PF error messages and problems

Discussion in 'Announcements & Community Discussions' started by Leffe, Apr 11, 2012.

1. dixon76710

dixon76710 Well-Known Member

Well, weve gone from a 4 day lag to a one day. Still missing the only post I usually search for. My most recent posts

2. dixon76710

"view my forum posts"???? Can somebody point to where that feature is?

3. ThirdTerm

ThirdTerm Well-Known Member

By clicking on 'Settings' next to 'Log Out', you can view a list of your subscribed threads with new posts. Subscribed threads are threads you have posted to recently.

4. Shangrila

Shangrila staff Past Donor

5. RevAnarchist

RevAnarchist New Member Past Donor

Neither does the 'profile pic' the 'avatar upload' or others that I am too tired of mentioning. And it took quite a while to get from edit to here with this post. Really despite the best efforts of the hard working Mods, and I do emphasize with them, this place is still quite a mess. I am looking for an alternate default site to post at since the new thread creation is still disabled on PF4 despite this forum being a ghost of its former self.

reva

6. RevAnarchist

Still can not upload profile pic or avatar from anywhere ie my hard drive or host sites. the other functions that I use (none frequently) seem to be working ok such as the search.

When I try to upload avatar from my computer I get the V bulletin message; vBulletin Message

Unable to save image

then when I try from a host I get I can not navigate away from the 'upload from computer'. When I try to cut or backspace the 'my picture' window opens, probably because of the problem. Any attempt to cut the address to my hard drive results in the 'my picture' window opening (from the hard drive to my computer). I can not get rid of the 'upload from my computer' dialog unless I log off then back on, THEN I can try to upload from host. However when I try to upload from host (I have tried two different hosts) even then I get messages that range from 'host file too large' (even though I re-sized it many times), or 'invalid URL' even though the URL worked before this mess began. I have gotten other strange messages as well. I still think you have a hacker either on your staff right now or one that has access to your data base. I am really, really tired of this entire thing having donated to help this site and bent over backwards to ID the problem with no results to show but more of the same.

reva

ps I do have a message about the HTML code is off (I think) however I could not find where to enable or disable it to try changing that. Its something with the code because the computer loads a pic in say e mail instead of the code for the pic. Then when I try to edit the pic it has the actual pic instead of the code. Maybe this is the HTML code not being enabled? And why was those settings changed? I didn't do it.

7. Shangrila

Ok, I'll get right on it.
    Rev, as for the HTML, I'll see if admin can change that for you.

8. Pollycy

Pollycy Well-Known Member

Latest posts are still not being updated, as of 29 April 12. And at least one thread I tried to respond to started by someone else just disappeared without a trace. I guess we'll have to find the "macro-subscribe-to-everything" if we expect to be able to find anything, going forward.

9. Leo2

Leo2 Well-Known Member

I can't use the advanced function when replying to a post, and I can't edit anything, including typos, while composing a post (I can post it and then use the edit function). I haven't dared try any of the other functions so far.

I am sorry to sound ungracious or overly negative, but while the old format was slow, at least it worked. This one appears to - shall we say - have issues. :)

10. Shangrila

Seems to work for me, Leo, but I'll make a note.
    Very strange indeed.
    Sorry

11. Leo2

Leo2 Well-Known Member

I tried it again with this post, quoting the post to which I am responding. When I click on 'Go Advanced', I am taken to the customary window, but anything I type appears before the quoted post, not after. I cannot get the flashing cursor line to show anywhere, and I can neither copy, cut, nor paste. I am using Firefox, and have not tried it in IE (which I hate).

But no apologies are necessary - you are giving your time gratis and for my benefit, so any complaint would be churlish. I am merely letting you know of the difficulties I am experiencing so that you can, if possible, address them.

Cheers for your time.
    Leo

12. Awryly

Awryly New Member Past Donor

This site grows more absurd by the day.

Cabbages grow faster.

Kangaroos leap about less.

Frigid wives are more accessible.

13. dixon76710

Well, now January 24th is the most recent post an advanced search of my posts can find. Going in the wrong direction.

14. Pollycy

It is April 30th. The last of my posts that the search engine finds is from April 26. Since then, I've probably written at least a dozen posts. Where are they? Why doesn't the search "aggregator" in the database keep track of our latest posts and threads?

15. Pollycy

It is May 1st. The last of my posts that the search engine finds is from April 26th. Is there someplace else we're supposed to go to find our posts and threads besides within our own "identity" and then bring up "find latest posts" and "find latest threads"? I don't understand this at all....

Also, I noticed that simply trying to post this message brought on some weird kind of "disconnect" where the post was halted and a message was displayed asking, "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" A second attempt finally allowed a posting, but only after another long delay. Does anybody know what is going on with this Forum? I don't know of another forum of any kind that behaves like this one does.

16. Pollycy

For the time being it looks like the only work-around that comes close to working is to subscribe to everything you post in and access your posts through your control panel, or email. It's a half-assed procedure at best, but if our posts can't be kept current for whatever reason (?) then at least it is better than having to resort to "word searches"....

17. robot

robot Active Member

Changing the subject slightly I subscribe to two sub forums and ask for a daily e-mail of all new threads in those sub forums. I have not been getting those e-mails for several days.

18. RevAnarchist

[​IMG]

reva's temp avatar

Shangrila, thanks for being so helpful, you are a great mod. I am amazed at the how much the Mods give of themselves. I highly respect all of you guys for sacrificing your time and talents to help the rest of us....

reva

19. Shangrila

Please know that we are still trying to resolve this issue.

20. dixon76710

Word searches also only pull up results older than 4/26, currently.

21. Shangrila

Sorry.........

22. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

There's a lot that doesn't work and it's not little stuff.

Permalinks
    "recent threads" on a member's profile page
    "recent posts" on a member's profile page
    Search
    Advanced search

And despite reporting these things, and begging and pleading for the site to be fixed, nothing improves. The site is being neglected and people are leaving. Traffic and participation are down.

23. Pollycy

The "vbulletin message" or whatever it's called at the top of the Forum splash-page says that Search is fixed, but when you try to search for your own posts, you get this:

connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused)

Is anybody going to fix this inability for us to bring up a list of our own posts and threads? We never had this problem in the old Forum format. I'm not talking about posts from the last "3 or 5 minutes"... I'm talking about an inability to search up our posts from five DAYS ago, or more....

24. Shangrila

Will you try again, please?
    Let me know, thanks

25. dixon76710

Search seems to now be working.
    Odd, click on the "Iran did not threaten...." thread I get "The Political Forum database has encountered a problem" every time. ANY other thread works fine.