People Who Refuse To Donate Their Organs Should Be Banned From Recieving One

Discussion in 'Other Off-Topic Chat' started by Makedde, Jun 20, 2011.

?

Should People Opposed To Organ Donation Be Banned From Recieving One?

Poll closed Sep 28, 2011.
  1. Yes

32.4%
  2. No

67.6%
  1. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

This came up on a Facebook page and I actually agreed with the person who said it.

If someone is opposed to organ donation, and is not a registered organ donor and has no intention of becoming one, why should they be permitted to accept an organ from a deceased donor?
    Is this an example of taking but giving nothing in return?
    And isn't it hypocritical to refuse to donate your own organs to save someones life, but be okay with taking someone else's organs to save your own?

It kinda makes me angry that people will take something from another person, but would refuse to do the same thing for someone else. Its selfish, IMO.

Ctrl and (deleted member) like this.
  2. gamewell45

gamewell45 Well-Known Member Past Donor

i don't think they are being hypocritical; some people have an inordinate fear of being cut open when they die and having the organs harvested; some cannot for religious reasons. Some could care less either way; just depends on their feelings and religious convictions.

If you volunteer to donate your organs there should be no strings or conditions attached to it.

catalinacat and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Mak, if a person receives an organ from someone else, that means they're in need for it to live, therefore, they are not in the best of health and can't be a organ donor themselves........ doncha think?

People, in general, are very generous in helping others w/health situations. When I was at the Red Cross, I got a call one day asking me if I would put on a bone marrow drive for a young mother who went to his church who had leukemia and needed a bone marrow transplant. Said "Sure!" and did it.

We had a HUGE turnout! Not only the members of the woman's church, but many, many others in the community. A bone marrow transplant isn't easy on the donor and when the donors asked me about the procedure I just told them "I won't lie to you. After it's over with, you will feel like you had been kicked by a horse - but if you're a match, you will save someone's life." No one ever walked out......

There was no match for the young mother, who had 2 kids and she passed on, but she said herself "The bone marrow drive was great b/c it put so many more people on the bone marrow register for those who need a transplant and there will be matches there for others."

And, ironically, several yrs later, my own beloved daughter was diagnosed with leukemia - but she was lucky and didn't need a transplant. If she had, her brother or sister - maybe me or her dad would have been a match, but no guarantee, of course.

Practically everyone I know is an organ donor....

And, incidentally, a couple of those church members came back later and asked me if they could work as a volunteer for me and they were excellent volunteers - very good people...:sun:

4. Hummingbird

Good post..........

5. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Are there actually any people who refuse to be organ donors on moral or emotive grounds (as opposed to just not getting around to signing up) who wouldn't also refuse to be a recipient on the same basis?

6. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Well-Known Member Past Donor

No, they should not be banned. Many people who receive blood transfusions are not blood donors. The same ethical principles should and do apply to organ transplantation.

catalinacat and (deleted member) like this.
  7. ian

ian New Member

Cant see what the point would be, there is actually a surplus of donor organs in this country. Its other resources to take advantage of donor organs that are lacking.

8. Frogger

Frogger Well-Known Member Past Donor

Okay,Makedde, and people who don't pay taxes should be banned from receiving benefits paid for by taxes.

9. gamefreak9

gamefreak9 New Member

Wow interesting post! :p. Also does anyone know exactly how organ Donation works??? I imagine that if your dead for an hour they become useless. And on 7pounds (movie), it seemed like they had the option of saving Will Smith OR the girl... in other words does being an organ donor give away your prioritization? I mean i would love to give my organs when i die, who cares, but if its like a choice between my life and another, i think i deserve my organs... as selfish as that sounds.

10. liberalminority

liberalminority Well-Known Member

disagree until the system is better policed.

right now some doctors will not save someone in order to take their organs since they are valuable.

11. jedimiller

jedimiller Well-Known Member

Of course not Mak. That's nonsense because the donators are doing it on their own will and the receivers are not.

12. Ctrl

Ctrl Well-Known Member Past Donor

It appears that Mak and I are on the same side in a controversial thread. That is definitely a first.

Absolutely. Blood is different. If everyone gave blood almost all blood would be thrown away. I say this being a frequent blood donor.

"Afraid of organ harvesting" when you die? So an autopsy which you do not get to authorize is...

It is quite simple. You pay to play. If you knew it was the only way you could receive an organ in need, I think people would overcome that fear.

13. Hummingbird

Well, there are the Jehovah Witnesses who don't believe in donating blood and will not accept a blood transfusion even to save their own life or even their child. The JW told me they believe blood is 'precious'........ well yeah, it is. It saves lives....

14. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

That's my point. If there aren't actually any people who meet the definition in the OP, isn't the question something of a moot point?

15. Ctrl

Exactly. They still get a choice... they aren't going to get a kidney anyway.

16. submarinepainter

submarinepainter Well-Known Member Past Donor

I am an organ donor and wish everyone was

17. Shangrila

Shangrila staff Past Donor

Just as we read in posts here, much fear stems from ignorance and imagination.
    Fairy tales and rumors are abound, and, unless someone learns as much about the subject as possible, the rumors, even poor/wealthy, racial arguments will be brought forth.
    As with any donation, the gift of life should be given freely.
    If we attach strings to our offerings, they turn into deals and bribes.
    Donations should be used appropriately, never for profit, and one should never expect anything in return.
    Organ transplant is such a fine tuned precision undertaking, and is handled with such professionalism, one can only applaud those who work in this field, accept the necessary additional training, the endless and often inconvenient hours, the endless dedication, working with those who are gravely ill as well as those who are saying their good byes to loved ones, all to give the gift of life.
    All we can do is lovingly encourage to give. The rest is a very private matter of heart, faith and selflessness.

18. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

What if somebody is sick? Or can't give due to an illness? They won't be able to recieve organs.

19. Ctrl

What illness would prevent you from donating corneal tissue?

20. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

HIV/AIDS proabably.

21. Til the Last Drop

Til the Last Drop Well-Known Member Past Donor

This is the reason right here why most don't check the donate organs part. I admit I didn't check it until my last DL. Maybe I just don't care anymore. IDK. But in a society where doctors would rather charge you to keep you comfortable than cure anything, this perception of medicine in America will be the number 1 roadblock to people donating organs. And rightly so.

22. Dispondent

Dispondent Well-Known Member Past Donor

Organ donations that require the death of another are totally immoral. People begin to hope that someone dies to save another. That seems completely wrong. Organ donation that does not require death, such as a kidney or bone marrow are ok in my eyes.

23. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I absolutely agree. If someone refuses to donate, I think they shouldn't be able to receive. I don't want anyone else's organ, which is why I don't feel guilty about not wanting to donate.;)

24. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I have no problem with either as long as it's strictly voluntary.

25. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

Religious reasons are irrelevant. You can still be an organ donor, religion is a silly excuse people use. A better excuse would be medical reasons. That would be fine.

People would accept an organ if they knew it would save their life...but if they were given the chance to return the favor, a few people might refuse, and that is, IMO, selfish.

Blood is in good supply, and doesn't require someone to die first. Organs are different, we need them more than we need blood as we have a shortage of donors.

That would work if I actually received benefits from the government, Frogger, which I don't.

People who donate are giving the gift of life. People who accept an organ and who are not registered donors are simply taking. They are giving nothing in return and that is wrong.

JW's are stupid. If you need blood, accept it! It will save your life, stop praying to your God and take what the doctor is offering you. If you refuse something that could save your life you are pretty (*)(*)(*)(*)ed up, IMO.

People should be excluded for medical reasons, that is fine. But for those people who are capable of donating, they should not accept an organ from another person yet refuse to return the gift when they pass.