Virginia Ultrasound Bill Passes In House

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Agent_286, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jebediah

Jebediah Banned

Err... that's a link to the US Government website that spells it all out.

2. Ethereal

Ethereal Well-Known Member

When it comes to competing rights, I generally don't either. That's why I think it's best left up to the states. The issue is almost insoluble.

3. Anikdote

Anikdote Well-Known Member

Not at all... I'm really not sure if it's hypocrisy or some other, much more worrying psychological disorder.

Perhaps the cognitive dissonance is too much to stand.

4. Anikdote

Anikdote Well-Known Member

I'm okay with state rights, if anything else it allows for a social experiment.

People who seriously disagree are free to move elsewhere. This particular topic I'm not fond of because it seems arbitrary and punitive without due cause.

5. Montoya

Montoya Banned

Yeah like the private sector is any better lol.

6. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

The wienies changed it under pressure. The legal definition of rape is "nonconsensual penetration of the vagina" - in this case with a "foreign object" and their bill was going to make them wide open to be charged.

Only 31% of Virginians support this bill with 61% against it.

7. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

Yes - I'm sure a little 10-12-yr-old victim of rape or incest would really benefit from being legally mandated to go into a doctor's office and be raped all over again with a big foreign object stuck into her vagina so she can be shown a clump of cells on a monitor. I think she already understands that part of it. And with any luck, they'll treat her to some religious nutter counseling while they have her incapacitated. "See that little spot right there that looks like a pea? That's the baby you want to murder".

As I said earlier, only 31% of Virginians support this travesty of a cruel and unnecessary law - but of course, that's never stopped the nutters before, has it?

8. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member Past Donor

I think you're confusing two different people here.

9. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

Because a healthcare mandate doesn't require the nonconsensual penetration of your body with a foreign object. It just says it will pay when you go to the doctor of your own free will.

Requiring an ultrasound before an abortion has absolutely NOTHING to do with healthcare. What are they going to find out about a fetus that will make any difference at that point? It has SOLELY to do with legislating control over a woman's body.

And IMPO, they have just made the most egregious political mistake since Bush ordered the invasion of Iraq.

10. Rapunzel

I thought you lefty's loved government interventions and mandates. Now you want to pick and choose which ones you agree with and if you don't agree they should be dropped...LOL...welcome to government intervention you don't agree with.

And take it up with PP too.

11. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

I live in Virginia as do my daughters and granddaughters. Their lives could be profoundly impacted at some point by this sick attempt of numbnutz RWer religious nutters to control their lives and bodies.

It would be much, much simpler if the Republican legislators and the 31% of people who support this insanity to leave. The rest of us will be thrilled to see them go.

Left-wingers would NEVER support something like this and from the looks of the polls, a lot of VA rightwingers don't, either.

12. Rapunzel

You can vote with your feet if they vote it in.

13. My Fing ID

My Fing ID Well-Known Member Past Donor

This has nothing to do with what I said.
    Maybe they don't. How is forcing them to see the image of the fetus they are aborting going to help anything? I fail to see how trying to make an emotionally trying time even more difficult is anything other than evil. It certainly does not do a better job of explaining the implications of the procedure. That can be done by counseling the patient before they go through with it. There is no reason to show people the image of a fetus other than to guilt them into not getting an abortion. It's wrong and not the place of the government to do so. That people would even suggest such a law is sick and I hope every one of the people who supported this garbage is removed for the betterment of the state of Virginia and humanity as a whole. Such evil should not exist in our government.

Yes, then they could either be single mothers or still with guys who do not make enough to support them and a child. Like I said, none of them are disappointed in the decision they made, but it's not an easy decision and it stays with you. It doesn't need to be made even more difficult.

14. Rapunzel

Lefty is against any counseling as well. They're against anything that may sway a woman against having an abortion.

That's what you get when someone who is not a doctor is in charge of your medical care....You know like Ubamacare.

15. My Fing ID

Why? Why should anyone have to put up with such evil bull(*)(*)(*)(*)? Why the hell should someone feel they have to move because a bunch of jackoffs who are in charge because they won a popularity contest decided they want to make having an abortion an even more emotionally traumatizing experience? Where the hell do they have the right to force others into traumatizing people because they wish to have a medical procedure performed. Evil, evil people. They all need to be removed from office.

16. My Fing ID

Why shouldn't they be? No one should tell a woman not to get an abortion. By counseling I meant the doctor sits there and tells them they may end up having a hard time and that's it. Then again I"m sure the right would take that and run with it, turning a simple informative counseling into an anti-abortion tirade. What's next, the woman has to watch the procedure live on a monitor with the doctor asking if she wants them to stop every step of the way?

17. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

THEY CAN'T BE FORCED TO LOOK AT IT! So what's the point? What business is it of religious nutters whether somebody decides to have "a serious operation"? Should we also make laws requiring unnecessary invasive procedures before a man can get a vasectomy or a penile implant?

What I think they're trying to do is get the female incapacitated on a table where she can't get away from them while they do some "counseling" about her soul and what's going to happen to her if she has an abortion.

18. Rapunzel

Because that's the law you're subject to in that state if it passes. Just like Ubamacare is for the whole country. We will have bureaucrats deciding what healthcare we get and don't get.

19. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

You're absolutely right.

20. Rapunzel

Right on cue.

21. Rapunzel

Well, if I was 80 years old and needed a transplant or surgery and Ubamacare turned me down...It would cause me mental anguish, so what's your point? lots of medical procedures cause mental anguish.

22. Bluesguy

Bluesguy Well-Known Member Donor

The Virginia law does not required trans-vaginal ultrasound and Virginia Planned Parenthood already requires them.

Here from Commentary Magazine

"The backlash against the new Virginia legislation requiring ultrasounds before an abortion procedure – which some have bizarrely compared to “forcible rape” – may be even more overblown than initially thought. Apparently, ultrasounds are already part of the abortion procedures at Virginia Planned Parenthoods.

The Virginia League for Planned Parenthood didn’t immediately return calls yesterday. But here’s what it said on the recording for its abortion services information hotline:

“Patients who have a surgical abortion generally come in for two appointments. At the first visit we do a health assessment, perform all the necessary lab work, and do an ultrasound. This visit generally takes about an hour. At the second visit, the procedure takes place. This visit takes about an hour as well. For out of town patients for whom it would be difficult to make two trips to our office, we’re able to schedule both the initial appointment and the procedure on the same day.

Medical abortions generally require three visits. At the first visit, we do a health assessment, perform all the necessary lab work, and do an ultrasound. This visit takes about an hour. At the second visit, the physician gives the first pill and directions for taking two more pills at home. The third visit is required during which you will have an exam and another ultrasound.”"
    Ultrasounds Already Part of VA Planned Parenthood Abortion Procedure « Commentary Magazine

And

"Pro-choice groups have been pushing back against a Virginia bill that would require women to undergo ultrasounds before an abortion procedure. The complaints are the ultrasounds are needlessly invasive, not medically necessary, and would be forced on women seeking abortions, even if they don’t want them.

This criticism misses one crucial point: Planned Parenthood policy already requires ultrasounds before abortion procedures.

“That’s just the medical standard,” said Adrienne Schreiber, an official at Planned Parenthood’s Washington, D.C., regional office. “To confirm the gestational age of the pregnancy, before any procedure is done, you do an ultrasound.”"
    http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2012/02/22/planned-parenthood-abortions-ultrasounds/

23. My Fing ID

You do now, it's called an insurance company.

24. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

So what is she going to be apprised of after the ultrasound if she doesn't look at it? Exactly what I said - she's going to get some religious nutter counseling to apprise her of what they believe will be the implications for her physical and emotional well-being and question her to make sure she isn't having the abortion for what pro-lifers term "trite and shallow reasons".

IT'S NONE OF YOUR FORKEN BUSINESS WHY SOMEBODY DECIDES TO HAVE AN ABORTION. Why don't you all just stick to harassing each other and leave the rest of us alone? Any woman who's at the point of having an abortion has all the problems she can handle and doesn't need you to add to them.

25. My Fing ID

I'm sure you'd have the same problem if your insurance company denied you the transplant or surgery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.