Execution Tonight in Mississippi

Discussion in 'Human Rights' started by SpotsCat, Feb 8, 2012.

1. SpotsCat

SpotsCat New Member Past Donor

From Reuters --

[​IMG]

Edwin Turner was reported to have been suffering from bipolar disorder and was taking Prozac at the time of the murders. Although he may have had a screw or two loose, the fact remains that he was sane enough to know what he was doing was wrong - hence tonight's execution.

2. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

If he was mentally ill, I don't think he could be held accountable for his actions. The mentally ill should never be executed.

3. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

Generally I am only in favor of executing the very worst criminals, where there is no doubt that they deserve a punishment ten times worse.

But I do not have much of a problem when an adult that has purposefully killed two or more people is given the death penalty.

4. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

I would not only say that they should be executed, but also that the very severely mentally retarded should be euthenized !

They just cost too much on society.

5. cm75

cm75 New Member

He was sane enough to kill two people,he's sane enough to die for it.Don't know why this is even a question.

6. Cigar

Cigar Well-Known Member Past Donor

Personally I think you need to be mentally ill to Murder someone.

7. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

[​IMG]

Likely that man would have been less disgruntled if he had had access to a good cosmetic dental surgeon...

8. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

According to the "experts" most of us are "mentally ill". If I have a sexual fetish involving high-heeled shoes would that disqualify me if I killed during an armed robbery?

And, what a defsnse attorney says is meaningless. They're paid to lie. They're never put under oath and held accountable like normal people. As for experts, they're the only ones allowed to testify, and not be held accountable, for loony opinions.

Rational enough to plan a robbery. Rational enough to kill. Rational enough to pay the bill in full.

9. SigTurner

SigTurner New Member

The whole point of the DP is (or at least should be) to protect society from such violence.

Use of the DP should be weighed upon the need to protect society from the offender versus the offender's potential for rehabilitation Thus, not all murderers should be automatic candidates for the DP as many can be successfully rehabilitated.

On the other hand, those who cannot be rehabilitated, such as the criminally insane, should certainly be executed. If they kill someone, such an inmate or C.O., while serving out a life sentence, the blood is on our hands.

10. Beevee

Beevee Well-Known Member Past Donor

No shortage of lethal drugs in that state then?

Did the curtains open without incident?

Were the tickets free or did they come at a premium?

11. SigTurner

SigTurner New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XREnvJRkif0"]Charles Manson's Epic Question - YouTube[/ame]

12. Beevee

Beevee Well-Known Member Past Donor

13. Bow To The Robots

Bow To The Robots Banned at Members Request

Tell that to their victims.

14. PatrickT

Fighting against execution is so yesterday. Now the King can order the killing of American citizens with no trial, no judicial review, no defense, no appeal, and no news coverage. And people get their knickers in a twist about a vicious murdered who does have a trial a multitude of taxpayer financed appeals and a plethora of news coverage.

Kind of pointless, isn't it?

15. cm75

cm75 New Member

Thank you! EXACTLY!

16. PatrickT

One last thought. I consider it a liberal-approve post-natal abortion.

17. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

lol :p

I always find it funny how they are so concerned about the lives of serial killers, who obviously deserve it, but do not even blink twice when it comes to the life of an unborn little baby. :rolleyes:

18. SpotsCat

SpotsCat New Member Past Donor

I've always found that to be a strange dichotomy of life. It generally seems that people who are opposed to capital punishment are also "pro-choice", while those who are in favor of capital punishment are usually "pro-life".

For the record - I'm "pro-death". I believe in abortion, capital punishment, physician-assisted suicide, stem-cell research, and anything else that will get the morning rush-hour traffic moving faster! :D

On a slightly more serious note --

Larry Matthew Puckett was executed March 20th, 2012 for the 1995 murder and sexual assault of Rhonda Griffis of Sunrise, MS. Puckett, a former Eagle Scout, beat Griffis to death with a club.

William Gerald Mitchell was executed March 22nd, 2012 for the November 21, 1995 murder of Patty Milliken, 38. Mitchell was on parole from a life sentence for a 1975 murder.

ryanm34 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. holier than thou

holier than thou New Member

I don't know anything about this case, but if public executions were legal that would be cool. It would be a nice show to see...

20. PatrickT

Unfortunately, Makedde, according to psychologists and defense attorneys, everyone is mentally ill. Please not in the article it said, "Defense attorneys claimed..." or some such. They always do. The really serious defense is, my client is an idiot. Most of them are.

I asked a man why he executed a convenience store clerk and he looked confused and said, "Why not?" I'm sure his attorney could have hired 150 psychologists and psychiatrists to say he was crazy, or sane, depending on what the attorney wanted, but I don't care. That man needed killing. I would worry about the less harmful people in prison with that man.

Me. I'll take a few minutes and think about Eddie Brooks and Everett Curry and wish it hadn't taken sixteen years to execute the murderers.

21. Nanninga

Nanninga Member

Why, most murderers had an abusive childhood, suffer from some kind of mental illness and/or had a bitter life. Does not change anything, you must protect the society from them. As simple as that.

I don't know what I would have become under these circumstances and I don't make any conclusions if he is an evil person. It's en egoistic act, I don't want myself or my loved ones to be killed by someone like that.

22. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

As you are concerned about the rights of white people but not non-whites...

23. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

I used to think that. I'm starting to reconsider. I wonder how many people are murdered across the world in one day? I wonder how many people commit murder. It seems to be fairly prevalent. How can all of the murderers be mentally ill?

There again, there is a saying along these lines "The whole world is mad except you and me and I'm not sure about you."

24. BC Bud

BC Bud New Member

Are you Hitler's nephew?

25. PatrickT

We had a case where a woman killed her husband for the insurance. Quite calculated, well planned, and, she won, she got two years probabtion because she was a woman murdering her husband. If she'd been a husband murde4ring his wife for insurance he would have been toast.