Are you created in God’s image?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Greatest I am, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Well-Known Member

Are you created in God's image?

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."
    ¯ Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Deuteronomy 32:4
    He is the Rock, his work is perfect

Matthew 5:48
    Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Scriptures tell us to be like God and emulate all he does as we are to follow in his footsteps.

If you are a Christian, are you capable of following your God?

Would you be able and willing to do some of the things the bible shows God doing?

Are you created in God’s image?

Regards
    DL

2. Ozymandis

Ozymandis New Member

Yes. I am made in His image.

As for the judgment of God based on His actions, it's clearly a just judgment if God is held to the same standards as humans. He isnt, but that's beside the point. The real question is, why judge God by the old testament, or at all? Either God doesn't exist and it doesn't matter, or God does, and His actions He needn't justify to you. This was the main point in Job. God, using humor, points out how silly it is for humans to question the morality of their creator. If He is, don't bother. If He isnt, don't bother.

3. crank

crank Well-Known Member

all despots will point out (via humour and/or violence) how silly it is for subjects to question their morality. it's part of what it means to be a despot. an egalitarian and benevolent master would encourage questions, since it's clearly in the best interests of the subjects to practice discernment.

meantime, do you judge god?

4. Ozymandis

Ozymandis New Member

No I don't judge God. He isnt accountable to me the way government leaders are, as per your illustration. What are you going to do if God is real and doesn't meet your definition of good? Revolt? Vote Him out? I mean what? You aren't forced to believe, so where are you going with holding a being you don't believe in accountable for actions you don't believe occured?

5. RevAnarchist

RevAnarchist New Member Past Donor

When Selfish Gene author Richard Dawkins challenged physicist John Barrow on his formulation of the constants of nature at last summer Templeton-Cambridge Journalism Fellowship lectures, Barrow laughed and said, “You have a problem with these ideas, Richard, because you’re not really a scientist.

I would add that dawking is hated by his peers most of who are far more educated than he such as Barrow who dressed down Dawking in public (above) dawking is a bigoted angry turd, lol…

Cherry picking scripture is the mark of ignorance or is the work of someone with an agenda. So your question must be more specific, unless you are using it for a straw man attack.

Scriptures tell us to be like God and emulate all he does as we are to follow in his footsteps.

We can attempt to follow Gods will. No one is clean in the eyes of God and no one can follow God in all his commandants. That is the reason God came to earth as Jesus (at least part of God did) to make possible an eternal life even if we fail in following Gods will, and to be cleansed in the spiritual blood of Jesus Christ.

What an obvious strawman! Anyway allow me to burn that straw! In the new testament? Yes. If I lived 3000 years ago I would do what the Old testament God asked his followers to do, including total warfare.

Our ability to know the difference between right and wrong, our soul, our sentiency is the image of God the bible is talking about. God has no physical image that mankind can understand.

reva

6. tecoyah

tecoyah Well-Known Member Past Donor

No....Obviously we created it in Our Image.

7. RevAnarchist

That is not entirely false. Religion is the most corrupt, maybe false is a better word of all religious notions. But some scripture is makes more sense than others. God has no form the bible is clear on that, again if not cherry picking the bible to death. You know cherry pickers are more like vile vultures than anything else...hey I can use that!

reva

8. Prunepicker

Prunepicker Well-Known Member

It's not fiction. That's a myth started by those who can accept that God is real.

Yes, we're created in his image.

9. Prunepicker

If? A better question is "what are you going to do when you find out that
    God is real?"

There is no if. There is only is.

10. domer76

domer76 New Member

I just looked in the mirror and, by golly, I think so!

11. crank

crank Well-Known Member

Ozy ozy ozy .....

you DO judge god. you judge him to always act in the best interests of humanity - whether directly or indirectly. if you DIDN'T make this judgement of him always working in our best interests, you'd hardly be a Christian, now, would you.

:D :D ..... for a minute there I thought you asked me what I'd do if god was real. which is a funny question, because there are something like 300,000 gods and counting.

we hold BELIEVERS accountable for their beliefs in entities who allegedly behave in ways which would not be tolerated in humans.

- - - Updated - - -

what are you going to do when you find out that Vishnu is real?

12. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

If I am then god has a weird sense of humor. Either that or he has bad taste in fashion.

13. Ozymandis

Ozymandis New Member

Crank crank crank.....

That's your problem. You should hold believers accountable for their actions, not their beliefs. Maybe that's the key to anti theists. They believe themselves the arbiters of truth, thought police, and vindicators of history. Enlightening. Thank you.

14. domer76

domer76 New Member

Reference all the threads regarding gay marriage and refusal of service to see beliefs turned into action.

15. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

When it is said man is created in god's image, it isn't literally, in the physical image, for that would be sheer nonsense. What is meant by image is man is created in the consciousness of god. The consciousness which is god, and from which the universe manifested, is also in man, but only a fragment, for the physical brain cannot contain the totality of god consciousness. But it contains divine spark of it, and the spark is enough to imbibe man with consciousness, from which self awareness comes.

God's consciousness manifested, created the physical universe. Man uses his fragment of divine consciousness, limited by the physical brain to create all manner of wonderful things, from art to high technology. The trouble is, this fragment of consciousness also manifested the ego, and the ego is arrogant, self centered, self concerned, and got man into trouble. His ability to create went to his head, made him arrogant. The ego is also the origin of all sin, for sin is a pursuit of gratification by the ego, and if you hurt others in your pursuit of pleasure, this is sin, immorality.

Real, genuine salvation or enlightenment is when non ego consciousness finally sees and deeply understands, what the ego is, it's illusion, its temporary existence, that dies when the brain dies, and man is free from the slavery of the ego. And being free from the ego, this ends all psychological suffering, fear, ambition, competiveness, selfishness, hatred, the whole gamut of what is called immorality, and man is perfect, even as the father is perfect.

16. crank

crank Well-Known Member

Try living in a place where your worldview is considered by many to be 'evil', and where someone else's strange and dubious superstitions are imposed on you from birth til the grave - in subtle and not so subtle ways. Try living under govts who are still pandering to old superstitions (again, not your superstition), and where acquaintances, and even strangers, will be quite comfortable telling your kids supernatural horror stories when your back is turned. When you have even a vague sense of what that's like, you'll better understand why we hold believers accountable for beliefs that would result in scenarios as per above.

17. crank

crank Well-Known Member

when you've had it easy, and been in the prime position of unquestioned authority for centuries, it's very difficult to imagine why anyone should complain. Chamge the names in their dogma, and impose it on THEm for a week or two, and they'd be horrified. Many of us have put up with it for a lifetime.

18. Ozymandis

Ozymandis New Member

So their beliefs have harmed you and you feel that gives you authority to be judgmental toward broad swaths of the population, based not on action, but on belief? Justified stereotyping?

19. Ozymandis

Ozymandis New Member

That's action, which I agree we can look at and question, but he said belief. These are two different things. You progs sure know the difference when we talk about Islamic jihadists, with the reflexive "they aren't all like that" argument. Why aren't christians afforded the same tolerance?

20. RevAnarchist

Great post. Man in his arrogance has attempted to judge God and failed. Think about it! It's ridiculous on the face of it, man judge the creator of the universe?

reva

21. Prunepicker

Yes, a great post.

The wise person has his eyes in his head, but the fool walks in darkness.
    And yet I perceived that the same event happens to all of them.
    Ecclesiastes 2:14

22. crank

crank Well-Known Member

those delightful things mentioned in my 'what if' scenario ARE all actions, motivated by beliefs. You don't see it because you're not on the receiving end.

- - - Updated - - -

so why do you judge god?

23. crank

crank Well-Known Member

Fear not, Grasshopper, we're progressively turning the lights on.

24. Ozymandis

Ozymandis New Member

Even when agreeing with me, you think I'm taking the opposing position.

25. crank

crank Well-Known Member

always difficult to tell quite what you agree with and what you don't. Much of your content comes across as kneejerk defense of christianity, though I'm sure that's not your intention.