Several people shot outside Empire State Building

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by DonGlock26, Aug 24, 2012.

1. northwinds

northwinds Well-Known Member Past Donor

This was not a planned "mass-murder"........apparently the dude wanted to kill the guy that fired him from a job....the rest of the victims were shot by New York's finest........

2. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

Nope, that's no different to you guys swearing allegiance to a flag. Words.

3. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

Now I do not blame the police officers I blame the training for this. It is sickening that men trained with firearms fire like that. The sad thing is gun owners across the country will be made to pay. It will somehow be the fault of all the guns locked up across America by mentally stable gun owners. This is very sickening and a total lack of or poor training and that is that. The new law! Empty your clip where two pops should do. I mean there is a reason two to the center of mass is recommended/taught.

4. Akula

Akula Banned

They're typical cops...over react...and you know they WISH for a chance to shoot somebody anyway.

5. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

6. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

(*)(*)(*)(*) this thread turn around when the facts came out.. Perhaps people will not rush to push without knowing facts. This went from "another mass shooting" to a murder and then cops gone wild. Interesting. So the murderer had an illegal gun in a state with strict gun laws and the cops injured a ton of innocent bystanders and people still try to use this incident for more gun control? Sickening.

7. Akula

Akula Banned

What we REALLY need is cop control.
    They run amok in america.

8. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

Speaking of someone overreacting before the facts come out..... Surprising eh?

9. Akula

Akula Banned

Any excuse to insult america. He'll climb over dead bodies if he has to.

Like the rest of the british and most of the australians who both live on islands and have inbred for centuries, he should just post.

"I hate america and all americans because I'm jealous and insecure."

10. MisLed

MisLed New Member

10 shots fired. 9 people hit, 1 dead. NY's finest is sliippin'

11. Defengar

Defengar New Member

Saw this on another forum:

No matter where you stand on gun politics, we need to force the NYPD to re-evaluate their training and especially their use of modified, heavy triggers on their firearms:

From user /u/wewd in /r/news.

When the NYPD switched from Smith & Wesson revolvers, which had about a 12 lb trigger pull, to Glock semiautomatics, which have a 5.5 lb trigger pull, the NYPD found that their officers were having a high incidence of negligent discharges due to the lower weight trigger pull. Instead of altering their training, as every other police department did, and teach the officers not to put their fingers on the trigger until they're prepared to fire, they decided to re-engineer the Glock trigger to add an 8 lb resistance spring to the trigger, effectively giving it a pull weight about the same as the old revolvers (~12 lbs).

Due to the design of the Glock's firing mechanism, using a spring-loaded striker instead of an external hammer, this didn't exactly result in a trigger that had the same feel and function of the old revolvers; it just made the trigger very cumbersome to use, especially for rapid follow-up shots. What ends up happening is the increased trigger pull weight causes the user to torque their grip on the firearm, resulting in the muzzle waving off the target for rapid follow-up shots.

It has been documented* that NYPD officers have some of the lowest accuracy scores, both in the controlled, low-stress environment of the qualification range, as well as in real-world officer-involved shootings. This includes an incident where officers fired a total of 73 rounds at a suspect, hitting him a total of two times. That sort of performance from a police force is unacceptable.

The NYPD are the only police department that use the modified heavy trigger in their Glock pistols. All other departments worldwide use the standard 5.5lb trigger.

To compare the performance of their officers to another large police force, the LAPD use standard Beretta 92F (US Army designation M9) 9mm pistols, which have triggers that operate in double-action (12 lbs) for the first shot, and single-action (5 lbs) for all follow-up shots. The LAPD officers have a 51% hit rate.*

The NYPD's modified Glocks operate in double-action for every shot with a 12 lb trigger pull, and their officers have a 15% hit rate.* *[Source: SPECIAL REPORT: FIREARMS, Aveni, Thomas; Law and Order, Vol. 51, No.8 August 2003]

A 15% hit rate is absolutely unacceptable, especially by officers that may have to use their firearms against armed suspects in a crowded city environment, as was the case in this incident. 16 shots were fired, and 9 bystanders were struck. It's unknown how many shots struck the suspect, or how many struck no-one at all.

Instead of training their officers to be safer users of firearms, the NYPD decided to modify their guns, which resulted in guns that are much less effective, and quite frankly, more dangerous to bystanders than the alternative.

edit: I feel like I need to add this: The officers were 100% justified in shooting this man, as it appears pretty certain the guy pointed a gun on them. Further, I don't even necessarily blame these officers for shooting 9 innocent bystanders. For all we know these guys were good shots, but were simply forced to use a (*)(*)(*)(*)ty weapon. The blame here should fall on the officers' superiors and any politicians involved in making the rules pertaining to their training and, more importantly, the weapons they use. As I said elsewhere in this thread, Navy Seals and competition shooters would shoot like (*)(*)(*)(*) if they were forced to use 12 lb DAO triggers in a situation where they needed to rapidly shoot their weapon. It is just an inherently inaccurate function, period.

Like it or not, I believe (read: opinion, not necessarily fact) that along with a desire to cut-corners by not adequately training their police force and/or a refusal to fire those who cannot properly handle a firearm due to heavy police union influence, much of the reasoning behind this policy can be traced back to NYC's rabidly anti-gun culture. When your entire population is told that guns are inherently bad and unsafe, it is should not be a surprise when policies are shaped around this fear rather than around common sense and logic. As I said elsewhere, there is a really simple solution to this problem even if they want to maintain a heavy trigger pull on their firearms for safety: using DA/SA hammer-fired guns where the first shot can be made to have a heavy trigger pull for safety, and subsequent shots have a lighter, shorter trigger pull for accuracy. That said, there are other cities with similar anti-gun cultures, notably DC and Chicago, where their police forces do not use these kind of trigger requirements.

12. hiimjered

hiimjered Well-Known Member Past Donor

It is an oath, made freely and willingly. It is no different than the oath you give to repay a loan or fulfill the obligations of any contract. While I don't disagree that many people don't have sufficient honor to actually keep their word, the fact remains that if any British military member ever disobeys any order the queen gives, they will be breaking their oath and will be proven to have no honor.

13. lizarddust

lizarddust Well-Known Member

Too much TV and Hollywood.

In films and movies, whenever someone robs a 7/11 the guy is always black or Hispanic.

14. Akula

Akula Banned

Those are called documentaries. :)

15. lizarddust

But she doesn't tell "them" what to do.

16. lizarddust

Those are highly fictitious.

17. Akula

Akula Banned

I'll have to defer to your superior knowledge and experience with american culture, crime and living in a black majority city.

Oh wait...you don't have any...

18. lizarddust

Supplying proof is in your court.

25% of all Australians have atleast one parent born in a country other than Australia.

19. hiimjered

hiimjered Well-Known Member Past Donor

But the truth of my statement remains:

"Regardless, if your military members have any honor at all, your queen could take over the country, disband parliament and go right back to monarchical rule if she so desired. Your soldiers swear allegiance to the queen, not to the country, the citizens or the government."

Even though she may not choose to exercise that power, the fact remains that she does have that power.

20. Akula

Akula Banned

So they're 75% inbred...It shows.

21. webrockk

webrockk Well-Known Member Past Donor

Thanks for this post, Defengar....very informative. I had a trigger job done on my (now stolen) Sig Sauer P220 45. It was 7.5# and I lightened it to 4.4#.... my rapid burst accuracy improved considerably.

22. cassandrabandra

cassandrabandra New Member

45% of australians were either born overseas or have at least one parent born overseas.

hardly inbred.

despite the numbers in the US, americans appear to be among the most insular in the developed world, and rarely travel outside their own country.

may as well be inbred. it amounts to the same small mindedness.

23. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

So who did they hire to replace the dead workers, whites or blacks?

24. liberalminority

liberalminority Well-Known Member

My main issue here is, WHY WERE ALL THE INNOCENT BYSTANDERS SHOT BLACK?

The NYPD thought that the blacks were the criminals, when the criminal was a white guy in a suit.

25. GiveUsLibertyin2012

GiveUsLibertyin2012 New Member

Was the suspect armed with a 17 ounce soft drink?