Right wing wet dream

Discussion in 'Labor & Employment' started by Royd Bogan, Feb 23, 2011.

1. flounder

flounder In Memoriam Past Donor

That be your ass as well........:mrgreen:

2. Royd Bogan

Royd Bogan New Member

And it could have been better if the workplace had been organised.

3. Royd Bogan

Royd Bogan New Member

The polite term is "strawman" but to me, being impolite, it's "bull(*)(*)(*)(*)" The bull(*)(*)(*)(*) fallacy is where someone refers to another's argument, misrepresents it and then tries to portray the misrepresentation as the argument of the opponent.

It's simply bull(*)(*)(*)(*).

4. flounder

Geeez nothing like Doom and Gloom. How about people getting back incentive and doing better than the next guy, no restrictions,,,,,Better man wins*,,,Yessss Now THAT'S the American dream.......

[​IMG]

5. cloppbeast

cloppbeast New Member

I'm getting so sick and tired of these discussions. It's getting old. I've already explained the effects of unions on the market labor market a few times.. It's not as simple as rich vs. poor, there's more too it than that. If you guys just don't get that or can't understand it, there's a more in depth analysis here. Until then, have at it and keep wasting your time. You'll never get an accurate understanding until you open your mind and attempt to understand the ramifications of unions. Until then, just mistakenly conclude that unions are the silver bullet for the middle class, but until you understand the full dynamic, just **** about it. It's getting old.

6. Royd Bogan

Royd Bogan New Member

Dream it is, not reality.

7. Royd Bogan

Royd Bogan New Member

Just before you go, thanks for the link.

8. Royd Bogan

Royd Bogan New Member

I read that paper from Sherk. Why do American companies have to pass on increased labour costs to consumers? Are they all mismanaged or something? Jeez no wonder you're on your knees economically, you've got idiots running your corporations.

9. ian

ian New Member

Not at all, our economy is based largely on agricultural exports and resources, we are booming over here. Know anyone who wants a job? Its manufacturing where you will get the competition from the Chinese and their cheap labour. Which is why your economy is doing so badly and ours is doing so well.

10. flounder

I am speaking about the comparison to China, that was what we were speaking about. Look at 20210 GDP for instance....

[​IMG]
    Not that big a difference between you and the U.S., we are having a bit of a set back. All countries go through it. Look at China however,,,Yeah she is kicking your butt too....

http://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2010/1/26/saupload_2010gdpgrowth.png

And as far as the GDP goes...well..We are going through a minor set back. We will bounce back stronger than ever. The housing Market in Australia is starting to take it's lumps as well. Jobs are one thing, affording a home another...
    China is about a third our size, what is she to you?
    [​IMG]

The U.S is still among the ten Richest countries in the world, for it's size that's remarkable. There are more Billionaires living in the U.S. than there is in the entire world...
    http://www.justsharethis.com/top-10-richest-countries-in-the-world-2011/

11. ian

ian New Member

lol. double Lol, let me do a ROFL as well. Australia has a population of 22 million. GDP does not directly relate to wealth. Our unemployment is 5 percent, yours is about 20 percent. We cant fill jobs over here, we are forced to import labour. I can sell my house and buy 10 similar ones in the US. Tell me again how China is killing us.

12. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

You don't need a union to have a good workplace.

13. ian

ian New Member

12 year old chldren were doing 14 hour shifts in coal mines before unions.

14. RedWolf

And how long ago was this? Times have changed and we have laws in place now to prevent those kinds of things.

15. Revere

Revere New Member

Not to worry. Obama is going to put the coal mines out of business.

16. highway234

highway234 New Member Past Donor

not for long.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20110223/OPINIONS02/102230356/1002/SPORTS/?odyssey=nav|head

after the republicans are finished busting the unions, they'll be coming after the labor laws next.

ian and (deleted member) like this.
  17. cloppbeast

cloppbeast New Member

I hope you read it with an open mind.

18. RedWolf

If for some weird unexplainable reason politicians decide to try something like, you would have plenty of republicans standing against them. Unions served a purpose once upon a time. But with time came progression. Anyone who would actually try to worsen the labor conditions now for this country would face all kinds of hell from people.

19. brianm_34

brianm_34 New Member

Really??? Nobody is trying to take holidays, lower the minimum wage or compromise safety. I work for a private company with no union. I am payed well, get plenty of paid time off (which I usually don't use) and get 11 paid holidays a year.

I am also the safety officer for my company, and I constantly ensure all OSHA standards are met, plus above and beyond. My company paid for all employee safety equipment, and conducts safety training three times a month!

Fourteen paid days off a year, plus 11 holidays are plenty for the average person. The problem libs have with less time off is it means they have to actually work for a living!

20. cloppbeast

cloppbeast New Member

You're proving yourself a simpleton.

A company's goal is to make money, and a well managed one makes as much money as possible. It shouldn't be that hard to understand that if a product costs more to produce, it will correspondingly be need to be sold at a higher price. This seems pretty obvious to me, but I guess for others this is just a complicated concept.

Businesses set their prices to make the most money, since this is in fact their purpose. The optimum, or the equlibrium price, is set where the supply and demand intersects in order to avoid either a surplus or shortage. If the price is set too high, the company will experience a surplus. If the price is set too low, the company will experience a shortage.

How does increased production effect supply and demand? The supply will move up (, or left depending on how you look at it).
    [​IMG]
    You can see in the chart how increased production effects the price. S0 represents the original supply; St represents the supply after the union is implemented. You should be able to see why a business has to raise prices when production costs increase, but I won't take anything for granted :frustrated:.

Let's pretend for a second that an idiot business were to keep it's price the same. In the above supply-demand example, that would mean leaving it at P0. If you were to translate the price of P0 to the supply of St, you can see there would be excess demand. In other words, the company wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand. It would experience a shortage and would sell a fewer quantity as well. This not only negatively impacts the business in reduced profits, but also consumers.

This shortage situation happened in the Dirty South in the gasoline market a few years ago. A hurricane broke a gas line, which significantly reduced the supply of gas in the southern states. Gas stations did not adjust, and kept gas prices the same. The result was a shortage. People couldn't get to work, because they're wasn't any gas. Other's just lined up for days waiting for the next shipment. If you were alive in the '70s, you should remember gas lines that were the result of price fixing by the federal government.

21. mikezila

mikezila New Member

i was so expecting PAB and Hasselbeck in a photoshopped demotivational poster. :(

this thread is such a tease! :angered:

22. cloppbeast

cloppbeast New Member

Apples to oranges.

You don't really think without unions or government regulations that 12 year old children would still be working 14 hour shifts in coal mines? I hope not, because that would be a long explanation - one in which you would doubtfully read.

23. ian

ian New Member

The only reason this practise was stopped was because the unions fought to do so, it is a sad fact that those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it. Do you really think big corporations which react only to shareholder price give a toss about people? They are entities created solely to maximise profit, welfare of human beings does not enter into their decision making process.

24. SpankyTheWhale

SpankyTheWhale New Member

Caring about people does not instigate good policy.

25. cloppbeast

cloppbeast New Member

You didn't answer my question:

Do really think without unions or government regulations that 12 year old children would still be working 14 hour shifts in coal mines?