Gun Related Deaths In America 2012 #2

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Makedde, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

I believe everyone deserves the right to defend themselves, but no one needs to carry a gun.
    And there is something obviously wrong with your country if you need a gun anyway. I go out in the public all the time. No one carries a gun and I haven't been attacked annd I haven't seen anyone else be attacked.
    If Americans are so scared of violence and need guns to protect themselves, what does that say about the state of your country?

2. LoneStrSt8

LoneStrSt8 New Member Past Donor

The state of my country is just fine,thank you,and having a gun isn't about need,it's a right,as the police are only there after the fact

And we're no more scared of violence than we are scared of wrecks when we put our seat belts on...

3. danboy9787

danboy9787 New Member

People with guns prevent 2.5 million crimes a year in America. The reason we are founded on the belief of having weapons is for several reasons. 1: Our country grew on the 'frontier'. Back in the day guns were very important for personal protection. We were also founded on the idea that government should be small and should fear the anger of the people. I hold the second amendment very dear.

4. Texsdrifter

Texsdrifter Well-Known Member

The strong prey on the weak it's a fact of life. If your country is safer than ours lucky you. The USA's violent crime rate and homicides are at lower levels both in per person and overall numbers than 40 years ago with a steady drop for the last 16 years. Now while average citizens in your country are not deemed fit to use firearms to protect themselves. I'm pretty sure you have a military that does use firearms an even more dangerous weapons to protect
    you. Not to mention depending on mine to protect you from China. Most
    Americans feel safe as I said we are safer than we used to be an with more
    guns as opposed to less. As far as what it says about our country. It says we are not a isolated island in the middle of a ocean. Our drug problem is far
    worse than most other countries as well. Those are just facts of life for Americans.

Now back on topic I let you pull me off but I play by the rules. So this one is from one of the safer states in my barbaric republic.

Story posted Febuary 21, 2012
    Hermon, Maine, USA

A 24yr old man said he was in a fight for his life. When he shot two Bangor (a city in Maine not a lewd act) men who forced their way in his apartment.

The shooting took place about 9:00am thursday, when a woman and two men he did not know burst in his apartment. One man came at him with a knife and cut him across the abdomen. The other hit him over the head with a electric guitar, before both intruders kicked him and his roomate while they were on the floor. When he broke free he grabbed the .22 caliper(very small) handgun from his bedroom. He shot one of the intruders 19yr old Philip Mclntre in the leg. He shot the other man 30yr old Robert Dellairo in the hip when Dellairo lunged at him. Dellairo died later of his injuries.
    http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/Maine-man-describes-home-invasion-shooting-.html

5. Shiva_TD

Shiva_TD Progressive Libertarian Past Donor

The question has not been answered. How does a 98 lb woman defend herself from a 220 lb man that is intent upon raping and murdering her? He doesn't need any weapons and, as noted, pepper-spray and even tasers have been proven to be ineffective against a determined attacker.

The Colt Firearms Company coined the advertising phrase, ""God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal." It was true in the 19th Century and remains true today.

Always remember one simple fact. A law-abiding citizen carrying a firearm does not present a threat to anyone except to those that would violate the law.

6. Dingo44

Dingo44 New Member

Don't you mean in 2011? Cause it's only march 2012. If you mean 2011 there were 8,775 murders by means of a firearm.

You said that you have never seen or you yourself have nver been attacked out in public. So that must mean that there is no crime down under just because you've never seen it or experienced it right? So Australia must be the only place on the planet where there is no violent crime.

Americans don't see it as a right to shoot someone in the back while they are running away, that's a crime in any state and it's frankly absurd and insulting for you to say otherwise, it just illustrates how ignorant you are about the U.S.

I carry concealed some of the time and it's not because I'm so worried about being attacked because my country is so unsafe. I want to be prepared to defend myself or othrs in case some jackass decides to be a jackass. Where ever there are people, there's the possibility of crime, just the fact of reality.

7. Makedde

I don't expect a woman to defend herself, just as I can't expect to defend myself against an attack because it is illegal here to carry a knife.
    But a knife is better than a gun. And even if she had a gun, how can you say that she would escape? You can't.

From the start of this year to the end is what we are counting...

8775 gun murders last year? Really? And Australia had...how many?

Hmm, but banning guns won't stop the killings!!! Umm, yes it will. Look at us, less than half the chance of being killed by a gun since 1996.

http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/news/news/2006/Dec/061214.php

8. Shiva_TD

I can uncategorically state that a gun is a better defensive weapon than a knife and that a well trained individual with either is better able to defend themself than they are with their bare hands. The ability to defend themself is all that is assured by being armed when we address the 98 lb woman defending herself against a 220 lb man intent on raping and murdering her. It cannot be guarenteed nor does it need to be. Remember, that 98 lb woman, a law abiding person, does not present any threat to society. None whatsoever.

The fact in the United States is that where individuals are allowed to carry concealed weapons (CCW permits) that violent crime is less.

Individuals with CCW permits are far less likely to commit a gun related crime.

Most violent crimes are committed by a very small percentage of the population and many of those are repeat offenders that are prohibited from owning firearms under the law.

Finally, most firearm usage for self-defense does not result in a fatal shooting but it does reduce crime dramatically.

http://www.carryconcealed.net/carrying-concealed-statistics

Facts:

http://www.aic.gov.au/statistics/homicide.aspx

That's about a 30% drop in the murder rate in Australia based upon murder and population statistics.

At the sme time in the United States the number of murders dropped by over 22% in actual numbers which also equates to about a 30% decline when the increase in US population is accounted for. Since then the number of murders have continued to decline in the US with the decrease reflecting over 31% without any considerations related to the population increase in the United States in 2010.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

The argument that murder is decreasing in Australia because of gun control laws is false but instead it's based upon other factors just like it is in the United States. Violent crimes, including murder, are going down in both countries and are going down at roughly the same rates.

9. blown330

blown330 New Member

How can you say that she wouldn't escape? You can't.

See how that works? A knife is better than nothing, and a gun is better than a knife when it comes to personal defense. I don't envy Australia or the UK for stripping their populace of the means and rights to defend themselves and their property from intrusion.

And for the sake of the topic.

http://www.live5news.com/story/16569870/police-robber-killed-in-sc-waffle-house-shooting

10. Makedde

Here's a good one. A State police officer, leaves a loaded gun in a car with his 7 year old daughter and her brother inside. Naturally, they are curious. The 7 year old girl is now dead because her brother shot her. Apparently we are meant to feel sorry for the incompentent fool who left his loaded gun in a car with two young kids:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/seven-year-old-daughter-of-washington-police-officer-dies-after-being-shot-by-brother/story-e6frf7jx-1226297174732

Who is going to lay charges against the officer for being such a tool, leaving a loaded gun alone with two little kids? I don't feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for the child who died. The officer put the gun in those kids hands, he is responsible for the death of the girl, and should be charged accordingly.

11. Texsdrifter

I had felt as if I had judged you to quickly. That maybe I should apologize for maybe I was diminishing the needless deaths for my own views. Then you post a sad horrible tragedy. What do you say how do you show sympathy.

Here's a good one.
    That is your intro you have no soul.

You do you pity.
    I feel sorry for the child that died.
    You lack any common sense.

What about the child who has to live with what they done the rest of their life.
    The father or as you would say the tool, the incompetent fool.
    Who was a public servant who risk his life daily in this as you say barbaric country to protect and serve. Someone who will live with the loss of his child forever. They should charge him you say what could they do to him worse than what happened. You are pathetic and feeble minded. Did you even think before you posted that even if they took all the other guns away law enforcement would still have them. You have done more to discredit yourself and your motivations than anyone else could have hoped. Your fellow liberals will be just as horrified at your choice of words. Your country is right in your case you shouldn't be allowed a keyboard much less a weapon. I pity you.

Unlike some I have morals and I follow rules. So back on topic.

March 4, 2012
    Gaston county, North Carolina
    By Sharon Smith WBTV
    Woman kills intruder breaking into her home.

A woman called 911 Saturday to report a man breaking into her home on Chapel Grove Road.
    Investigators say it appears 28 year old Keith Cox
    Was a stranger. He died at the scene.

The link is to long if anyone wants to see the story. They will have to search the story title on your search engine of choice.

12. Makedde

Whether he had risked his life to do his job is irrelevant. He left a loaded gun in a car wth two young kids, and as a result of his stupidity, one of those kids is dead.

You expect me to ignore that and feel sorry for the guy?

13. Shiva_TD

People do a lot of very stupid things that result in the deaths of their children. It is certainly sad and inexcusable but it happens so often that we become numb to it sometimes and we shouldn't.

14. Texsdrifter

You showed no pity for the other child, the mother,the grandparents or the friends of the child. You refered to it as a good one. There is nothing you could do to the father worse than what happened. It was a horrific accident if a father reached for his cell phone while driving and had a wreak would you judge him as harsh. If you hate guns that is your right and choice. Yet to not show remorse for the living victims. Suggest a serious flaw in your reasoning. If you don't pity the father is one thing to only feel sorry for the dead is irrational. It moves me to tears to hear about this in incident. Your choice of words were horrific. I have children that I love there is nothing a parent can feel that hurts like the death of a child. The fact his actions caused it I don't think I could go on living myself. This was on topic so I will not post a event.

15. Makedde

Yet another person who shouldn't own a firearm has had to suffer the loss of their three year old son, who shot himself in the head. Dad put the laded gun under the front seat and the kid crawled over and got it:

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_20176357/washington-state-3-year-old-shoots-himself-death?source=most_viewed

Gee. Three year olds are naturally curious, aren't they? Why didn't dad take the gun with him? Or better yet, unload it? I hope he gets charged.

16. Bondo

Bondo Well-Known Member

Ayuh,.... How 'bout these folks,..?? Do ya feel Sorry for them,..??

Here's another 1,.... The Mom oughta be strung up, 'n then shot...
    'n another 1,... Only this time, it's the Kid, takin' out Mom...
    'n Another,... The kid id Dead, Mom not even Charged...
    'n Another,... Not dead, but in really Bad shape...
    Ayuh,.... I'd say there's atleast 10 Times as many kids, Killed by their parents with Automobiles....

To 'ell with Guns,...
    We'd better Outlaw Cars, Right Now....