My View: A Romney/Paul Ticket

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Trinnity, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

Don't misunderstand. All the candidates have their merits. Gingrich is an expert on the Constitution, history, Washington, and politics. He knows how to get things done. He's a pit bull and would decimate Obama in a debate. But I think Obama knows this, and would make an excuse NOT to debate him.
    Santorum is a solid conservative and a fine family man. A man of devout faith as well. He comes across as sincere.

BUT

I would love to see a Romney/Paul ticket. This would be a great strategic move for the GOP. I do think Romney will be the eventual nominee, and Paul will bring on board the libertarian wing of the Republican party and attract constitutionalists and other key groups.

I think independents would find merit in this ticket as well. As a Christian, I don't think a rise in the religious right is strategically anything but a big mistake. The govt needs to focus on fiscal issues and get out of social issues. It's just not the place of govt to be involved in those matters.

Ron Paul's popularity with various groups would be a plus on the ticket.

Young people are rallying to Paul this time, not Obama.

Women are the bill payers. Women are practical and don't like being lied to.
    What did Obama do for women and their household budgets? Has he been honest? Can he run on his record? no no no

I think women will be turning to the GOP this year and Ron Paul appeals to their fiscal concerns. Economy. Budget.

Oh, and there's independents....this is where elections are won.
    Obama had them in '08. Not anymore. All polls show he's lost them; I've written about that before-
    So where are they headed? Toward the GOP in general and Ron Paul quite a bit.

Yep, together they will be a great ticket.
    I hope the GOP is seeing this. All they need to is LOOK. It's a good strategy.
    I hope Romney is getting this too. He and Paul should team up.

They can beat Obama/Biden in NOvember.

imagine Ron Paul debating Joe Biden....lol

2. stekim

stekim New Member

Ron Paul supporters are unlikely to vote for Romney unless it appears he will not make it 4 years. As a Libertarian (although not a full fledged Paul supporter), some asshat like Romney putting a Libertarian on the ticket is simply yawn inducing.

3. marbro

marbro New Member

Most Paul supporters I meet are all about the movement and would abandon Paul if he supported Mitt. The movemnt isn't about Paul it's about liberty from a out of control government.

That said a Romney/Paul ticket would destroy Obama. Enough would be happy with that combo.

I just don't think Paul would alienate such a large portion of his base this late in his life. He is not out for power like the rest. He is running to save this country. One final patriotic thing he will do for this country before he dies.

4. Libhater

Libhater Well-Known Member

I like a lot of Paul's fiscal thoughts and solutions, but wouldn't Paul and Romney clash over military or foreign affairs policies? For instance, Romney says he wants to allocate money to strengthening our military hardware and our missions, while Paul talks about either significantly downsizing or eliminating our military hardware and or pulling out all of our troops out of the many foreign venues throughout the world. No, I would stick with a Rubio, Ryan or a Christie for the veep spot.

5. submarinepainter

submarinepainter Well-Known Member Past Donor

I agree it wouldn't help Mitt one bit , I support Paul and most I know would snicker at this ticket

6. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

Obviously they will. I'm a libertarian, and I support a Romney/Paul ticket.

7. Big George

Big George Banned

It won't be Romney and RON Paul. Maybe Romney and RAND Paul.

But here's the problem... The Ron Paul Zealots would rather see 4 more years of Obama, than vote for Romney. So that's what's going to happen.

8. kenrichaed

kenrichaed Banned

A couple problems with Paul being VP to Romney. First off is the fact that the main reason any VP is chosen is for what they can bring to the ticket to win election.

Whether it be a certain State or particular group of people. Ron Paul has a large group of followers however most of these would be voting for the republican ticket anyways simply to get rid of Obama. Can Paul put Texas in the win column for Romney? Well Texas will probably vote for Romney no matter who his VP is so this isn't any benefit for Paul.

Secondly, Paul will effectively be silenced from speaking his beliefs if he is VP. He will have to support and go along with Romney's policies and everyone knows how good Paul is at doing that. This will create a divide in the White House I think when Paul speaks out about any reservations he has with Romney.

Also Paul has said that he is just as interested in convincing people of his "platform" as he is about winning the Presidency so by becoming a VP he would no longer to stump and give speeches about the direction he think America should be going in and keeping his core group of supporters motivated for the next election.

I think a Romney/Gingrich ticket would be very powerful since Romney knows a thing or two about finance and Gingrich knows how to navigate Washington very well. But here again you have the fact that Gingrich can contribute nothing to the ticket to help them win the election.

Romney would need a well liked Senator or Governor to help him beat Obama. This will be a tough enough race as it is so he needs every little advantage he can get.

9. stekim

stekim New Member

Some might. Most won't. Because it won't be a Libertarian administration. It will just be a continuation of the Nanny/Police State.

10. stekim

stekim New Member

Well, four more years of Obama is not much different than 4 years of Romney. There is very little difference between the two.

11. CoolWalker

CoolWalker New Member

While I usually agree with you, this time I halfway agree. Taking your first observation of Gingrich, you are "dead-on-balls-accurate" (to quote My Cousin Vinny). I say couple Romney with Gingrich (who will bring out the sparks we want and need to see) and you would have a better choice. far too many fence-sitters see Paul as a quart low; my wife and her friends for example. Gingrich however they love to watch because while they don't like him personally, they love how he cuts to the chase. He would need to get a personal trainer right away and start dropping a few pounds and get a better tailor, but he and Romney could pull this off.

12. azzig

azzig New Member

that such a creepy idea it just might have some momentum.....until all the secret mormon pseudo masonic rituals come out......like Nancy said.... Mitt will NEVER be PREZ.

13. Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous Well-Known Member

It is very true that Obama would be absolutely obliterated by a Romney/Paul ticket. I could never support such a ticket however because I think Romney would make this country worse off in 2016 than it is now in 2012. I would lose a massive amount of respect for Ron Paul for compromising his viewpoints in favor of higher power.

It's not going to happen.

14. Ex-lib

Ex-lib Well-Known Member Past Donor

Fully disagree with you. I think Paul supporters would vote. And I certainly don't think they'd vote for Presentdebt Obama.

15. Ex-lib

Ex-lib Well-Known Member Past Donor

Are you kidding me?

You'd rather have Obama than Romney? I'm shakin' my head...

Trinnity and (deleted member) like this.
  16. CoolWalker

CoolWalker New Member

What is with all the Morman crap. What has religion have to do with his abilities? Nothing, that's what.

17. kenrichaed

kenrichaed Banned

Americans like fat Presidents. They usually win when they are running.

18. stekim

stekim New Member

They would vote for the Libertarian. And that ain't Romney. If they vote for Romney you could argue they are not Libertarians.

19. azzig

azzig New Member

MORMON CRAP - the mormon church is very scary and powerful. i am sorry one of my best friends for life is mormon but her religion is creepy. ask me about how she had my mother babtized after her death. really really pissed me off.... so don't start MORMON crap with me. OK?????

20. marbro

marbro New Member

I don’t see any proof anywhere Paul supporters will vote the republican ticket anyways as you claim. that is one definite difference between the neo-cons and the libertarian wings of the republican ticket.

If you ever go to Paul rallies, one thing is very clear, they hate the Neo-con establishment republicans as much as they hate Obama.

The reason, Mitt, Newt, Santorum, Obama are all the same when it comes to the core beliefs.

Adhere to the constitution
    Limit government
    Reduce spending and taxes
    Protect liberties
    Protect life

All 4 do not follow this in action only in rhetoric
    It really is wishful thinking that Ron Paul supporters will jump on a Mitt Romney ticket. Mitt Romney is a perfect example of why these folks are so upset at the republican party.

21. kenrichaed

kenrichaed Banned

There is no clear indication they will vote for Obama either. You don't pick VP's on hunches and guesses so this in a way verify's my point of why Paul would be a bad pick.

Who knows what he will bring to a ticket.

22. marbro

marbro New Member

That is true, and a big misconception of the republican base. They feel if you dont vote for a republican your voting for Obama.

That is not the case at all. It just means your not voting for a republican or democrat. The losing party will always blame the third party vote. Sounds like the republicans feel they already lost. They are the only ones complaining about it. If Ron Pauls supporters are treated as crazy liberals why does any republican really expect their support If Ron Paul is out of the picture???

I imagine some will vote for Obama and some will vote for the establishment republican whomever that will be if Ron Paul loses. But most will vote for neither.

23. kenrichaed

kenrichaed Banned

I've never bought into the "wasted vote" theory either, unless you don't vote for anybody.

24. CoolWalker

CoolWalker New Member

It is creepy to let religion enter into your decision about his abilities. Lord, Obama had no abilities other than that of an organizer and no one cared about his (beyond weird) church and minister...he was given a free ride to get OJT in The White House.

25. MnBillyBoy

MnBillyBoy New Member

Well there goes RUBIO as VP,,

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...t-rubio-active-in-mormon-church-as-adolescent

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, a rising Republican star frequently mentioned as the party's likely choice for the vice presidential nominee, was baptized into the Mormon Church as a child and was active in the faith for a number of years during his youth.

Rubio was baptized into the church while his family was living in Las Vegas, around the time that he was 8 years old, according to his Senate office. He was active in the Mormon Church for around 3 years.