How Does the Price of Gas Effect YOUR budget?

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Trinnity, Feb 19, 2012.

1. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

Or wear a helmet/some kind of protector of your face like a smart person. You could do that too

2. akphidelt2007

akphidelt2007 New Member Past Donor

I love big SUV's. Both my cars are gas guzzling SUV's. I just think in a dream world life would be much more efficient if big cities did not allow personal vehicles within downtown areas. So people would park in massive parking lots, rent tiny vehicles, bikes, or take a massive high speed train system in and out.

Imagine how much more efficient it would be. I think we need to turn America in to the Jetson's world.

3. ronmatt

ronmatt New Member

I have a helmet. It drives me nuts on those 100 + degree days. Plus, the bugs get into it as well and I have to stop to get 'em out. Could it be that that's why they invented cars in the first place?

4. Leffe

Leffe New Member

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Hyundai_Elantra/prices/

MPG: 29 City / 40 Hwy

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Hyundai_Accent/

MPG: 30 City / 40 Hwy

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/FIAT_500/

MPG: 30 City / 38 Hwy

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Hyundai_Veloster/

MPG: 28 City / 40 Hwy

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Honda_Civic-Hybrid/

MPG: 44 City / 44 Hwy

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Honda_Insight/

MPG: 41 City / 44 Hwy

5. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

It increases the cost of almost everything. This will crush families already suffering in the fourth year of Obamanomics. We need a sane energy policy, and the GOP can do it.

6. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

Barack, is that you???

[​IMG]

7. ronmatt

ronmatt New Member

Someone should tell Barry that they make bicycles in various sizes.

8. Leffe

Leffe New Member

10's of millions of people use them every day, it's not like Americans couldn't use to lose a pound or two either is it?

In short, grow up, stop acting like you're entitled to cheap petrol for grossly inefficient cars, stop acting like SUV's are a normal form of transport for one person, or even 4. Leave your entitlement culture behind and take personal responsibility.

lizarddust and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Smartmouthwoman

I have a short commute to work since I live innercity, but it's the rising cost of goods & services that's killing my budget. Everybody feels entitled to raise their prices because of the high cost of fuel. Businesses just pass along the increased cost... until the buck stops in our wallets.

Who are we gonna tap on the shoulder and say, "Hey!"

10. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

Well maybe not all of us that are working our way up the ladder but aren't nearly at the top yet and don't want to spend boo-coos on criminally-government-enforced Big Car insurance, can afford big ass gas guzzlers yet.
    Mod Edit

I work at a private construction company at 12 an hour, but I'm not about to buy one of these big ass cars that I can't afford let alone the gas, nor should I.

The problem is, if it weren't for government and Big Car lobbyists, I could just (*)(*)(*)(*)ing weld two good bicycles together, put me in a small engine in there and use home made alcohol as a fuel source and barely pay jack (*)(*)(*)(*) for transportation/insurance, but alas...Big Corporation (that you rightist hacks are in love with) and Big Government are in bed with each other.

11. Leffe

Leffe New Member

And they are preventing you and others from buying bikes or cheap and efficient Japanese cars? I think not.

No, what we have here is the entitlement culture of the US. It's imploding now, not because of the Dems or GOP but because oil was always going to become expensive and you, the people in the street, failed to see it coming. I've had this argument with Americans for 10 years, but oh no, you want to drive cars and vans that have 10-20mpg. Well the time is now to deal with it.

Personal responsibility!

12. Smartmouthwoman

IOW,

[​IMG]

Notice you don't fly a flag... which utopia do you live in?

Rapunzel and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

I think your post in nonsense. Old people, kids, families, hot, cold, rural, trips to the grocery store. Not very many people could function that way. And why should we? Liberals seem to want us all to live in caves in the dark.

Typical liberal rhetoric - absurd. Hey, all the libs should ride bikes. The rest of us drive. Problem solved.

14. Beevee

Beevee Well-Known Member Past Donor

Why don't you motorise your bicycle?

http://www.google.ca/search?q=motor...JBubH0QHp6tTLAw&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1014&bih=655

15. Daybreaker

Daybreaker Well-Known Member

This thread kept eating my post! I'm glad it's back. This is the post that I kept trying to make, hours ago, only to have it consumed again and again in the winds of the internet:

This thread amazes me. Suddenly, when the oil industry becomes involved, republicans start to care about working class families (beyond telling them whether or not they can include any gay people).

Health care? Nope. According to the republicans, working class Americans just haven't done enough to deserve that.

Clean food? Nope. According to the republicans, working class Americans haven't worked hard enough to earn that, either.

Republicans don't even think that working class Americans deserve jobs -- not at the wages it requires to live in America.

But cheap oil! Now there's something they'll get excited about!

"Oh, you had to ride a BICYCLE? In the RAIN? Up a HILL? Oh, you poor dear -- don't worry, daddy will invade the middle east to protect you from that."

Hypocrites! You have nothing but contempt for the working class. You could care less if we live or die as long as we show up to work on time. Is that why you care about gasoline? Because it gets the workers to work? 'Cause we could be dying in the street with a tumor the size of our torso, starving to death on a diet of scavenged cardboard cheeseburgers, and you'd kick us into the gutter and tell us to get a job, or another, or a third, or a fourth. But gasoline gets expensive and suddenly you get all kinds of sympathetic.

Willing slaves to the oil industry, that's all you are, republicans. You are all the oil industry's (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)es -- a (*)(*)(*)(*)(*) being defined as a person who can be made by another person to claim something that they both know isn't true. You know it. You love it. You beg for more.

Acting like you suddenly give a crap about human beings. Get real.

Leffe and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

Alas, your post was not worth waiting for, Daybreaker. It's so full of distortions and bias, I won't even bother with it. Have a nice day.

Rapunzel and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Daybreaker

Daybreaker Well-Known Member

It's full of me remembering what republicans say. If republicans don't want people thinking that they have nothing but contempt for the working class, they should stop shouting it at the top of their lungs all the time.

18. legojenn

legojenn New Member

$3.70/gal is less that $1.00/L. It seems that most of the deveoped world gets on paying considrably more for gasoline, so it's hard to listen to Americans whine about gas prices. I just paid $1.22/L to fill up my car, which is about $4.60/US gal. My life is considerably better than when gas was half that price in the late 1990s. Fuel prices are a small part of the cost of having the privilege of getting around where and when I want to. At $50/week, to fill my car's tank, it is considerably less than my car payment, licence plate renewal, driver's licence renewal, insurance and non-warranty maintenance.

In the UK, gas is over double the US price at $2.10/L which is pushing $7.50-8.00/US gal. If your gas prices double to be the same as theirs, then you might have reason to be upset, otherwise, it's just complaining about privilege.

19. XLR8TR

XLR8TR New Member

Who created big government (Healthcare, welfare, social security, fannie/freddie, GSE's)...democrats...

Who refuses to dig for oil on our mainland and alaska?...democrats.

How is it not your fault?

20. XLR8TR

XLR8TR New Member

No need for the dis-respect, that is purely a sign that you have no other support for your argument other then to insult. It is okay though, its a perfectly normal human response when losing :)

Now, maybe you can perhaps look a little more informed if you mention where specifically republican actions in power have contributed to a "bigger" government.

And secondly, if you knew how basic economics work, you would understand the concepts of supply and demand. If demand goes up but supply stays the same, then prices go up. Sure, the "demand" is increasing as you said. However, the amount of fuel that the United States has is tremendous which would increase supply dramatically. Not to mention companies such as Exxon would be able to drill here in the United States for far cheaper.

You are quite entertaining. You talk like you are some young and rather inexperienced individual maybe in the midst of high school or college education. Don't worry, eventually when you start understanding concepts out-side-of-the-box, you'll be more respectable.

21. NoPartyAffiliation

NoPartyAffiliation New Member

I don't blame Obama for this. Then again, I didn't blame Bush so go figure. I came here from Houston. It's simple. Speculators come up with a number they think will hit the top of the market tolerence. Then the execs and marketers will spin until the round-eyed public buys into it.
    I figure those who hate Obama anyway, will blame him and he won't get the votes he wouldn't have gotten anyway.
    He seems to be good at politics. What he'll probably do is set another trap for the GOP. Grant Keystone, flood open leases or open ANWAR and then say "Well?"
    Or maybe propose some kind of price-gouging legislation aimed at Big Oil under threat of the subsidies they shouldn't be getting anyway.
    We'll see.

22. Snazzmeister

Snazzmeister New Member

My job requires that I am constantly on the road covering just under three states worth of territory. It's become increasingly more common for it to be cheaper to fly than to drive. I never thought I'd see the day.

23. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

Virtually every working American can have health care, merely by cutting back on extraneous expenses like Cable Television. 10% of your yearly pay to health care is not asking to much to remain a free society.

Buddy I have NO CLUE WHAT WORLD YOU LIVE IN but in MY part of America the WATER IS PRISTINE and the food is GREAT. So where are you getting that we are eating bad food and water?

Service businesses for the most part are incapable of supporting a "living wage" and still remain viable businesses. Why can't you just admit that (*)(*)(*)(*)ing fact of life?

It isn't about "cheap oil" for our convienience. We have no choice but to have cheap oil. It is the lifeblood of our entire culture and economy and vitally important strategic and national resource and there is no technology that can get us off of it cheaply and still allow Americans to maintain our "car culture" that we've had for a century and have become entitled too as Americans.

You just don't understand that there are literally so many human beings on the planet that we are disposable and so common that we are not better than ants can you? You refuse to accept that fact don't you?

Well I hate to tell you but economics is about competition which means most people will, at some point in their lives, be discarded.

Some people are simply worth more than others, and some are worth nothing at all.

Untl you get that through your "I love all people equally" foolishness and naivete you'll always be disappointed by humanity.

24. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

Don't you republicans support an aggressive over-reaching police state, when it comes to the "war on terror" and "war on drugs" and war on anyone that isn't republican?

Since when did I, as an individual, suggest that we force people to not drill domestically for oil? You're (*)(*)(*)(*)ing shoving words in my mouth. What the (*)(*)(*)(*)? Do you realize how (*)(*)(*)(*)ing much that pisses me off?

What about when we RUN OUT of oil AROUND THE WORLD? Oil is a NONRENEWABLE resource which means it will ALL DISAPPEAR someday. BEFORE that happens, we as a society need to find an ALTERNATIVE.

Like a fool, you're gonna shove MORE words in my mouth and say that I support, specifically, electric and solar and wind energy, when in reality I didn't suggest any particular alternative(s). I just said that since oil WILL RUN OUT someday, we obviously can't use it after that point. Not unless we find a way of manufacturing it.

Although, I would perhaps hint at nuclear energy and alcohol.

Ohhh yeah..and yet again you're gonna continue using the Republican "I'll just ASSume this and that" style of debating, and then say "well we don't have enough corn to make that much alcohol" like a moron. Well I'll respond to that argument of yours before you even say it. There are ways of producing artificial sugar VERY cheaply, that can be used with yeast and water to produce alcohol. I should make another thread on this later but right now I'm getting ready for bed.

25. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

I sincerely hope you're not a Big Fossil Fuel lover, in that case, or else you are an ultimate moron.