The End is Nigh says 3 million americans .

Discussion in 'Latest US & World News' started by Marlowe, Feb 11, 2012.

1. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

The White House has a massive underground complex with tunnel networks etc. If the worst happens (God forbid) don't count on your government representatives to open the fortified door for you.

Putting wild speculation aside, it's always a good idea to have extra food on hand as well as firearms for protection (in case law enforcement is compromised) and to get food in case of a huge disaster with long-term deficits in food production and transportation. Some Heirloom seeds are also a good idea.

In the case of a catastrophic sun-flare or asteroid hit the best chance for survival is underground. Those that have the means have already provided for themselves and their families and keep it to themselves.

2. BleedingHeadKen

BleedingHeadKen Well-Known Member Past Donor

It does sound crazy, but if you ever visit your local CostCo or Sams Club, you'll see that they are very efficient about use of warehouse space. They store very little in comparison to the amount that they sell on a daily basis. Even three days is an overestimate - when people go into panic mode they are going to buy up everything they can get and "anti-gouging" laws make shortages far more likely.

3. BleedingHeadKen

Don't be so sure. Earthquakes happen everywhere, and London is certainly in a position to have a bad one. California is well prepared for them, for the most part, but I'm not going to rely on FEMA to get it right. There are many other things that can happen, such as floods and tidal waves. Will you rely on your pleasant English government to come to your rescue before your neighbors come looking for your food supply?

It's not St. Andreas. It's San Andreas. You might as well refer to my city as St. Francis and I'll refer to your capital city as Londinium.

4. talonlm

talonlm New Member

Frightened of the right, are you? Or is it frightened of the resopnsibilty?

And, at any rate, none of the Republicans have much to show me. My interests are much more isolationist than anyone else up there, so you'd probably rather my political beliefs reign. Unfortunately, there are the UBLs and Tojos and Hitlers of the world who would seem to disagree, so that's not the way of things in this world. But we are way too interventionalist, that's for certain, and I'd love to see that changed.

As for the 'gun nut' comment, it is what it is. I've seen the thread, I know what you're referring to. My children know how they are to act around weapons, my weapons are secured. My family has owned weapons for generations, we've never had an incident like it. Why are you calling me a 'gun net?'

As for the incident you refer to, it's the weapons' owner's responsiblity. It's a choice to own weapons; you chose to do so, you also chose to take on the responsiblity to ensure their weapons are properly secured. That's the responsiblity of the person owning the weapon, not the government.

Personal responsiblity. Something a lot of people the world over should study and live.

5. Marlowe

Marlowe New Member

If so then , I doubt you or I will be around in the unlikely time when it happens . IMO - mere wishfull thinking on your part.

Whatever , happens , I dont think our citizens will panic + paranoid as Americans in stocking up with firearms in order to kill each other. Well at least not before you lot have done so . LOL .

tatty-byeeeee.

6. GeneralZod

GeneralZod New Member

The americans can share the bunkers together. Since the forum secret is out.

Brokeback political forum.

7. Marlowe

Marlowe New Member

Thx for the correction and congratulations for being this months "Pedant Award winner "

:rolleyes:

8. Iolo

Iolo Well-Known Member Past Donor

What on earth are you talking about? You have as much personal responsibility as a flea.

9. BleedingHeadKen

I guess those with a measure of independence all left your island nation some time ago, leaving behind those with a natural inclination to be subjects to authority and a tendency toward unquestioning obedience. If I had to between a extremely small risk that someone with a gun might shoot me some day, or to live in a nation covered in CCTV, I think I'd take the one that is still largely free of surveillance but ever so slightly more dangerous. Not that I'm happy with the way things are going here; I think the US will eventually become as paranoid and fearful as Britain, but by then I plan to be long gone.

10. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Minor correction...'San' is Spanish for 'Saint' in CA, it is quite typical for towns to be named after saints because, at one time, a chain of Catholic 'missions' populated the area along a road that was called El Camino Real with 21 missions, 4 presidios, pueblos etc.

11. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

'Ever so slightly' more dangerous? Ken, your gun-crime statistics are appallingly high. The last time I checked CCTV couldn't kill me, or go on a shooting spree. I would say, though, that far too much money is spent on CCTV installation by cash-strapped local authorities, and for little apparent benefit.

12. BleedingHeadKen

I'll take the Pedant Award and return the favor with the award to you for Most Patronizing.

13. talonlm

talonlm New Member

Can't handle the argument so attack the poster? Not exactly an innovative debating technique, Iolo.

Do you disagree with the idea of making people responsible for themselves? Do you feel a government is better able to determine what a person should or should not do? That is, after all, at the core of this discussion on 'preppers.' Someone who prepares generally feels they are responsbile for themselves and their families in a time of crisis for a reasonable amount of time. Stockpile a little food, a little water, get a generator, make sure you have fuel for your vehicles, medical supplies on hand, all to hold out for a week or two while the government gets their collective act together. (You will, of course, have your extremists out there.) And part of that preparation, for me, at any rate, includes a method of protection, in this case, firearms.

14. FearandLoathing

FearandLoathing Well-Known Member

that would be an excellent post if it made sense.

15. BleedingHeadKen

Hence my sarcastic comment about referring to my city, "San Francisco" as "St. Francis". "San Andreas" is the proper name of the fault and should not be anglicized.

16. JIMV

JIMV Well-Known Member Past Donor

Nothing...the world is full of predators and prey. When/if the the idiots who pretend to govern us drop the ball, bad things will happen. Then the folk who are ready will have a vastly greater chance of coming through the hard times than today folk who live hand out to hand out and righteously demand more as members of the 99%.

17. JIMV

JIMV Well-Known Member Past Donor

The 'Global Warming' cult comes to mind...

18. Iolo

The whole point about democracy is to come to democratic decisions about what we all do, otherwide the weakest will be eaten by the evil and stupid. Under the plutocracy, obviously, only the very rich get anything, and they care nothing about our survival. You deduce from this you can somehow survive like a wolf, but you are quite wrong - they will simply shoot you down like a mad dog the moment you get in their way - disciplined troops wipe out hermits and mobs. The answer is to take power from the rich, and since we are in a huge majority that will be quite easy the moment the mugs get shot of their drunken fantasies. And that is why I get rude: I have seen and heard this stuff before, all too often.

19. verystormy

verystormy Active Member

Sorry, but as a geoscientist i can debunk this myth. The geomag pole is already moving. It will now take around 10,000 years before it is flipped. There is nothing unusual about this and is not dangerous in the normal sense of the word - my geological compass would need to be replaced, but as i would be rather surprised to be still walking around then, i guess its not too big a pain. It flips regularly and we use this to help date techtonic shift as magnetic alignment in the minerals, particularly magnetite, change according to the pole mag. This, in mag surveys appears as a stipped effect and around the oceanic rifts and by counting the stripes we can ascertain spreading. Sounds a little accademic i know, but we actualy use it to help us predict things like where might be a good area to look for mineral deposits by turning the clock back.

20. verystormy

verystormy Active Member

Oh, and for the guy who put earlier that London will suffer a massive earthquake, i would stop watching sci-fi and enroll in a geology course or two. In order to suffer a major quake you require a large active fault and to be in the correct geological setting - a fault on its own will not do anything unless there is energy to cause it to move such as a plate margin or in the area of orogenic uplift (mountain building). Whilst there is ever prospect of a large orogony developing with geological uplift in the region, it is not going to be happening any time in the next several millions of years. The last one that effected the UK gave rise to the mountains of Scotland. This occured around a couple of giga years ago when the gneissic terrain was uplifted from deep in the crust. At this time Scotland was part of Canada and hence the reason the lewisian gneiss in Scotland is part of the same belt of gneissic rocks that are found in Canada. So it is safe to say you can go to bed tonight without worrying if London will be there tomorrow.

21. Iolo

To my surprise, Very Stormy, I know all that (literary studies are my thing). But because you know about the history, which millions don't, let's face it, are you arguing that those who write about global warming are somehow wrong? Or are you, laudably, just correcting mistaken ideas about the past?

22. MisLed

MisLed New Member

and maxine waters remarks about not sending the demon republicans back to congress.

23. GeneralZod

GeneralZod New Member

If confident to earthquakes in london, put a bet on it.

Like the very optimistic gentlemen in the uk, who bet his house that brighton (football club) would be promoted to a higher league.

24. verystormy

verystormy Active Member

Oh, but just for fun, i will give one serious threat. Yellowstone and its sisters in places such as New Zealand and Sumatra do pose significant threats. If yellowstone was to erupt in a large way then up to two thirds of the continental US would be uninhabitable for a long period of time. It and some of the others are actually slightly over due an eruption and in the case of yellowstone it has shown increased activity in recent years.

Another, though less likely threat is that of LIP (Large igneous province) which are essentially flood basalt outpourings. The basalt itself, whilst huge is not the threat. The gas that is released is. The last two large ones occured around 65 million years ago and 250 million years ago; the siberian and decan traps. A significant number of geologists no longer believe that the dinosuars disapeared due to astroid strike, but rather as a result of the eruption. The 250 million year old one is also concordant with the mass extinction at the end of the permian period which is the greatest mass extinction event in history.

In in the event of an LIP having 10 years of baked beans stored at home and a couple of guns under the bed wont be of a lot of help as you would not be able to breath the atmosphere.

25. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

From my layman's point of view I'm given to understand that the Yellowstone caldera is about due to give birth-in spectacular fashion-given the geological history of the area.