Why are military members forced to disarm on military bases?

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Texan, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

http://www.concealedcarrygazette.co...want-right-to-carry-on-military-installations

With mass shootings occurring on Army and Navy installations, why are our military members not allowed to protect themselves? Most terrorist attacks and mass shootings happen in gun free zones. Why do military members, who have been thoroughly background checked and have sworn to uphold and defend the Constitution of the US and obey the UCMJ, are held to very high standards, and are held accountable for their actions not allowed to protect themselves? It seems like a no-brainer to me. I realize that we don't need every 18 year old out of boot camp to be carrying a gun. I also realize that the flight line and other secured mission critical areas should be gun free except for military police. Shouldn't any military officer (commissioned or non commissioned) have the option of attending local CHL training and carrying while at the BX or commissary or at least keeping a gun locked in their cars?

My son is active duty military. While he owns guns, he is not allowed to have guns on the base where he lives. He has to depend on family members to keep his guns safe for him and he has no access to them except when he comes home on leave. Does the 2A not also apply to him?

2. Pregnar Kraps

Pregnar Kraps New Member Past Donor

First time I've been forced to ponder this.

Great point!

My first response is that, unlike in regular society, members of the military are a cut above the regular populace in terms of self control and mental stability and there are fewer miscreants and undisciplined, immature, unemployed, uneducated ajoles who are on drugs and unemployed running around who would likely use a weapon to commit crimes and terrorize folks.

Enlisted personnel, officers and civilian employees and their dependents represent a completely different demographic subset of society than the civilian world.

The argument can be made that guns for self defense really haven't been needed on military installations for all these many years because you are dealing with a higher class of people.

Islamic Jihad changes that.

One bad apple can kill a whole bunch.

3. Battle3

Battle3 Well-Known Member

So the more mentally stable you are the fewer rights you have?

4. Battle3

It seems stupid doesn't it? Gun Banners claim that they don't mind people having firearms if those people are trained in safety and firearms handling, have training in firearm retention so some mythical criminal can't just snatch the firearm away and start shooting people, and can handle themselves in stressful situations. Yet the most highly trained and most capable people - far more capable and trained than cops - are not allowed to carry or posses their personal firearms on military bases, not even in their own homes if they live in base housing.

Just more proof that the banners are not interested in safety, they just lie.

5. Pregnar Kraps

Pregnar Kraps New Member Past Donor

Anyone who's ever been in the ALL VOLUNTEER military knows they have fewer rights than civilians.

It's just a fact of life. They understand they are subject to the UCMJ and willingly enlist. It's no big deal.

Folks like you make me laugh.

6. Battle3

Being in the military means making some reasonable sacrifices.

Why are the most qualified (much more qualified than cops) to carry a firearm prevented from not only carrying but even possessing a personal firearm on base, even storing one in their home?

And after Ft. Hood, it is a big deal, and it should be a big deal.

7. Regular Joe

Regular Joe Well-Known Member

I had to keep my guns stored at the armory when I was in the Navy. No big deal. When I lived on ships, I was a member of the Security Alert Team and Back-up Alert Force. Everything was very much under control. The only time we ever "lost" the ship was during a SEAL training exercise. We had armed guys all over the place, but the SEALs were able to board the ship and capture the CO and XO.
    As for weapons retention- We were on Security Alert one fine day. I had an M-14. All of our members knew who was authorized to tell us to stand down, and who we had to defend against. The ships' Bull Ensign came up to me and told me to stand down. He can't do that. He reached out and told me to give him my weapon. He can't do that. He took a step toward me. I broke his jaw. I never heard anything about it after that.

8. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

Gun free zones on military installations is a liberal thing. The left don't trust the American military with guns. In Los Angeles the liberals also established gun free zones in gang infested neighborhoods.

>" Among President Clinton&#8217;s first acts upon taking office in 1993 was to disarm U.S. soldiers on military bases. In March 1993, the Army imposed regulations forbidding military personnel from carrying their personal firearms and making it almost impossible for commanders to issue firearms to soldiers in the U.S. for personal protection..."<

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/11/end-clinton-era-military-base-gun-ban/#ixzz3Qf0YiCIo
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

9. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

This topic needs to be revived in light of this.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...use-says-families-told-to-be/?intcmp=HPBucket

They warn military members to be vigilant, but don't allow them the tools to protect themselves. Any military member off base in uniform is almost guaranteed to be disarmed and an easy target. I am sitting at my son's "home of record". Is the rest of my family now a target? At least I have a chance of defending myself if needed. Our military and their families don't have that option on their commute to and from base.

10. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

err....um.....we are not at war on military bases in the USA.

we have MPs to handle security.

11. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

It's good to know that MPs will protect all military members who drive to and from their off base housing and guard military families while the military member is deployed. Try again. These people are threatening individual military members and there is nothing the military will do to allow military members to protect themselves.

12. Ronstar

err....they can keep a gun at home.

military bases in the USA are pretty damn safe places

13. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

I know. I've lived on a couple of them. My oldest son was born on one of them and is now living on one. What is the military doing to protect individual military members during their commute to and from base? They have to be disarmed during that time and these terrorists are threatening individual members and their families. Are they going to wait until these whack-jobs kill some military members? All I want is for them to have the option of keeping personal guns in their cars and be allowed to get CHLs and carry off base just like any other American.

What do you propose to protect them or are you ready to turn your back on them?

14. Ronstar

I'm sorry, but since when are military men on duty not allowed to carry a privately owned firearm in their car if they have a CCW?

15. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

These people aren't being threatened as an on duty force. They are being singled out and personally threatened and many of them live off base. They are not allowed to bring a gun on base and are forced to be unarmed while they are driving to and from their base. How hard is it for a terrorist to attack them arriving home or leaving for work? Why are you being intentionally obtuse?

16. Ronstar

I'd like to see evidence that these personnel are forbidden from bringing their privately owned firearms onto base in their cars if they have a CCW.

17. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

18. Ronstar

sorry, but there is no evidence whatsoever that soldiers driving from their offbase homes to their base, cannot carry a privately owned firearm in their car.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/baseguns.asp

what they cannot do, is walk around the base with their military issued weapon unless they are MPs.
    and btw, this only affects the Army, and no other branches.

and no, there was no EO by Clinton.

19. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

It's kind of hard to prove a negative. Show me where military members with a CHL can carry on base. I know the first they tell me when I work on a base is that I cannot bring a gun on base.

20. Ronstar

the argument is being made that its illegal for military personnel to carry their personal firearms in their car as they drive to base.

I'd like to see the regulation specifically stating this.

21. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

I haven't found a DOD wide reg. I have found regs for several installations and it is probably universal. I also found the Navy policy.
    http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=54055

"One highlight of the new policy is the ability for all Sailors to store their personal firearms in base housing or armories (when space is available), so long as they receive prior written approval from the installation commanding officer. Weapons must be stored in a locked container, a locked gun rack, or secured with approved trigger locks to keep the weapon from firing.

Weapons are still prohibited in other on-base locations, such as bachelor enlisted or bachelor officer quarters, work centers, and vehicles.

The policy also clarifies that Sailors must comply with all federal, state, and local laws, and that concealed weapons are never allowed on Navy installations, regardless of local law."

Military members can store their guns in family base housing or at the armory with permission, but concealed carry is prohibited regardless of state or local laws on Naval installations.

22. Ronstar

so they can keep it in their glove compartment as they drive to work?

good.

23. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member Past Donor

Army Regulation 90-114, passed in 1993, prohibits anyone who is not involved with law enforcement or security from carrying weapons on military installations.

However, this does not constitute complete disarming of soldiers on bases. The regulation allows law enforcement personnel to carry weapons to:
    1.Conduct law enforcement activities including cases or investigations of espionage, sabotage, and other serious crimes in which Department of Army (DA) programs, personnel, or property are involved and investigations conducted in hazardous areas or under hazardous circumstances.
    2.Protect classified information, systems, or equipment.
    3.Protect the President of the United States, high ranking Government officials, DOD personnel, or foreign dignitaries.
    4.Protect DOD assets and personnel.
    5. Guard prisoners.

24. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

Read my quote above. Guns are not allowed in vehicles.

25. Ronstar

your quote doesn't say that.