The universe doesn't seem designed to me

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by CausalityBreakdown, Sep 10, 2014.

1. CausalityBreakdown

CausalityBreakdown Banned at Members Request

I often hear it argued that a god is evident because the universe looks designed. And it may seem like that, much in the same way it seems like a puddle was designed for the hole it fills.

But, quantum physics. See, the more I read about them, the more I grasp the bizarre and chaotic nature of the universe. So much of it contradicts what any sane person thinks of as simple logic. Superpositions, entanglement, etc. If the universe was created, it looks to be not the work of a master novelist, but rather the work of his cat walking across the keyboard.

2. yguy

yguy Well-Known Member

Perhaps you'd like to tell me what's chaotic about quantized spin and energy levels, or every electron having the same charge and every proton having an equal and opposite charge.

Actually I'd suggest that sanity impels the observer to accept the fact that the observations are beyond his present understanding.

Presumably, if you were to open an mp3 file of Stravinsky's Petrushka in a text application, you'd exclaim, "Why, it's nothing but random characters! Any idiot could do that!"

3. JuanGoodguy

JuanGoodguy New Member

Atheists are arrogant. They really do think they can prove there couldn't possibly be a God or gods.

4. Vicariously I

Vicariously I Well-Known Member

Arrogance is claiming knowledge of the unknowable. Atheist do nothing more than reject the claims of those who not only say there is a God but that they are on good terms with him.

5. fifthofnovember

fifthofnovember Well-Known Member

The "logic" and "sanity" of our brains are derived from the macro world which they perceive. If our senses perceived only the quantum world, no doubt our logic and sanity would say that the macro world makes no sense.

6. JuanGoodguy

JuanGoodguy New Member

No, atheists are arrogant pricks. That's why no one likes them or to be around them. Atheists are so arrogant, they hardly even like each other.

Arrogance is like a requirement for being an atheist it seems.

7. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

Indeed. I love fresh air, love being out and breathing the fresh air near where I live. Just as well as a human I can process the corrosive gas called oxygen.

- - - Updated - - -

All atheists? Or just the ones you know?

8. heresiarch

heresiarch Well-Known Member

Speaking from a philosophical view, everything is so, because it couldn't go otherwise, there's only one way it could be... so everything is perfect as it is. This " perfection " can be interpreted as a manifestation of god for religious people. This obviously excludes every kind of free will... but it's funny how we actually can think about these things, trying to rationalise something which is unexplainable rationally.

9. crank

crank Well-Known Member

I wonder how that works in Norway, or Japan. Do the minority (religionists) in those countries end up migrating elsewhere to get away from the arrogance?

10. crank

crank Well-Known Member

They do? I've never met an atheist who thinks they can prove that no gods exist. Which, given I live in an atheist majority nation, must be viewed as quite an achievement, given your premise.

Most atheists I've met (in other words almost everyone I've ever met, in half a century of life) don't give a hoot whether or not gods actually exist. We merely reject the assertion that they do - since no one can possibly know such a thing. And since any gods which might exist don't appear to have any meaningful impact on our world, there is simply no need to consider them. Factoring them into an otherwise full life would be like deliberately making a space for the earnest contemplation of ...... horse feathers.

11. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

And yet many Christians claim to know the mind of God. As far as arrogance goes, that's pretty hard to beat.

12. crank

crank Well-Known Member

it's beaten by the claim that they are the extra super duper special favourites of this universe creating god, while the vast majority of people and all the animals and plants, are not.

it's always entertaining when "I accept I'm dust when I die, and that no magical sky daddy is going to come along and save me" is called arrogance. more so when that accusation comes from someone who demands immortality and a fancy chair in the great hall of the gods.

13. CKW

CKW Well-Known Member

Self-worship

14. crank

crank Well-Known Member

you do realise that your god is said to live within you (as a Christian), and so technically you worship yourself? on the other hand, atheists don't 'worship' anything, least of all the voices in their head

15. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

There of course is nothing at all wrong with that. Some folks feel as you do, others see reality as a dream that they will wake from when they die, others see it as an in between realm.

Everybody thinks differently, that is why there are so many differing belief systems out there.

16. domer76

domer76 New Member

Nope. I've never claimed that. From my observations of the world, I just find no evidence of the all-loving, all-knowing, intervening, omnipotent god of the Christian Bible. If there was a creator of the universe, he's either neutral and non-involved or long gone. Not the reward-and-punishment kind of god portrayed by certain Christians.

Arrogance is that one believes theirs is the only true religion and that the omnipotent creator of the billions of galaxies and trillions of stars and planets actually gives a flying (*)(*)(*)(*) about them personally.

Humility, and one you'll find in atheists, is that we are nothing special and quite insignificant in the entire scheme of things.

17. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

It's up to God or to the gods to prove that they exist. So far not one of them has done anything godly to prove its existence.

18. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

some are, just like some Christians are arrogant pricks

19. Vicariously I

Vicariously I Well-Known Member

The only part of this post that is remotely worth while is the end when you say, "it seems." And when you combine "it seems" with your overwhelming bias you get a point-of-view that isn't worth very much in any discourse.

20. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

What an arrogant statement. Prove something doesn't exist? Ha ha.
    How about proving what you 'believe' exists. You can't becuase it is only a belief. sheeesh.

- - - Updated - - -

Says the arrogant poster.

21. robini123

robini123 Well-Known Member

Such hyperbole reflects badly upon your theistic beliefs.

22. Woolley

Woolley Well-Known Member

My bet is that you know very few atheists and engage them in even fewer deep conversations. Religion is the penultimate form of arrogance, people presume to know what a mythical being thinks because someone had a hallucination.

23. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

this guy has a msg you should listen too

[video=youtube;MFEveczsDaU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFEveczsDaU[/video]

[video=youtube;uht-wWAP8vU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uht-wWAP8vU[/video]

24. ronmatt

ronmatt New Member

The Universe is just a bunch of stuff out there in space. No one really knows why it's there, how it actually got there or where it's all going. There are theories, there are stories...but no one really knows too much about it. No need to worry though, it's there, (I think) just accept it and enjoy it while you can. What difference would it really make to you if you understood it? Would you sleep better at night? No, you'd just find something else to puzzle over.

25. cjm2003ca

cjm2003ca Active Member

maybe god in theory is just to make people behave and be nice to each other and do no harm unto others....