why Mormans are not Christian

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Doc Dred, Feb 25, 2012.

1. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst Banned

It's irrelevant if Jesus is alive or not....he's alive. But he told us to take his message to all the ends of the Earth. He said it's finished until he comes back, in the mean time we evangelize. Adding another prophet just confuses things. It's unnecessary. I don't understand why people must be considered Christian if they aren't following Christ to a T. It's okay, you can be called something else. Catholics are Catholics. Mormons are mormons. Christians are people who just use the Bible nothing else. We're just arguing semantics here and it's pointless. I am not disrespecting their faith, but merely acknowledging it as different from my own. I still respect their views a thousand times more than self-righteous Atheists.

2. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

"why Mormans are not Christian"

when America counts the number of Christians in this country, Mormons are included in that count....

3. Neutral

Neutral New Member Past Donor

Well, that is not accurate. God said he created many worlds, not just this one. Jesus refers quite plainly to 'other flocks'. I find it very disconcerting that someone would claim that Jesus and his efforts end with the Bible. Its disheartening to see scripture clearly referring to the atonement being called the end, when we know that Jesus was resurrected and that the Apostles were just beginning their efforts at that point.

Again, the teachings of teh BoM are damb near identical to the NT. So what does it mean when Jesus is reported to have appeared in another area and teach the same thing. Its what he said he was going to do, right? OK. Whether he actually did or not? I don't really care. I respect the Mormon belief that he did, and I will certainly not reject that he would.

Most importantly, and on a more current level, what is to be gained by kicking Mormons out of the Christian tent? Is it an uplifting thing? Does it hearld the teachings and compassion of Jesus? Or does it support what is effectively a really petty and partisan pot shot?

How much easier and better is it to say, Christians generally believe these things, some veer this way and some that way, and those guys have what they think are additional sources. The truth of it? Well, for that you will have to go to God and find the one that best enables your relationship with Jesus. And indeed, I can attest personally, that as I have gone to God, I have found one of those denominations that best fits my growing and invaluable relationship with Jesus.

Attempting to kick someone out of the tent of Jesus, when they are seeking Jesus is, IMO, pointless. The disagreement serves nothing, and quite frankly, I am sure Moses and his followers endured the exact same confrontations when they first claimed that their law originated from a burning Bush - indeed, the Bible is filled with exactly these kinds of stories from the priests of Baal, etc. Indeed, when Mary claimed she was a virgin pregnant with the Messiah, the clergy damb near stoned her for it.

The lesson, IMO, is clear - beware what you kick out of your tent.

4. Injeun

Injeun Well-Known Member

I agree. The Savior in the BoM is the same Jesus whom the Jews crucified. He appeared to the people in the BoM shortly after his death and taught them the same things which he taught the Jews. There was no other Jesus or way to salvation according to the BoM . It is simply another testimony of the same gospel as taught in the Holy Bible.

5. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst Banned

Joseph Smith was a proven liar.

6. HeffDaddy78

HeffDaddy78 New Member

First of all, I'm not denying anyone. Second, you keep referring to them as christian denominations that don't believe in the Trinity. That is the very definition. it is talked about numerous times in the Bible.

Genesis 1:26 "Then God said let US make man in our image, in OUR likeness"

Matthew 28:18&19 And Jesus came and spoke unto them, saying All authority is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye, therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit,

This is an argument you can't win. It is backed up by Biblical proof.

7. Neutral

No, the Trinity is not the definition of Christianity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicene_Creed

The Nicene Creed is what you refer to. And the creed acknowledges all three parts of the Trinity - and the God head - but at no point does it say you MUST view these things are inseperabale.

Additionally, this is the definition of Christian:

Chris·tian (krschn)
    adj.
    1. Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
    2. Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus's teachings.
    3. Manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus; Christlike.
    4. Relating to or characteristic of Christianity or its adherents.
    5. Showing a loving concern for others; humane.
    n.
    1. One who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
    2. One who lives according to the teachings of Jesus.

Where is the Trinity in that? Its Jesus, the Christ, that matters to Christians.

None of what you list above indicates that Trinity is the sole entrant to Christianity - quite the opposite. Again, those that don't believe in the Trinity still believe in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost - what they agree and disagree on is whether these are part of the same whole or whether they are three distinct entities.

Its an arguement you cannot win, because its been going on for two millenia now. Most Christians have put such petty differences behind them.

Here is what Mormons believe on the ... what they term God head.

The Church's first article of faith states, "We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost." These three beings make up the Godhead. They preside over this world and all other creations of our Father in Heaven.

Do you find that offensive to Christianity?

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.j...toid=bbd508f54922d010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

8. Neutral

Yep, Joseph Smith was an imperfect man - not Jesus. Good thing Mormons don't claim him as Jesus do they?

9. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst Banned

Good thing I don't follow a proven liar. While Jesus very well may have been a liar, there is no proof. Had he been proven a liar, I would not (obviously) follow his teachings or believe anything he said.

10. Injeun

Injeun Well-Known Member

Huh? Would you mind elaborating on that statement.....the lie...the proof.

11. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst Banned

I don't have patience for proven liars.

You can lie to me, but once I discover it we're finished.

12. Neutral

Well, then you hate everyone who ever lived, has lived, or will live except Jesus Christ.

That is why we have something called the atonenment.

And there is context. Someone who is trying with all their might and falls short, but seeks continuously throughout his life to fix what he has done wrong and continuously strive to do what is right.

Then there are those who lie simply to manipulate or avoid consequences.

No one claims Jospeh Smith was a perfect man, but he was an earnest man. He was also a man.

13. Injeun

Injeun Well-Known Member

You make a bold statement (about another person) that you say is verified, but you won't provide the verification. So who's the liar now?

14. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst Banned

Oh you mean you weren't aware?

lol

15. Doc Dred

Doc Dred Banned

Joseph smith lied about the golden leaves...

it never happened..

this why he fled to the desert.

Mormonism might appear to be christian, but it is not Christianity .
    one can argue but in the end is based on a lie.

Jesus never came over here during his 3 day death period.

he would have informed his disciples..he wash't shy or afraid of controversy

16. Neutral

Interesting, none of that is claimed in the BoM.

17. Doc Dred

Doc Dred Banned

obviously you don't know.

and i don't care..

how many more posts are you going to troll .

mormons base their religion on several sic fi events.

when jesus died on the cross supposedly magically came to North America and taught the people here in three days.

the people stop doing what He taught and God turned their skin colour to look like Native americans.

thats the basis of the sic fiction..

this is why it is not a Christian religion.

18. Neutral

Yeah, I do know. I read the BoM. Just like readng the Koran allows me to know that Islamophobes are making crap up.

Read it, its not what you think. In fact, go visit a Mormon Church. I did, was invited by a freind, and ... whatever Mormonism is ... its definitely focused on Jesus Christ.

19. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst Banned

You keep mentioning this, as if you're making some kind of a point. Or perhaps you don't see it. It is a Christian cult and like most Christian cults they interject enough Christianity, enough Jesus, into it to confuse its followers and the people. In the end, this is what Christ warned about.

20. Injeun

Injeun Well-Known Member

So what then is the name of your Church and religion that you should presume to be the representative of the original Church established by Jesus Christ. And is it mentioned in the Bible, this church of yours. Or is it simply one of the countless cults which have sprung up over the centuries with its own interpretation of the gospel?

21. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst Banned

There are multiple ones. Whatever follows the bible and doesn't stray from it's teaching.

A good indicator is if they add or take anything away from it.

22. Doc Dred

Doc Dred Banned

you do realize if you read it, you would see what i wrote is true and your the only one denying it.

why is that huh?

you do this all day long ..for years

you decide that post is wrong, even if it's factual...so you can type something..

thats all your doing typing with no facts or anything..

it used to annoy myself and others and now it's like paint drying

23. Injeun

Injeun Well-Known Member

All the different churchs differ from one another. That'd be adding or taking away by virtue of the differences. If I weren't a Mormon I'd probably say the Christian(Eastern) Orthodox is the closest to true.

24. Doc Dred

Doc Dred Banned

so how do you feel about Jesus coming over here and teaching to people for those 3 days when he was dead...and why do you think it was never mentioned to anyone when he came back...

valid question ..

25. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst Banned

To the contrary, any church that claims it is the one true church is not.