There is no evidence for the existence or non-existence of God...

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Daggdag, Jan 7, 2012.

1. dcaddy

dcaddy New Member

I'm actually ROLFing right now. I'll remember that one for future good use.

2. dcaddy

dcaddy New Member

Fail. If there is an unexplained phenomena, it's existence is clear and therefore may be worthy of inquiry.

Of which unexplained phenomena are you referring to?

3. dcaddy

dcaddy New Member

This guy is great! Common sense and basic science.

If it were some common and basic we wouldn't be having this chat.

4. Incorporeal

Incorporeal Well-Known Member

When did you graduate from the prenatal process?

5. prospect

prospect New Member

Sure.. although this doesn't fail what I said.

Medical miracles, Ghosts, Déjà vu,stigmata ...etc.... Stuff that hasn't been explained beyond an hypothesis.

6. revol

revol New Member

There is no evidence, no proof, no truth beyond what we might claim.....

The reality to life is that the only thing we are truly able to prove is ourselves.......
    For me, it is a focal brilliance that I am unable to deny....

I began thinking about an infinite universe. I found an utter profound brilliance within it in thought.
    If we were contained within a box, we would remain focused upon that point of containment.
    Where did it come from? Why is it here? What lies beyond it? What lies beyond that?
    We might even contemplate infinity, but the reality would always remain specifically on that point of containment.
    The mind is much the same, provide it with an absolute and it will never extend beyond it. It will in fact, go to great measure to hold everything within those walls of containment, believing everything beyond it is wrong.

For me and what the focal aspect of the universe and it's brilliance speaks too..... The potential of expression within the mind is infinite, to provide it with a single aspect of absolutism would severely hinder that expression. To set a mind truly free within it's own desire, and to nurture every aspect of it's expression; it would expand in an unfathomable beauty that emanates from it's very core.
    Put every mind together in the same expression of freedom and beauty, knowledge begins to develop exponentially at a rate that our minds within this existence we adhere too, could not even begin to comprehend.

I wonder what the world would look like if more minds sought to prove themselves?

7. revol

revol New Member

The reality is that nobody has proven themselves in any aspect of time, belief or declared path within humanity.
    If it had, it would have manifested itself and blossomed into a tangible example within a critical mass that no mind could deny...... It has not!
    Imagine something so profoundly brilliant that no mind could witness it without seeing an unequivocal freedom with the inarguable desire to become a part of it. Yet it remains exterior and completely separate from asking that a mind must accept a certain way of thinking (point of containment). The attributes of it's offering become the choice of the individual but not the precursor.......
    When we direct a mind to witness it's own brilliance, it becomes impossible for it to look away!

8. Daggdag

Daggdag Well-Known Member

Nothing needs to be resolved.....Believe what you want to beleive and leave everyone else out of it. It's that simple.

9. Incorporeal

Good advice Daggdag.... more folk should think like you in that regard.

10. FreeWare

FreeWare Active Member Past Donor

I agree, except for stupid, deceptive, hateful and other potentially harmful claims derived from the claim that needn't be resolved.

11. polscie

polscie New Member

the claim of god needs to be resolved.
    ignorance of this magnitude has to be resolved.

your resolve of nothing needs to be resolved is one thing that needs to be resolved.

polscie.

12. kowalskil

kowalskil New Member

How to "resolve" ignorance? Not by killings again, I hope.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)

13. YukonBloamie

YukonBloamie Banned

I disagree. Religion is more than just 'faith', it is also a fundamental set of traditions and practices many of which are harmful and immoral.

Studies in Neuroscience and Psychology have come along way towards explaining how the human mind works and how it drives human behavior. There's still so much more to learn, and it's not very far away.

The belief in God without evidence is what I would call imagination. And imagination is part of the physical human mind so it is by no means outside the realm of science. Living braincells are difficult to study, for obvious reasons, it is by no means impossible.

Can't disagree with that. :)

If the existence of God relies 'completely' on what each person believes then you can simply believe God out of existence, no evidence is necessary. But if there is indeed good evidence that God existed then you couldn't just believe it out of existence, but rather you would have to evaluate that evidence on it's own merit. But all religions have explicit language and instructions on how to handle that; words like heresy, apostasy, blasphemy, infidel, etc.

14. Incorporeal

You were doing good in expressing an opinion until you reached that point highlighted in red. At that point, you turned your opinion into a notice of uncertainty regarding the very opinion that you were expressing.

15. FreeWare

FreeWare Active Member Past Donor

IF you continue to equivocate by using conditional statements in a post to sow doubt about the poster's certainty of an issue THEN you will only have found yet another way to flaunt the transductive reasoning of a preoperational child.

PS. Please note that this is not an uncertainty but a conditional statement.

16. Incorporeal

Really.. the ole "if", "then", "else" ploy. How sweet. You forgot to include the "else' portion of the conditional statement.

As for the "transductive reasoning of a preoperational child"..... Wow, are you way off base. See here:
    https://www.msu.edu/~compeaua/piagettheory.html

Now aside from the unprovable context of what the theory suggests, there is also the problem of your claim being a 'theory'. Have you prepared yourself with sufficient data to prove the theory? If you have, then you can make a name for yourself, else you will need to keep on fishing for more information.

(Notice in the last sentence above, the correct usage and structure of the 'if', 'then', 'else' conditional statement.) Now what do you suppose will happen when your conditional statement is proven to be false? You have opted to presuppose the conditional statement to be 'true'.

17. YukonBloamie

YukonBloamie Banned

I was accepting the premise that I was responding to, and giving my example of why it was not a good premise.

Also, uncertainty should be the default position until all arguments are evaluated and understood.

18. Incorporeal

Then my apologies for what might have been received as a harsh comment on my part; however, I must also note that my comment was a mere observation regarding your choice of words. No harm intended from my side of the fence. Note also, that along with the evaluation which you speak about, there should (idealistically speaking) also be resolution in regard to the arguments.

We are not at odds on what you initially stated.

19. fishmatter

fishmatter New Member

What do you mean by "evidence doesn't have to be logical"? Are you talking about the nature of the evidence or the reasoning used to interpret it?

20. fishmatter

fishmatter New Member

Can you give an example of an unexplained, illogical phenomena?

21. fishmatter

fishmatter New Member

Stuff that hasn't been demonstrated to have actually happened. Are there any phenomena which we can say definitively are real, unexplained, and illogical?

22. Anobsitar

Anobsitar Banned

I

http://youtu.be/igDsu5QWhpo

23. fishmatter

fishmatter New Member

24. Oryonder

Oryonder Banned

We can argue all day long over whether or not God exists but if we were to arrive at a conclusion then what ?

Even if we show that God exists .. is there just one or many ? Is this the God of Abraham, a Hindoo God, an Egyptian God, Sumerian God.

OK .. so there might be a God or three out there ....great ! Now move on with your life because no one has any clue about the nature of these Gods, what they think and what there intent is.

This is no different than believing in Aliens. Perhaps they are out there but what difference does it make until they show up.

Perhaps the Gods are Aliens ?

25. fishmatter

fishmatter New Member

We were enjoying the conversation. You don't have to reply if you're not interested, you know?