Big JESUS event Next Sunday!

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by jedimiller, Mar 25, 2012.

1. BFSmith@764

BFSmith@764 Banned

It always is in these kinds of movies about Biblical characters. The sad thing is people would rather watch a movie about things in the Bible than actually read the Bible.

2. Margot

Margot Account closed, not banned

Have you seen the movie?

3. Leffe

Leffe New Member

The vatican won't complain about it, hollywood will do a great job for church membership.

4. OverDrive

OverDrive Well-Known Member Past Donor

The answer to your question as to why the "Messiah sect" of Christianity did so thrive, is simple...but you wont like my answer!

It was because it was backed with power, the power of God, also known as the "Holy Spirit."

But since you dont believe in a 'ghost,' as you have said B4, that answer will not be unacceptable to you.....sorry, that's all you'll get for a valid reason, as proven with history.

5. OverDrive

Jesus was not comely, nor attracted ppl with His physical being as such. He was not the 'good looking' king that Israel demanded from God in the OT, and God gave them Saul.

The first human king that the Israelites 'demanded of God' for themselves was given by God as one to sate their desires:

1 Samuel 8

Israel Demands a King

4 Then all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah; 5 and they said to him, “Behold, you have grown old, and your sons do not walk in your ways. Now appoint a king for us to judge us like all the nations.” 6 But the thing was displeasing in the sight of Samuel when they said, “Give us a king to judge us.” And Samuel prayed to the LORD. 7 The LORD said to Samuel, “Listen to the voice of the people in regard to all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected Me from being king over them.

1 Samuel 9

2 He had a son whose name was Saul, a choice and handsome man, and there was not a more handsome person than he among the sons of Israel; from his shoulders and up he was taller than any of the people.

God’s Choice for King

15 Now a day before Saul’s coming, the LORD had revealed this to Samuel saying, 16 “About this time tomorrow I will send you a man from the land of Benjamin, and you shall anoint him to be prince over My people Israel; and he will deliver My people from the hand of the Philistines. For I have regarded My people, because their cry has come to Me.” 17 When Samuel saw Saul, the LORD said to him, “Behold, the man of whom I spoke to you! This one shall rule over My people.”

And Saul was a failure as a king, and forgot His God in his grandeur, and ended up comitting suicide (fell on his sword) when later wounded in defeat..

THUS: And so God's will was to minister to the spritis & hearts of men with an 'uncomely' King, and not to their carnal eyes, as was done in the OT with Saul, the 1st Israelite king.

6. septimine

septimine New Member

Why a movie? Isn't Palm Sunday enough?

7. Margot

Margot Account closed, not banned

Its a well done movie.. Been out since 2000.

Watch if you can.. It may also be on the internet.

Last night I watche Peter and Paul.. part one and two.

It was good.

8. Shiva_TD

Shiva_TD Progressive Libertarian Past Donor

I haven't seen the movie but that could very well be correct. We have numerous movies that have been used to market religion. The Ten Commandments and Ben Hur both promoted Chirstianity through fictional stories and Exodus marketed Jewish Zionism through a fictional story.

9. OverDrive

As modern day 'evangelism' could be considered by the secular as 'marketing,' it is merely a following of the Great Command of over a thousand years ago (when there was no TV, movies, etc.) of "Go ye therefore into all the world and preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ."

However, I can see how those with the hostile, secular, atheistic minds would consider this obedience to that command as being merely 'marketing," as not having any knowledge of spiritual things and being just natural-minded men.....

10. Shiva_TD

Shiva_TD Progressive Libertarian Past Donor

Sadly to many Christians condemn anyone that would question their religion by calling them "hostile, secular, atheists" when that really isn't the case at all. I was raised a Christian by a very loving mother that I respect tremendously and I certainly have no hostility towards Christians per se.

There are certainly reasons why I rejected Christianity when I became old enough to think for myself and I learned that all religions are inventions of man but that doesn't imply I have any hostility against Christians. My only objections against those Christians that attempt to force their religious beliefs on me through the laws of our land. Enough on that issue.

Somewhat ironic that Mark 16:15 was mentioned as that appears to be one of the "marketing" examples from the New Testament. While Jesus never sought out anyone but Jews while alive in the Gospel of Mark somehow "magically" Jesus changed his tune after death and ordered his disciples to go out into the world to preach and convert non-Jews to Christianity. The Gospel of Mark wasn't written until somewhere between 37 AD and 75 AD appaers to be including Mark 16:15 as a part of the marketing plan to include non-Jews into the new Christian religion.

I would believe that people would logically question the creditability of statements attributed to a religious leader that doesn't propose something until after they die. Why didn't Jesus propose this in any of his sermons while alive but only addressed it after death? That seems a bit illogical IMO. Based upon actually reading the New Testament we really should question any statements attributed to Jesus after death. Did they really occur at all or where these created by the imaginations of the authors of the New Testament. That is, of course, a question that everyone needs to answer for themself and I don't try to influence anyone one way or the other.

11. OverDrive

I disagree with this statement, as seeming to be noble in presenting your case but being hostile (daily) to those who believe in the msg of Christ, and so do also promote such msg....

Jesus came to those who were called 'the chosen' by the promise of God the Father 1000's of years B4 to Abraham and his descendents.

John 1:11-12

11 He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God,

Galatians 3:14

"Through Christ Jesus, God has blessed the Gentiles with the same blessing he promised to Abraham, so that we who are believers might receive the promised Holy Spirit through faith."

Jesus thru a revelation to Peter, following his resurrection and ascension to heaven , showed him the table set with 'unclean' foods, and said eat, and Peter also knew that He meant that Gentiles were not to be considered also as unclean; and Peter went to and had Gentiles come to him right after, who received the Gospel and the Holy Spirit with the 'evidence!'

Bottom line is:

An analogy is : as a sighted person having to explain 'color' to one blind since birth, I hate to have to tell you this, but...

"Denial of the truth does not make it of no effect." And so, words of denial, altho they be many, do nothing but sound as but 'vanity in the wind' to those who are of the truth. To those who have nothing but a natural mind, w/o spiritual revelation and therefore do not appraise the things of the spiritual realm, they must continue to exist in their rebellion with "one less dimension' of sight within their mortal lives..

Romans 8:7

"Because the carnal mind (being set on the flesh) is enmity against (as hostile to) God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be."(as being set on the flesh and not the spirit.)

12. BFSmith@764

BFSmith@764 Banned

I'm not really looking to the Vatican for leadership.....I don't even regard them as any authority on Christianity anyway. With the exception for a few, such as people like mother Theresa, most of the others are fake Christians.