America Has worse internet speeds than Bulgaria

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Trumanp, Sep 25, 2012.

1. tomfoo13ry

tomfoo13ry Well-Known Member Past Donor

In the US roughly 80% of the population have internet access. In Bulgaria the figure is less than 50%. Furthermore, the US's population is spread out more than Bulgaria's by a factor of 2. Who here thinks that these disparities are not relevant?

2. Leffe

Leffe New Member

Take your head from out of your own selfrightous arse buddy. I specifically stated "The WWW was invented by an Englishman", not the "the internet". And indeed, the WWW was created with HTMP.

3. Leffe

Leffe New Member

America's economy vs Bulgaria - Who here thinks that these disparities are not relevant?

4. tomfoo13ry

I find it quite relevant. Bulgaria is one of the poorest nations in Europe yet the less than 50% of Bulgarians who actually have internet have some of the fastest in the world...What's wrong with this picture?

So Bulgaria has faster internet speeds on average than the US...So what? They also have faster internet speeds than every single other European country except for Romania, actually their speeds are faster than all the rest of the globe save two countries. Who cares besides a handful of bloviating morons on the internet?

5. Leffe

Leffe New Member

It seems that a large number of Americans here are complaining that US internet speeds are shockingly poor, they care.

The point is not really about the internet, it's more about the degredation of the US from world leader, downwards. The question is "why?", that is what's being discussed here. If you don't want to discuss this, you can of course (*)(*)(*)(*) right off to another thread.

6. tomfoo13ry

Ahh, I see. So, internet speed is the barometer for the degradation of societies? Well, what do you make of these apples?

http://www.akamai.com/html/about/press/releases/2012/press_043012.html

It seems like you should be more worried about your own backyard...but thanks for your concern, I'm sure most Americans appreciate your vigilance on our behalf. :roll:

7. Leffe

Leffe New Member

Don't talk to me buddy, talk to the Americans here who are complaining about their internet speeds. And I've added poor roads, bridges, levies and general public services to the list of things that the US has let slip, so no, I don't view internet speeds as a barometer of this, I'm saying there's a trend in public investment in general.

8. tomfoo13ry

So then no comment from you on the sub-par internet services in Europe? Maybe if you wouldn't worry so much about what countries with superior electronic information infrastructure are doing your continent wouldn't be lagging so far behind? Just a thought...

9. Leffe

Leffe New Member

If you've read the thread, which clearly you haven't, you'd understand that my home internet is very fast, I've friends locally with fibre connections and that my mobile connection is fast enough to stream films from the cloud. Now if you want to talk about infrastructure in general, our road network is superb and well maintained, so are the canals. And over the last 8 years, we have expanded the motorway network, taken city ring roads and hid them in tunnels and expanded the industrial canal network. All of this goes on as the NL constantly improved sea defences. So "lagging behind"? I'd say we're one of the front runners.

10. tomfoo13ry

I'm so glad that your home internet is very fast, so is mine. I also have "friends locally with fiber connections". I could get fiber too, and I would if my internet connection wasn't already fast enough to do everything I wanted it too. We're not talking about individuals here though, but the big picture. That big picture shows that a larger percentage of Americans have internet access than do Europeans. That's a fact. Care to address that or do you insist on dancing around that plain simple truth? Sorry, sport, tiny little NL doesn't "lead the way" in anything any more than Massachusetts or Delaware does. It's called relative insignificance.

11. Leffe

Leffe New Member

In 2011 North America had a 15% higher peretration than Europe plus Russia - congrats on that! Way to go!

12. tomfoo13ry

Thank you!

Also, let's not forget this:

• 24 cities in North America ranked among the top 100, including two in Canada and 22 in the United States.
    • Seven cities in Europe, including three in Sweden, two in Switzerland and one each in Romania and Latvia were included in the top 100.

It's funny how some Europeans criticize the US whenever they aren't absolutely #1 in some category but then are so satisfied with their own mediocrity.

ETA: Oh, by the way, the US actually has a penetration rate 28% higher than Europe's but that is just using real math so you might not understand.

13. Leffe

Leffe New Member

Europe is a continent buddy - not a country.

14. JamesVanArtevelde

JamesVanArtevelde New Member

Yes, Europe is a very small continent.

15. tomfoo13ry

Thank you for stating the obvious. Anything else you wanted to add? The color of the sky perhaps? :crazy: