thing even remotly close?

7. NoPartyAffiliation

NoPartyAffiliation New Member

No, you're wrong. To disagree with Obama, you would have to contend that:

College, Vocational Schools, OJT for manufacturing and Apprenticeships are ALL a waste of time. Because THAT is what he actually said.
    So Yes or No: Is that your position?

I'm anticipating a dodge here but who knows?

8. homerjay_s

homerjay_s New Member

I agree that not everyone is cut out for or would benefit from a college education, but I also disagree with Santorum's assessment that Obama wanting to ensure everyone has the opportunity for a college education is somehow "snobbish".

9. iJoeTime

iJoeTime Banned

10. WatcherOfTheGate

WatcherOfTheGate New Member

Fringe right winger look like fools defending Santorum. Conservatives have become an embarrassment and they wonder why people call them ignorant.

11. jhffmn

jhffmn New Member

In the conservative dictionary, it means everyone has the opportunity to earn a higher degree with their own time and money.

I can tell you in the progressive dictionary it means that tax payers should pay for people to dick around and get women's studies degrees and masters in puppetry.

12. jhffmn

jhffmn New Member

Do you understand what the word 'and' means? Imagine Obama were to say 'let's buy everyone bananas, apples, and oranges' and I were to reply 'oranges are a waste of money'.

If you need me to go into more detail explaining explaining a logical conjunction to you, I would be more than happy to oblige.

So no, I'm not wrong. Also, you are dumb.

13. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

They can get their GED and go to a community college. Our local community college guarantees 2 free years to any student who graduates from a high school in the county and will maintain a good average. They can get a 2-year degree or transfer from there to another college to complete a 4-year degree. We have a vocational school beside the high school that offers training in carpentry, woodwork, mechanics, horticulture, office skills, child care, cosmetology and others. Students come from all over the county to take classes there if they don't plan to go to college. Students who take advantage of one of these opportunities will have an easier time finding a job and make more money than those who don't.

14. Margot

Margot Account closed, not banned

I am impressed...

Training is everything.. even an apprenticeship.

God, Santorum is a scary guy.

15. NoPartyAffiliation

Aww you called me dumb!
    You said you find "higher education" to be a waste of money in a thread in whcih it was specified that Obama referred to higher education as College, OFT training for manufacturing, vocational school and apprenticeships.

So perhaps what you meant is that you were only referring to certain, non-technical or professional four (i.e. BSEE, accounting etc...) year degrees?

16. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

It never occurred to me until I heard some of the stuff here that we must indeed have good schools compared to a lot of others which is surprising since we're a small school as are the other schools in the county. The 2 free years of college has only been implemented in the last 5 years or so and there are kids going to college who would have never dreamed of it otherwise. They have the opportunity to see if they CAN make it and be exposed to fields of study they can follow that they would never have thought about and go on to a 4-year school if they want.

17. clarkatticus

clarkatticus New Member

Wow, talk about missing the point. What Obama said was to allow everyone the ability to have an education, this means "afford" also. As of now this is not the case. Glad you can afford to go, I went using community grants and a high SAT score, even in 1975 the cost of books and matching funds prevented me from a junior year. Your dour opinion of the American youth is typical of the GOP, anybody who cannot afford higher education (or health insurance, food or housing) are obviously not worth an investment. You got yours, screw the rest of the nation.

18. jhffmn

jhffmn New Member

So when I stated that I felt most of higher education was a waste and then expressed in great detail how I felt about liberal arts degrees, what part of that did you find confusing?

Though since you don't seem to understand what the word and means, it's not really surprising that you can't differentiate between most and all.

19. NoPartyAffiliation

Ah. Okay so then you agree with Obama! Who stated that a College Education, vocational school, OJT for manufacturing and apprenticeships would be good for our labor force!

You may now wiggle through that one again. It's actually kinda fun to watch. 8)

20. jhffmn

jhffmn New Member

I got my undergraduate degree just a few years ago, by going to a state college, and working year round waiting tables and taking out a small loan. I worked 5 shifts a week during the school year. I also took a year off after high school to save money and work and then another year off of college to do the same and save money. One time I got in trouble with the campus police for being in the computer lab at 4 in the morning. I didn't sleep much but my major GPA was 3.83 and my senior year I took all core classes and scored at the top of almost all of them. I even got accepted into grad school a semester early because the director of my department wanted me to teach a class for him. I worked my ass off.

In graduate school my tuition was $900 a semester because I taught data structures one semester, and intro to computer science another, and did research another and assistantships made my tuition almost nothing. I also worked at the university IT department as a student developer for 2 years and I supported myself with the salary I earned.

Oh also, I was supporting my wife too. She had open heart surgery one of the semesters and couldn't work through part of it. She also put herself through school and grad school and I can promise you the cost of our health insurance eclipses what most people face. We met working at the same restaurant. We both went back to school together and ended up going to grad school together (and worked at the same place through much of it too).

So save me the sob stories. If you have the drive, you can do it. Most people do not. I don't feel like carrying water for them.

I AM THE AMERICAN YOUTH. I have a low opinion of the American Youth because they were the people making the class average 40% while I was getting 90%. I "got mine" because I worked (*)(*)(*)(*)ing hard for it and I have no patience having it implied it was simply handed to me. Now kindly, go #^# yourself.

21. WatcherOfTheGate

They can't bring themselves to admit they agree with Obama. They didn't realize they agreed but when they figured it out they doubled down on stupid.

22. NoPartyAffiliation

Well I was going to compliment you on this post until the rather immature tantrum at the end.
    Oh well, WTF. Well done on your education sir.

23. NoPartyAffiliation

LOL! Yeah that is true but ti's fun watching them trying to squirm around it. Look, Obama has screwed up on a lot of things. Obama has some things well.
    See how that works? That's called not being blinded by party / ideology.

24. The Mello Guy

The Mello Guy Well-Known Member

I could have sworn Santorum just said he and his wife BOTH went to college...

I wonder how many of his 7 kids he's advised not to waste time on college..

25. WatcherOfTheGate

I don't like Obama but I dislike partisan hacks even more.