The U.S healthcare fiasco

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Mike12, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Mike12

Mike12 Well-Known Member

I supported Trump but i get Trump, he's a pragmatist and an independent who used right wing rhetoric to get elected, watch him be a true indecent now as president. Trump actually supported a single payer system in the past and he may disappoint you greatly. Ryan and his kind think Trump will just repeal without a good replacement ( a replacement which will keep many of the good things ACA did) but they are in for a rude awakening. You watch.... sit tight.

2. ARDY

ARDY Well-Known Member Past Donor

Hope you are correct
    Time will tell

3. Mike12

Mike12 Well-Known Member

no, because it's non-profit my friend, take a look at the profits and fat salaries in insurance industry - billions and billions.

Take % of GDP as a normalized comparison and US govt spends more in healthcare than Canada and UK as a % of GDP! WOW! how is this possible when Canada has socialized insurance and UK socialized medicine?

as far as payroll tax, medicare is what? 2.5% and it pays for the elderly who are the most expensive... a 7% tax would cover it all, everyone pays in. What's ironic about the whining is that studies show people would actually save money by paying more in taxes vs having to buy expensive premiums, pay out of pocket etc... it;s a no brainer.

4. AmericanNationalist

AmericanNationalist Well-Known Member

Again, you're only presuming on current numbers. You're not taking into account when they actually get into the system and are counted, instead of hypothetically. You should take a lesson from the 2,500 no one ever saw yet ;). Furthermore, the driver of health care costs are indeed those chronic and long-term diseases. Our bodies decline as they age, and now we're adding larger numbers. And we're not dividing them as to lower their costs.

All I can say to America is "whatever" if you continue to want to do it in a convoluted and inefficient way. This is indeed a business plan, and Americans still want to do it inefficiently. I know my reforms would work, they're based off of common business sense.

5. Mike12

Mike12 Well-Known Member

I supported Trump because i viewed him an independent (like myself) who was forced to move to the right to run as a republican. Remember, this guy supported single payer in the past and even during the primaries opposed republicans on views towards planned parenthood, social security, medicare, medicaid and insuring people with pre-existing conditions. This guy is not the conservative nut, he's solutions oriented and a pragmatist.

6. Mike12

Mike12 Well-Known Member

medicare works quite well..

You just need to accept that single payer is much more cost effective, you know it, i know it and everyone that has studied this knows it.

I'm a free markets guy but when it comes to defense and healthcare (insurance only) , it's better left to government. It all comes down to me believing healthcare is a right, not a luxury item like a care, yacht etc.. A right should not suffer at the expense of profits and this is what happens in a privatized system. A person with cancer is seen as a 'bad product' who is unprofitable and so the people trying to make profits will find ways to cover the cost by making someone pay.

Look at it this way, if tomorrow insurance companies decided they weren't going to make profits and executives agreed to govt level wages, premiums would magically drop... Additionally, imagine if all insurance companies merged and reduced costs for hospitals by making the administration and paperwork more efficient and less costly? Premiums would drop more. Now imagine that everyone had to pay the insurance company the same amount of premium (cheaper than before), all is funded. This is, in essence, single payer.

7. thinkitout

thinkitout Well-Known Member

It means that biased sources quickly spread falsehoods, but, as Paul Simon wrote: "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest".

8. Battle3

Battle3 Well-Known Member

You live in fantasy land. Govt run healthcare is functional in small populations, but barely. Even Canada is having trouble.

The government completely controls the VA healthcare and its a mess. Medicare is headed for disaster because of simple demographics - there won't be enough people working and paying the tax to fund those receiving benefits. Medicaid is in even worse shape.

The problem is not with insurance, its with the govt meddling in healthcare.

And healthcare is not a right.

9. Scampi

Scampi Active Member

I think you have overlooked the fact that when health care is run by the government they buy drugs etc in bulk and so have a strong barging power, they can also buy worldwide.

10. Mike12

Mike12 Well-Known Member

No healthcare system is perfect but why is that the world health organization consistently ranks US healthcare around #37 in the world? this his utterly embarrassing for a nation that considers itself the most powerful and richest nation on Earth. It's also ridiculous that the US government spends more $$ as a % of GDP than Canada or UK, how is this possible? aren't nationalized or single payer systems supposed to be more expensive?

and you mention the problems Medicare has but don't seem to care about the problems the privatized system has, before and after ACA.. it's a mess and incredibly inefficient. It comes down to a simple thing - free markets will always set a high price for health as profits need to be made and big salaries to be paid in addition to paying for treating people.

healthcare should be a right and if you think it's luxury, you simply have no morals my friend. If someone is very ill, self employed and discriminated against because he/she is bad business, it's amoral. Nobody in this country should have to go through any financial hardship for simply trying to pay for needed healthcare to stay alive.

11. Right is the way

Right is the way Well-Known Member

Speaking only for me my health insurance went up 60% I have a higher deductible, so yes for me it is a disaster.

12. gc17

gc17 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Exactly, when a person/family has a 30k income and a 6k deductible it's not having REAL HC insurance.

13. Mike12

Mike12 Well-Known Member

premiums today are not increasing more than they were pre-ACA, ON AVERAGE. The GOP keeps pointing to these crazy increases in some states and under some insurers but they don't mention cases where premiums have come down.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/27/aver...l-after-obamacare-took-effect-study-says.html

14. lynnlynn

lynnlynn New Member

The report provided by the NAIC provides a clear picture of what has happened to the population of their changed insurance coverage since 2007.
    Under Medicaid under private coverage, membership increased by 2 million each year 2007 thru 2013. From 2013 to 2014, it increased by 1 million. In 2014 when the mandate was effective, membership increased by 9 million. In 2015 it increased by 3 million.

Since 2014 membership increased by 12 million people for Medicaid.

People covered under Comprehensive Hospital and Medical coverage where full premiums are paid by the group or individual market, since 2007 the membership decreased from 60 million to 48 million resulting in a loss of 12 million people.

In light of these facts, it appears that those 12 million that increased Medicaid enrollment previously were covered by an employer who provided coverage for lower income brackets that would qualify them for the ACA for Medicaid.

Those employers probably dropped coverage due to cost and were not mandated to provide coverage with the ACA rules. Part time employees did increase significantly when they introduced the ACA to the public regardless of any news media that claims it didn’t.

The government that claims Obama care as a success has created excessive cost to tax payers and the employed sector that ultimately finances it.
    It did not harm the insurance industry since those 12 million loss in the private sector was added to the Medicaid pool under private insurance.

Trump cannot eliminate coverage for those 12 million new members on Medicaid since they are under private insurance. Private insurers fund politicians and investors so it is unlikely that they can solve this problem.

15. lynnlynn

lynnlynn New Member

All premiums that are higher than $4,000 a year for single coverage, the difference is not going to the providers of care who provide medical services.

16. ellesdee

ellesdee Well-Known Member

Insurance companies use policies that make no sense and cost the company far more money. I'd been fighting with mine since august for a motorized wheelchair my doctor put in a claim for. They denied it, and a month later, I fell and broke my hip. They had to pay out almost $50,000 in medical costs for that, and when I told them during appeal a couple of weeks ago that if they had spend $649 for a motorized wheelchair, it probably would have prevented my fall and all those bills, they still denied the claim.

Insurance companies would prefer to pay out huge sums of money for medical bills after you're sick or injured than invest in any sort of far cheaper preventative care.

17. kreo

kreo Well-Known Member

Your calculations are correct, however neither party want to have meaningful health care system.
    Health care is a corporate slavery tool, it forces people to work hard and scares them to loose their employment.
    No employment = no health care, that is a law of the land.

18. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Well-Known Member Past Donor

Why would you want to lose your employment anyway? I'm 61 and semi-retired. I work about 100 hours a month. I actually enjoy going to work, believe it or not. Is that weird or what? :hmm:

19. ARDY

ARDY Well-Known Member Past Donor

Could be
    But an administration is shaped by the people you choose
    Like bush chose Rumsfeld and Cheney

Trump has surrounded himself with some pretty conservative appointments

20. REALITY CHUCK

REALITY CHUCK Well-Known Member

My, how tolerant and intellectual you are. Do you really believe that that crude response enhances your status as a purveyor of enlightenment and truth?

21. REALITY CHUCK

REALITY CHUCK Well-Known Member

So, your implication is that that quote only applies to conservatives, right?

22. Lesh

Lesh Banned

AT 30K there re subsidies.

Besides...what do you think it cost before the ACA?

23. Mircea

Mircea Well-Known Member

Because the WHO has an agenda.

Germans pay a sickness payroll tax of 17.55%, with 9.225% being paid by the employee and 8.325% being paid by the employer, and that doesn't even pay for 100% of costs, so healthcare is rationed.

24. Lesh

Lesh Banned

I don't really care. If you get your "information" from the likes of Rush Limpdick, you're not getting information at all

25. Mike12

Mike12 Well-Known Member

poor response, inadequate. It's ranked #37 because it doesn't work well unless you have a good job or/and rich. It has always been way to expensive and before ACA, plagued with amoral practices where the most in need were discriminated against.

healthcare is rationed in US, if you think it isn't, you are dreaming.