Virginia Ultrasound Bill Passes In House

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Agent_286, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My Fing ID

My Fing ID Well-Known Member Past Donor

[​IMG]

Separated at non-birth? You decide!

2. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

I always have a difficulty with the assumption that the woman seeking the abortion does not know EXACTLY what she is doing, actually would rather not be doing it and would, all things being equal, rather HAVE the child but has made a difficult, personal and painful decision

3. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member Past Donor

If they are aborting it because it was ill they would need tests like an ultrasound.

4. Rapunzel

It's standard procedure for PP.

5. Rapunzel

There is no free will when the government is involved. Repeal Ubamacare and we'll talk.

6. Rapunzel

Can't make her look and it doesn't look like a baby.

Guess you don't have a problem with it then do you???

7. Bowerbird

I simply believe that very few women come to the decision to abort without a LOT of soul searching and to assume they are either "ignorant" or "heartless" is to ignore what underpinned their decision . It is after all an invasive medical procedure and, although here and in the USA the adverse outcomes are few and infrequent that is not the case in many many places throughout the world. Elsewhere it is dangerous and life threatening and yet,,,,,,,,,,, women still have abortions in those places, and usually for the same reasons. If fear of the pregnancy outweighs fear of facing an unsanitary backyard butcher then something must be driving that fear - address THAT and you will start to see a diminution in the rate of abortion

8. Rapunzel

It's standard procedure for PP. Should we cut their funding because of the outrage?

Nobody is suggesting backyard butchers, where the hell did that come from. Try to stay on topic.

9. Bowerbird

A) Yes, and PP is one of the organisations that is under constant pressure to conform to right wing ideology. Tell me then - is this demonstrating that PP is doing the ethical thing or not?

b) I was making a point about the driving reasons for abortion

I should have just posted a link to the thread about rats and empathy instead

10. Rapunzel

PP is not under right wing pressure they do it to not get sued.

11. Bowerbird

12. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

PP doesn't FORCE a woman to have an ultrasound. If she doesn't want to comply with their rules, she can go elsewhere. The Conservatives in the VA State Legislature are trying to make it COMPULSORY wherever a women goes and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with women's health. They could care LESS about a woman's health and they keep proving that over and over.

Backyard butchers is EXACTLY on topic. Why do you think we fought so hard to make abortion safe and legal? The only choice women had before Roe v. Wade were backyard butchers and many of them died or were damaged so they could never have children. Once Conservatives succeed in making abortion illegal again, where do you think women will have to go? Or are you naive enough to think they'll just stop getting them?

Have you ever stopped in your "Abortion is murder" screed long enough to think about what might make a woman desperate enough to go to a backyard butcher to get an abortion - well knowing what the outcome could be?

13. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

How can you say they aren't under right wing pressure? One of the right wing's main hatchet women was responsible for trying to get their funding revoked through the Koven group. The right wing pressure is one of the reasons they require the ultrasound - because they're constantly having to fight having their records subpoenaed so the pro-lifers can search through them to try to find some reason to file criminal charges against them. They aren't just under "right wing pressure" - they're under constant "right wing attack".

Bowerbird and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Cal

Cal Banned

Your right....this is not about health at all. It's about murder and how convenient it is to perform it. This makes you think before you make that leap. Do you really want to kill this life? Can you live with yourself after doing so? OB/GYN docs don't care for abortions and don't need abortions to survive as they have other surgeries to perform.

I think you mean desensitized, convenient, and routine.

Home? Work? School? Other places that one would normally go when life proceeds.??? Thousands of other women do it....are you suggesting these women cannot live their lives?

Good for the right wing. I support them in their endeavors to stop murder.

15. Bowerbird

The biggest myth around - that abortion is "convenient" for the woman

16. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

YOU see it as murder. Others do not. YOUR belief does not trump mine when it comes to my own body, my own family and my own life decisions.

No - I mean safe and legal. The ability for a woman who chooses abortion to go to a qualified medical doctor in a clean and safe clinic to have it done rather than a backstreet quack whose only medical instrument is a coat hanger. Abortion is NEVER "routine, quick and easy" and the fact that that's how you see it completely disqualifies you from having any say in the matter.

You're suggesting that being pregnant has absolutely no effect on a woman's life and future. Again, such an uninformed belief makes anything you say irrelevant. You also seem to believe that if you can make abortion illegal and a woman can't have one safely and legally, she'll just go ahead and live her life as if nothing is going on with her body. If she's desperate enough, where she'll go is to a backstreet butcher who will likely kill or disable her and THAT MURDER will be on the heads of people like you.

It's always easy to opine on a situation that you have never been in and are in no danger of ever being in - especially when you believe YOUR judgment is superior to that of the people actually involved. When you or some other male RWer gets pregnant with an unplanned or dangerous pregnancy, we'll talk some more.

17. Cal

Cal Banned

ROFL. I'm a surgical Tech. I see hundreds of these a year. How many have YOU witnessed? None? Oh...hmmm!!

Murder is murder, you have every right to call it whatever you want. Whatever makes you sleep a night. However I reserve the right to steal your TV and call it a friendly visit.

Your belief doesn't trump mine either, get over yourself.

18. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

You've witnessed it - you've never been in that situation yourself. You're sitting there judging someone when you have no idea why she's there or what has prompted her to get an abortion.

As I said - when YOU get pregnant and for any reason face the same decision yourself, then you'll have some credibility.

I know my beliefs don't trump yours but you obviously don't know the same and believe that yours DO trump mine.

Just curious but do you work in an abortion clinic? I'm not aware that "hundreds" of abortions are done in a hospital unless they're for strictly medical reasons. But feeling the way you do, I don't know why you'd be working in a position to observe abortions being done on a daily basis for medical reasons and be so absolutely judgmental about the women having it done.

19. Bluesguy

Bluesguy Well-Known Member Donor

Why does it trump an innocent human life?

20. fiddlerdave

fiddlerdave Well-Known Member Past Donor

It doesn't.

But as long as the fetus is 100% dependent on the mother's body to exist and is part of it, its HER decision on what happens with HER body!

Not YOURS.

21. Bluesguy

It's called inform. Why are YOU so afraid she might change her mind?

22. Bluesguy

Why not? What do you have against abortion then?

23. Bluesguy

That's it? That is the highly emotional and trauma.

What a bunch of horse hokey. I've had prostrated exams they are not emotional nor traumatic.

The vast vast vast majority some say 99% are for convenience sake.

So if it is just a blob of cells, not human, not a life what is all the trauma and emotion about?

24. Bluesguy

So that is what PP requires for any woman that early?

25. Bluesguy

OK all those people you want to supply welfare too, feel free to take them in and take care of them as you see fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.