Bad news for the gop

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Surfer Joe, May 28, 2013.

1. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

I wonder what percentage of the people who will act disgusted by what you just said — know, deep under the layers of multicultural progressive dogma and political correctness, that you are speaking the truth.

2. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Well-Known Member Past Donor

You gotta love how in con world any good news is attacked and Obama discredited while every irrelevant bit of bad news is completely Obama's fault.
    Well, never mind. The voters aren't all such blind partisans and they are happy to give credit where it is due.

3. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

There was a sharp economic downturn referred to as a recession just before Bush left office.

But Bush took steps to stop the slide.

Obama did not think of TARP or implement it.

That was done for him by Bush before Obama took office.

4. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

We have heard the breathless reports that the Obama recession is finally over before.

In fact the lousy Obama economy has turned around so many times I've lost count of how many times the libs have told us that happy days are here again.

But it never seems to work out that way for most Americans.

5. toddwv

toddwv Well-Known Member Past Donor

It's kind of funny because Bush averaged less than 2% GDP growth during the entire two terms of his presidency. So do you still think that 2.5% is "Still dragging along the bottom?"

6. Iriemon

Iriemon Well-Known Member Past Donor

You figure a New RepubliKKKan party would do better with those policies, eh?

I have a tip for you: KKK members are already in the Tea Republican Party.

7. Iriemon

It just turned around once.

When Obama took office, the economy was tanking at a -9% real rate, losing 700,000+ jobs a month, unemployment was skyrocketing upward, and the stock markets were crashing in the worst recession in 80 years. The housing market was destroyed and we were headed straight for a depression.

And then it turned around.

And now the economy has been growing steadily for 15 straight quarters, the private sector has created additional jobs every month for 38 months in a row, stock markets are up 125% from their recession lows, the unemployment rate has fallen from above 10% to 7.5%, and about 6.8 million additional private sector jobs have been added since Jan 2010.

And this despite and obstructionist Republican Tea Party controlling the House, whose leaders say their top priority is to get him out of office, not to work with the president to improve the economy.

8. Iriemon

To the contrary, Obama pushed for Tarp as did the Congressional Democrats, which was a reason Bush went with it despite the fact that the Congressional Republicans opposed it.

It was one of the few correct things Bush did in his entire presidency.

9. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

If Obama had done noting the downturn would have corrected itself as the free market always does.

TARP was already in place before Obama became president.

10. Iriemon

The conservative "experts" here disagree with you:

11. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

It is no more baseless than giving all the credit to Obama because he just happened to be in office when the TARP worked it's alleged wonders.

12. Iriemon

Proof fail.

Take it up with the person who gave all the credit to Obama.

Conservative "experts" here say its all Obama's doing.

13. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

I have the same proof you do.

Your baseless opinion is no better then mine.

14. Iriemon

Proof fail.

The Conservative "experts" here say it's all Obama's doing. Maybe you can ask them.

15. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

You are really losing grip with reality now and just chanting nonsense rather than trying to make sense.

16. Iriemon

It's not nonsense at all. It's the conservative "experts" here who claim its all Obama's doing. Take it up with them.

17. signcutter

signcutter New Member

You know what? republicans were saying the same thing after Reagan... would have said the same thing after G.W Bush if the thing hadn't blown up in his face before he left office. So called average American liberals and democrats make the same mistake that average American right wing republicans make... they think they are ok if their chosen club is in power.... both clubs belong to Big-Money... cheer for one and you cheer for both.

18. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

You miss the point.

The Obama recovery is long overdue.

And I doubt if this tiny bit of good news will last long.

With Der Fuhrer its always one step forward and two steps back.

19. Iriemon

I didn't miss the point at all. The point was you claimed Obama's policies had nothing to do with the recovery, and then when I called you on it, totally failed to prove your point and instead challenged me on a claim I never made -- that Obama was solely responsible for it. I did however, point out that it was the many conservatives here who made the claim that Obama is totally responsible for the economy and proved it when you challenged me on it.

I was directly on point with my post.

As to the recovery, it's not long over due. The economy stopped tanking and started growing again within a year of Obama taking office. It has been recovering steadily ever since, despite Tea Party Republican attempts to derail it for political purposes.

It just has been slow. Just like that previous two recoveries, all of which were relatively slow and shallow. The last robust recovery we had was the early 1980s. In those days, we had a strong middle class, and we had a government with a post WWII low level of debt (proportionate to GDP), and we had a completely different government response:

Spending increase, 1981-1984: +25%.

Spending increase, 2009-2012: +0.6%

Total Government employment, 1981-1984: -27,000

Total Government employment, 2009-2012: -730,000

What do you figure the economy would be doing if federal government spending increased 25% over the past three years instead of being flat, and the Republican dominated state governments had not laid off 730,000 workers?

Since 1979, the 1%'s has doubled its take of the nation's income (to 20%) and wealth (to 40%).

What do you figure the economy would be doing if the middle classes had another $1.3 trillion in income to spend instead of it sitting in the offshore bank accounts of the 1%?

20. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Now we are getting somewhere.

The difference between the 1980's and today is that we no long have a manufacturing base to drive the economy.

Workers need jobs and most of our production has moved to China.

Bush ignored it and so has Obama.

That's why when you bash Bush it gets nowhere with me because I think he was a bad president.

Where we disagree is that you think Obama is better and he isn't.

21. Iriemon

Great. We both agree Bush totally sucked as a president and his policies were played a significant part in squandering the surplus and the economic fiasco.

I pointed out the difference between then and now in my post above.

Reagan dramatically increased spending in his recession. Federal spending has been flat the last three years. The states didn't add 730,000 people to the unemployment lines like they have over the past three years. The 99% got 90% of the nation's income, not just 80% as they do now.

We've had outsourcing for decades. There was no great surge of outsourcing in 2009-09 that explains why the unemployment rate jumped from about 5% to 10%. And no major increase over the past three years that explains why this recovery like the two before it have been slow. To the contrary, if anything jobs are being in-sourced.

Way to dodge my questions, btw. But the reason you did is obvious.

22. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

It's obvious to me that you care more about Obama not getting blamed for anything than you do about the problem itself.

Yes, the loss of factories and jobs to china didn't start under Obama.

So there, your precious lib president is not to blame for that.

But he's done squat to fix it and has just made the problem worse.

Bush was a fool.

But so is Obama.

The difference between them is that bush is gone and can do no more harm but Obama is still here and he is doing harm.

23. Iriemon

It's obvious to me that you cam more about blaming Obama than you do about the problem itself.

We don't have an outsource problem. We have a spending problem. The federal government spending hasn't grown for 3 years and is set to fall again this year, the states have added 730,000 more people to the unemployment rolls, and the 1% are taking 10% more of the nation's income and sticking it in offshore accounts where it isn't dong squat for the economy.

The middle class is tapped out and doesn't have the resources to spending and government isn't picking up the slack. Less spending = less demand = less production = less hiring.

That is the problem. And the Tea Party Republicans are doing everything in their power to prevent improvement in that function because they no a (*)(*)(*)(*)ty economy they can blame on Obama like you and the rest of the conservatives do is their only hope for more power.
    That's the problem.

24. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

OMG.

Talking to you is like talking to a Martian.

Without an interpreter.

We do have problem what you call "outsourcing".

That's why chinas economy is growing and ours isn't.

Then you say we have a spending problem which we do.

But rather than concede that government spends too much you think it doesn't pend enough.

You are hopeless.

25. Iriemon

OMG, you think firms are outsourcing more and giving more money to the 1% and austerity is the path to progress in a weak economy.

You are hopelessly deluded by RW propaganda.

Made in America: Trend against outsourcing brings jobs back from China
    http://rockcenter.nbcnews.com/_news...-outsourcing-brings-jobs-back-from-china?lite

Outsourcing Declines for Third Straight Year
    http://news.dice.com/2012/02/16/outsourcing-declines/

Outsourcing Declines, Are IT Jobs Coming Back?
    http://www.cio.com/article/706120/Outsourcing_Declines_Are_IT_Jobs_Coming_Back_