America Has The Richest Poor In The World

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by red states rule, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Johnny-C

Johnny-C Well-Known Member

We are self-destructing, because we've essentially revered greed over the well-being of people.

2. Johnny-C

Perfect question.

3. JohnnyMo

JohnnyMo Moderator Staff Member Donor

Prior to the two years you refer to Republicans controlled all branches of Govt for 8 years. Your point???

"Blinded by the Night"

4. Mushroom

Mushroom Well-Known Member

I fully believe that as well.

I remember when President Reagan proposed what was called "Workfare". And it would have been a vast improvement over what is done now.

Right now, if you are on welfare and go and get a job, you loose your benefits. So unless you can get a job that is equal to or more then your Welfare benefits, you are better off not working (or working at an illegal industry or under the table). I always thought that was wrong.

President Reagan proposed a system where the amount you made was deducted at a rate of $9 out of $10 from their welfare benefits. So you would make more from working, but still keep the benefits that were needed to survive. And the idea was that as you got more experience and promoted, the amount of welfare needed would decrease.

And he was crucified by the Democrats.

Back in the early 90's, my wife and I seperated for several years. During that time, she went on welfare while she was attending nursing school. Then once she graduated, they wanted their money back.

She still owes them several thousand dollars. When she went into find out why they were attaching her paycheck, it seems that the system claims they "overpaid" her. But if she quit working and became dependent on welfare again, they would waive any charges she owed.

In other words, quit work, and live off welfare again. Otherwise, you get punished.

And I saw that myself years later when I tried to put my kids on MediCal (A California state medical insurance program). The case worker tried to convince me to quit my job, showing us how we would bring home more money with Section 8, food stamps and welfare then I did working 40 hours a week as a computer engineer.

And she was serious. And she thought I was crazy when I looked at her with disgust, saying I would perfer to make less and work for a living then to live off of welfare.

5. Subdermal

Subdermal Banned

That statement doesn't make sense anywhere but in your head, where only you can hear it.

6. Mushroom

In most areas of the world, our "poor" would be considered "rich".

Overweight? Heated-air conditioned house/apartment? Electricity? Safe water? Automobile? Cable television?

In most of the world, the poor live in tin or cardboard shacks, eat maybe 2 times a day (garbage or food they caught themselves), and have chronic dysentary and parasites from how they live.

That is reality.

And you say to compare them to other "developed countries".

I say "Get off your lazy ass and get a job. Are you to freaking proud to work at McDonalds?"

That is the problem with this country. Most people seem totally unwilling to ever "start at the bottom", they all want to start a job at $40k a year with no experience at all.

Want to know something? This is reality here.

Even if everybody was given $1 million a year, you would still have poor. Because a lot of people are simply unable to make the right decisions, and would blow the money. Look at the number of people who declare bankruptcy within a few years of winning the lottery.

7. Subdermal

Subdermal Banned

Why wouldn't this apply to everyone?

Government should take no side. Your desire to 'help' the poor merely by allowing the Government to confiscate from the very wealthy that you simultaneously claim it is 'helping' is merely propagating continuation of the problem, which is the reach and scope of Government itself.

8. red states rule

red states rule New Member Past Donor

Are you overlooking the data does come from the US Census Bureau? Are you saying the numbers are not correct on the comfort level of the "poor" in America?

9. red states rule

Bill Clinton was dragged kicking and screaming on Wefare Reform as well. I rememebr the libs saying on TV people would die in the streets

What realy happened was these people GOT JOBS

Much to the dismay of the libs, noone died in the streets due to being removed from the welfare rolls

Of course when Dems took over they killed off those rules and once again we now have a record number of people on Food Stamps or some kind of government assistance

Now those caring libs can go to bed knowing they have expanded the cycle of dependecny for MILLIONS of Americans while working people foot the ever growing bill

10. ModerateG

ModerateG New Member

You're comparing the past to the present. Yes, we have more high def TVs and stuff but that's completely irrelevant. It's all about cost of living and what you can do with your money. Had they had this technology back then they'd use it too. :roll:

11. red states rule

So are the poor in your book as miserable as the libs claim they are? From what I have seen the poor have ot pretty darn good thanks to the generosity of liberals with other peoples money

12. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

No, we don't. The problem is you think simple minded factory laborers should be entitled to a middle class lifestyle and I'm trying to tell you that the invisible hand that controls the globalized market place has made it impossible. There is simply too much labor available and its an employers market.

You cannot just change the Law of Supply and Demand when it comes to Labor just becuase you do not like the social consequences of that law.

Globalization means the uneducated are going to lose and will not be able to achieve a middle class lifestyle as easily as earlier generations did. "Average is Over". Simple fact that you, your "progressive" economics and bleeding heart cannot change.

13. red states rule

I bet Bernie Sanders is John's favorite Senator

14. red states rule

and meanwhile the left continues to demand the "rich" pay their fair share

When is eneough enough for these people?

15. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

Well according to some of the posters on here. No one who makes less than 75k a year should have to pay any income taxes at all.

16. red states rule

Which is nothing anyway since the bottom 50% of taxpayers pay a measly 3% of all Federal income taxes collected

17. Johnny-C

We should and they should. The problem is that people like you have drank for the massive VAT of intoxicating beverage, which doesn't even allow you to THINK outside of the 'economic' box your mind has stepped into.

Things CAN and SHOULD change. And the people living here in America, should exert as much influence politically and legally as they could ever muster.

18. red states rule

We will in November when we fire Obama and as many Dems as possible and take back the WH and Senate

Hope you are around to enjoy the change

19. Johnny-C

In any case, money the major component of what ails America. More specifically, how it is used corrupts many... and most here will not escape its effects.

20. red states rule

Hey, if you do not want your money then donate to chairty or stand on the corner and hand it out

But please taking more and more of mine that I earn by going to work everyday

21. Johnny-C

If you could actually make that call, you'd likely be doing something else this morning.

Even so: Why do you think Obama will lose?

I've seen a LOT of change in my lifetime, not all of it in my favor or to my liking. So be it.

22. red states rule

Why will Obama lose?

Go fill up at the gas station or go shopping in your grocery store.

I did both this morning an it was amazing

Also try millions have given up looking for work, and millions more are underemployed

Yes the change has happened

4th deficit in a row over $1 trillion and a credit downgrade

Are you enjoying all that hope and change John?

23. Mushroom

That might sound nice, until you realize I saw this in 2006-2007. Back when the normal price of such an item was still in the $2,500-3,000 range.

If somebody can afford to throw that much money into a TV, they have no reason to be living on Government asisstance. And the same goes for $750 rims, $1,200 stereo systems, and many other things I have seen over the years.

24. Johnny-C

At least, I know your opinion now.

No, it's not "John" (it's you being reported).

And yes, I have seen changes (good ones) which I attribute to the President. Even so, I suppose we'll both make our views known at the polls, in Nov. 2012 (and beyond).

25. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

From what you've seen. Got any pics, links, anything to show poor have it good? Some yes, many no.