Afghanistan: Smart Political Move by Obama

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by NoPartyAffiliation, May 1, 2012.

1. NoPartyAffiliation

NoPartyAffiliation New Member

He actually said we would be withdrawing last year but this was pretty slick. Release the campaign video just before the one year anniversary of bin Laden's death. Use Romney's own words about how he would never go into Pakistan against him and lure him into a quibble.
    Then go to Afghanstan and announce our full withdrawal.

I'll be curious to observe what the GOP comes up with as a counter-punch and I'm sure it will be regurgitated here as soon as it's out. I'm betting they go with "He's only doing it because it's an election year." which is like "Yeah so what?". They might try "He's taking too long and will be spending too much money!" but that will be tough to sell, considering they put us there in the first place. Maybe they'll get more creative.

In any case, this was smart politics by Obama.

HillBilly and (deleted member) like this.
  2. NoPartyAffiliation

BTW, John McCain, who campaigned for president by saying he had a secret plan to find and kill bin Laden, has come out to say it's wrong to mention bin Laden as a compaign point. Hmmm.

3. thediplomat2.0

thediplomat2.0 Banned

Smart politics, bad for geopolitical relations.

4. NoPartyAffiliation

I disagree. I think we need to get TF outta there and really, once OBL was hit, could have done so almost immediately. it's not like anyone we've ever helped in the Middle East, has ever done anything but hate our guts, let alone appreciate what we've done for them.
    Okay, Israel would be an exception.

5. NetworkCitizen

NetworkCitizen New Member

You should ask again if it is really a full withdrawal. Someone has to keep the poppy flowing to America.

6. Foolardi

Foolardi Well-Known Member Past Donor

Disgustingly Partisan and Juvenile.No need to expound any further
    except to add why couldn't Ann Dunham just have gotten widdle Barry
    a G.I. Joe doll or sandbox.Would have spared much displeaser in this
    Country.

7. Foolardi

Foolardi Well-Known Member Past Donor

Disgustingly Partisan and Juvenile.No need to expound any further
    except to add why couldn't Ann Dunham just have gotten widdle Barry
    a G.I. Joe doll or sandbox.Would have spared much displeaser in this
    Country.

8. Texsdrifter

Texsdrifter Well-Known Member

When Obama won the election I had hoped he would end the failed "war on terror" and the "war on drugs". It seems he just continued the same policies the fact he is a democrat the ones who usually protest those mistakes have become very quite. That shows party affiliation is more important to some than ethics. Iraq was a waste of money and life so is Afghanistan. We would still be in Iraq if they had not insisted we leave, Afghanistan will be the same if we respect their decision. The only thing we have accomplished is giving Iran more control over it's neighbors. Not to mention creating more enemies to attack America in the future.

9. NoPartyAffiliation

So then, you're still undecided as to for whom your vote will be cast?

10. leftysergeant

leftysergeant New Member

Just can't forgive him for whacking GWB's nasty old boogeyman, can you?

11. thediplomat2.0

thediplomat2.0 Banned

We should have done so while establishing strong diplomatic relations. This is what I was going to explain in greater detail, but you summed it up for me. This is the criticism that I have with the President's plan, that he did not forward a more diplomatic approach that takes into account the complexities of Afghanistan, along with a speedy, and I mean speedy, withdrawal.

12. NetworkCitizen

NetworkCitizen New Member

Obama didn't whack anyone. He surely didn't show proof, sounds familiar, like proof that he is actually a citizen, and all of his records that he spent a few million to cover-up as his first action in the highchair.

Obama is a joke. A joke on liberals especially. He's proven that you're definitely not intellectually superior, as you continue to support a totalitarian fascist.

catalinacat and (deleted member) like this.
  13. NoPartyAffiliation

Ah. Then we're agreed.

Well those are some lovely talking points and I'm sure Uncle Rush would give you a big thumbs up, if he saw this. So politically, do you think this will gain Obama points?

14. CanadianEye

CanadianEye Well-Known Member Past Donor

Almost 2,000 troops killed since OBL was killed. Brilliant Obama strategy my ass. /puke. This guy isn't a CIC. He is a tyrant trying to hang onto his dictatorship.

catalinacat and (deleted member) like this.
  15. ptif219

ptif219 Well-Known Member

More of Obama using the troops for votes. He goes to the Afghan president first before speaking to the troops.

I get the feeling that ending the war is more important to Obama than leaving Afghan able to defend itself

16. NoPartyAffiliation

Okay a couple things here. 1. You expect him to go ask permission from the troops? To make a public announcement before it's official? I find your thinking flawed.
    2. You think we should stay in Afghanistan? Please explain your reasoning.

17. Texsdrifter

Osama was just a figure head we are no safer with him dead than when he was alive. Americans dancing in the streets for the killing of a unarmed man like we had won the superbowl was embarrassing at least to me. I am no fan of Bush an Obama continuing the same agenda does not earn my respect. For every terrorist we have killed we have created dozens more. I find the ones that insult Bush yet praise Obama to be hypocrites. You should have the same moral values regardless of who is in charge.

18. kenrichaed

kenrichaed Banned

The election will be about the economy. When it comes time to vote this OBL issue will be old news. Might give him a bump in the polls over the next few weeks but certainly won't last. Romney should just ignore him.

19. Texsdrifter

You are correct, I do not believe anybody will switch sides because of this issue. The economy and the supreme court ruling on the ACA will decide who wins.

20. ptif219

I think the troops are more important than Kharzi and Obama's using Afghan to get votes. This is not about Afghanistan this is about the election that is why Obama did it on the one year anniversary of Bin Laden.

I think we should not leave unless we know Al-Qaeda and the Taliban can not take it back.

Do you think the Afghans can defend themselves?

21. ptif219

I talked to a veteran today that was in Afghanistan in 2003 he said we bombed Bin Laden's hideout and there is no way he lived through it.

22. ptif219

I talked to a veteran today that was in Afghanistan in 2003 he said we bombed Bin Laden's hideout and there is no way he lived through it.

23. NoPartyAffiliation

I agree with you BUT there is one other aspect to this. The Dems have always been perceived as weak on defense. Now things are reversed. The GOP is perceived as the party who will get us into costly, no-win conflicts that are based on lies, banktupt us and never end. The Dems are now viewed as the party who has gotten us out of the mess that was Iraq, is getting us out of Afghanistan, got us in and out of Libya quickly and without huge losses of American life & money.
    Oh. And he got the guy the GOP said wasn't important. All the BSers in the wrodl can't convince me that if Bush had gotten him, they wouldn't have celebrated. He was behind the killing of thousands of our fellow countrymen in a direct attack on US Soil. You danm right I celebrated.

24. Texsdrifter

We will never leave if those are the stipulation for withdraw. The Pashtuns are the largest demographic and they support the Taliban. So the other ethnic groups alone can not defend themselves. We either stay forever or give it back to the Taliban or Iran. We can not afford to spend the money to continue the ocupation in a country that does not want us there.

25. Texsdrifter

I would not be suprised that our government lies about things. However I think they would have at least claimed he had a weapon if they were going to lie. It is odd they did not bring his body back IMO.