Santorum: Obama is ‘a snob’ because he wants ‘everybody in America to go to college’

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Think for myself, Feb 27, 2012.

1. NoPartyAffiliation

NoPartyAffiliation New Member

Ah, so then you agree with what Obama actually said! Well good for you sir!

2. WatcherOfTheGate

WatcherOfTheGate New Member

It's funny that they refuse to see that they agree with Obama actually said. They are so use to just spouting partisan nonsense against him they are blind to the fact they share the same view. What a bunch of boobs.

3. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

I would have thought he would want every student to go to college. That means a better chance of a decent job.

4. paco

paco New Member

Exactly. How many auto repairmen, waiters, bus boys, gas station attendants, landscapers, garbage men, etc. have college degrees?

Heck, my dad dropped out of college after one year, volunteered for the Air Force to avoid the Vietnam draft, got hired by the State of Alaska as an Electronics Technician, then worked his way up the ladder from that point to being a Communications Engineer before retiring with a full pension almost 10 years ago. He did all of that without a college degree, so yes, I believe that this "college for everyone" idea is a farce. Not everybody needs it. Not everybody requires it, because college is not for everybody. A person can get by in this country by good hard work alone better than they can with some kind of formal liberal education.

5. NoPartyAffiliation

Ah. So then you agree with what Obama actually said. Good for you sir!

6. Kcsorba

Kcsorba New Member

The thing is so many Americans go to college, those "decent jobs" are dwindling away. We need to bring manufacturing back to the states and those are the jobs you don't need college anymore. We have too many people that want to be the leaders and not enough workers.

7. Anikdote

Anikdote Well-Known Member

Master craftsmen will always be in demand, but they can only consume so much of the marketplace. Our economy is transforming and a different skill set is required, the best way to acquire many of those skills is through education beyond high school, whether that be through pursuit of a degree or some type of apprenticeship.

There's a certification aspect as well, where an employer sees you as being able to commit to a task and accomplish it, and sometimes that all the degree means. ~Unfortunately for a variety of reasons, that is the case today.

8. The Mello Guy

The Mello Guy Well-Known Member

So I assume Rick Santorum didn't go to college? And doesnt want his kids to?

9. jhffmn

jhffmn New Member

Showing that college graduates are more likely to be employed does not prove that a college degree makes an individual more employable. Correlation does not prove causation. You haven't proven anything for me to refute. And the fact that I have to repeat the same point now three times and you still haven't understood it, doesn't speak highly of your intelligence.

I would argue that there are many degrees that are worth while. But I suspect all that most college degrees do are weed out people who are incompetent, unambitious, and stupid. Since the individuals who graduate are already more employable, a college degree isn't adding any real value, and that same set of people would likely be employed without a degree. Since most people do not follow a field related to their area of study, I'd argue that most of higher education is a complete waste of time and energy.

10. NoPartyAffiliation

Wow. I've seen people convince themselves of many things in order to support political ideology but to say this, in order to support a lie told by a whackjob, well...
    Yeah okay. Scientists, doctors, lawyers, accountants, pastors, artists, structural engineers, software designers, chemists, veteranarians, physicists, all career military officers, pharmacist, architects, 87%+ of all CEO's...

Yeah, that higher education thing. If Rick Whacktorum says it's bad, it must be!

11. clarkatticus

clarkatticus New Member

I went to college and I load trucks, the insurance and money is better. There was a time when our fathers took pride in making something, a name tag on a respected company uniform was something to be proud of. Manufacturing didn't leave the US because our employees are bad, they left so individuals in large corps could make more money in third world nations that had no industry. That's changing, we will be leaving China, Vietnam, and other upcoming industrial nations as they begin to tax these corps. and grow their own manufacturing base. Obama didn't say (or mean) that he wanted everyone to go to college, he wanted everyone to have the ability to go to college, that to me is a lot better than the BS the GOP wants and I cannot find a single thing wrong with it. Today I was personally responsible for the delivery of millions of $$ worth of product on millions of $$ worth of equipment to multimillion $$ customers, I am satisfied and proud. I am also proud of my education and not a day goes by that I don't use it. Santorum is an arse exit

12. Never Left

Never Left Banned

Partisan out of context bloviation aside, how is Santorum wrong?

Everything that O'abam spouts about is leftist pie in the sky unrealistic generalizations. He is the very definition of FAIL!

13. jhffmn

jhffmn New Member

A few of those do not require degrees. Software developers I can tell you do not. Military Officers do not, you can go from college or from enlisted into officer training. Artists, really? I had to bold that one because WTF were you thinking there?

Architecture is the worst degree for finding a job (13.9% unemployment rate right now). http://www.inquisitr.com/176131/arc...bs-arts-and-humanities-not-much-better-study/

Of the rest listed only structural engineers, pastors, and accountants do not require advanced degrees. You forgot teaching and nursing which along with engineering are the best things you can get from an undergraduate degree.

An undergraduate degree really doesn't do much. Engineering degrees are great, but most students are getting worthless liberal art degrees.

Just because you need college to become a doctor, and being a doctor is a great job, does not mean that college is a good investment for the majority of people who go.

14. NoPartyAffiliation

Yes but your wrote "I'd argue that most of higher education is a complete waste of time and energy."

You know a software engineer that had NO advance training? Not even a MSCE? Military officers who didn't get ANY advanced training? No A school even?

What Obama said was that he'd like to see people get advanced training - be it vocational, apprenticeship or whatever.

So in order to agree with a politician who was lying anyway, you're still contradicting yourself - or agreeing with Obama. One of the two is inescapable on your part, at this point.

15. NoPartyAffiliation

You mean like this post?

16. danboy9787

danboy9787 New Member

Shows us once again that Santorum is a hypocrite! Part of his campaign structure in 06 had to do with higher education. But I basically agree with him, even though he shouldn't have said it. A few points:

1) To assume that everyone can, or even WANTS to go to college is idiotic.

2) Obama actually never said anything about sending everyone to college, all he said was that everyone who wants to should be able to afford it. Which is also stupid, because the federal government only has the power to cause inflation when it tries to meddle.

3) This is one of those examples where both parties have it dead wrong. Lol.

17. WatcherOfTheGate

WatcherOfTheGate New Member

It's odd that conservatives are proud of being uneducated. It's like they wear lack of education as a badge of honor.

18. Sly

Sly New Member Past Donor

19. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

There are lots of different "education".

Most of our education is OJT or trade school. IOW our education is geared toward practical business concerns and actually has something to do with our jobs.

A "Certificate in Diversity and Social Justice" is not an education!

A degree in Sociology, the Classics, or some other "Liberal Arts" degree is not education. It's garbage.

If an education doesn't make you ready for the workforce, or related in some specific way to the workforce, then it isn't education.

We don't need anymore "liberal arts" do-gooders looking for a Government or NGO job with the UN.

Those are political hacks and activists, not value added professions.

20. Sly

Wake up, Obama never said that! Santorum made it up.
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...antorum-calls-barack-obama-snob-wanting-ever/

21. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

What Santorum is really saying is that Obama is out of touch with reality.

Much the same way that Bush41 was trashed by the left for not knowing the local price of milk or eggs Obama does sound very elitist.

Because in a majority minority liberal Democrat city like Detroit over 50% of the students fail to finish high school.

Yet here is Obama who thinks their problem is a lack of access to college?

What a joke.

22. Sly

Sure it is, now tell us who said that.

23. jhffmn

jhffmn New Member

I do know software engineers with no advanced training. However I stand by my statement that most higher education is a waste of time, money, and energy because most higher education is spent in areas that do not translate into jobs and nothing you've said addresses that statement.

And yet, neither of those two describe my position which is that most higher education is a waste of time. If you want my opinion on Obama's statement, everyone already can go to college. He's wasted enough money, he needs to go home and keep his mouth shut.

It's not that hard to pay your own way through school, I did it. People need to nut up. The real crisis right now is that we are graduating millions with thousands in student debt with no marketable skills to pay it back.

24. Sly

No Santorum is out of touch with reality. He made up everything.

25. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Again, Obama does not seem to understand that when 50% of the students do not graduate high school that leaving the door open for them to go to college is insane.

Why not teach them to read and write before making them brain surgeons?

As for making college more affordable why not ask the lazy professors to teach more and pay them less?

If the price of a college education keeps going up its because the colleges are not providing enough bang for the buck.