Ron Paul in 1st place in South Dakota

Discussion in 'Elections & Campaigns' started by AbsoluteVoluntarist, Dec 16, 2011.

1. AbsoluteVoluntarist

AbsoluteVoluntarist New Member

Since the big cities tend to be left-wing and since Ron Paul's anti-war, pro-civil-liberties positions would appeal to left-wingers more than the warmongering police statism of his opponents, I'd say Ron Paul would do far better in those cities against Obama than any other Republican.

2. Slyhunter

Slyhunter New Member Past Donor

I didn't say open borders. I said he wants to give work visas to anyone who wants one.
    http://www.numbersusa.com/content/action/ron-paul.html

3. Roelath

Roelath Well-Known Member

What is the problem with that? It advocates people becoming Citizens rather than illegals.

4. Margot

Margot Account closed, not banned

Bless his heart Ron Paul is too old and too much the ideocrat to negotiate the rapids of US foreign policy.......

5. Slyhunter

It means people will be working for McDonalds for 3 bucks an hour and living 15 people to a one bedroom efficiency while doing so and I have to compete with that to provide a living for my family if Ron Paul is elected.

6. AbsoluteVoluntarist

Okay, thanks for the quote. So he thinks in a flourishing economy with a high demand for labor, we could liberalize the guest worker program. I agree with him. Shutting out the world to monopolize the labor market on yourself is not just unfair to everyone else, it's self-destructive.

The logical extension of this idea is to become a hermit who lives in the woods, grows his own food, and trades with no one. Hermits always have work to do after all; they're always employed, seven days a week, sunup to sundown...

7. DA60

DA60 Banned

His support seems to be growing.

8. Slyhunter

Doing it at the same time you remove minimum wage laws means Americans will have to compete with those from third world countries for jobs and below living wages. We'll all be living in huts because of Ron Paul.

America for Americans first, then any immigrants once we get the unemployment figure down.

9. AbsoluteVoluntarist

Given his health (walks 3 miles everyday and bikes 10-15) and the fact that both his parents lived into their nineties, I'd be willing to bet money he'll live more years from now than the overweight Newt Gingrich, who is 8 years his junior.

10. AbsoluteVoluntarist

A free market in labor would probably lower nominal wages on the whole but it would also increase production and therefore lower prices and therefore raise real wages. Are you not a consumer? As for the minimum wage, most people doing minimum wage jobs are young people that live with their parents and don't need the money, just the experience.

Oh, so you'll let them in once unemployment is down. Well, that's exactly what Paul said in the quote you posted, "Rep. Paul notes that if government-mandated free services and the government-created unemployed crisis were 'fixed,' then the resulting 'free and prosperous economy' would look for labor and 'immigrant workers would be needed and welcomed.'"

11. Teutorian

Teutorian New Member

Ron Paul is not going to give work visas to foreigners with high domestic unemployment. That's just dishonest political fear mongering.

There is nothing wrong with issuing work visas to foreigners when there is a demand for labor we cannot fill domestically. Most every nation does it.

This does not mean citizenship. It means they can do an available job until the job is no longer needed and then they return to their homeland.

12. Margot

LOLOL you are probably right, but WHY did you cut the rest of my brief remarks.

He's an ideocrat.. without the nuance or skill to navigate the rapids of US foreign policy...

13. Teutorian

Teutorian New Member

Foreign policy = Invade Iran?

14. Margot

That takes us back to the dual citizen neo cons.. Clean Break Strategy and the PNAC letters in 1998.

In that much RP is correct. Its NOT enough.

15. Woogs

Woogs Well-Known Member

...and who would it be that has thrown this country into the rapids? Maybe it's high time we returned to our ideals while there are some left that still remember them.

It's really not that hard to navigate anything if you have core beliefs and apply them. Without them, you'll just flail about subject to every whirlpool and wind up on the rocks.

16. AbsoluteVoluntarist

You need to explain what you disagree with regarding his foreign policy before I can address it. I don't know what "ideocrat" means. Everyone has an ideology. If they didn't, they wouldn't care about anything.

17. Teutorian

Teutorian New Member

I won't at all be surprised if Ron Paul wins Iowa by a much larger margin than polls currently reflect. Going to be interesting to see how the RINO neo-cons react should that come to pass.

Americans are sick and tired of this war propaganda.

The Republicans in the debate all looked completely deranged and insane this week. It looked like the war-party and not the Republican party. Ron Paul stands out so clearly from this bunch because of his principles and courage to go against the media on this issue that people will vote for him.

Americans are simply not going to vote for more war. It isn't going to happen.
    The Iraq propaganda is too fresh in everyone's minds still for them to be so easily fooled by the same sad story just as the U.S. military is leaving Iraq.

In 2008 the people clearly wanted a new direction. They soon realized they were deceived and that was reflected in the 2010 elections. Nothing has changed. The hunger for something new is still there and we will all see it when people start to cast their votes.

The stars are aligning for Ron Paul.