Leading climate scientist admits he was wrong - also says Al Gore was wrong

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mac-7, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Iron River

Iron River Well-Known Member

A new study shows that wind farms cause warming and may impact local wild life. The churning of air prevents cooling during the night by mixing the cool air near the ground with the warmer air higher up.

2. Poor Debater

Poor Debater New Member

Completely false. This is what you get from reading right-wing blogs instead of real science.

3. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

I don't know who you are but I know that Lovelock is a major figure in the man-made climate change hokum industry.

And he has just revealed the truth behind the curtain.

Which he able to do because he does not have the fear the global warming inquisition.

4. AtsamattaU

AtsamattaU Well-Known Member

This is profound. Because while it's difficult to imagine scientists promoting a false idea or conviction at the behest of a politician or "One World" movement or whatever, it is not difficult at all to accept that politicians and their entourages will make stuff up (their specialty!) about the environment in order to get elected. Obviously there are politicians on both sides of this issue; but the scientists are overwhelmingly only on one.

5. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

No, he has done some work with atmospheric chemistry but he is NOT a climatologist - not as it is now known.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Lovelock

6. Bowerbird

No, he is a leading figure of the Gaia hypothesis - different thing altogether

7. Bowerbird

Wha???????? Love a link to such a study - I would submit it to the Ig-nobel prize awards

8. Poor Debater

Poor Debater New Member

I don't know who you are, but I know that you're misinformed. About pretty much everything. Lovelock has written a grand total of two peer-reviewed papers dealing with climate. If that counts as a "major figure" in your mind, you have very low standards. But then we already knew that.

9. Grokmaster

Grokmaster Well-Known Member Past Donor

Ask, and you shall receive:

New research finds that wind farms actually warm up the surface of the land underneath them during the night, a phenomenon that could put a damper on efforts to expand wind energy as a green energy solution.

Researchers used satellite data from 2003 to 2011 to examine surface temperatures across as wide swath of west Texas, which has built four of the world's largest wind farms. The data showed a direct correlation between night-time temperatures increases of 0.72 degrees C (1.3 degrees F) and the placement of the farms.

"Given the present installed capacity and the projected growth in installation of wind farms across the world, I feel that wind farms, if spatially large enough, might have noticeable impacts on local to regional meteorology," Liming Zhou, associate professor at the State University of New York, Albany and author of the paper published April 29 in Nature Climate Change said in an e-mail to Discovery News

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/04/30/wind-farms-are-warming-earth-researchers-say/

I am STILL WAITING, however, for the chemo/thermo/baro test, using scientific method, showing the proven, verifiable, repeatable thermal retention properties of the current TOTAL ATMOSPHERIC LEVEL OF CO2, .000382, and then the HUMAN PRODUCED PORTION Of TOTAL ATMOSPHERIC CO2, .00002292., OR its effect on ...anything, besides green plants.

10. Bowerbird

Hmmmm - I have to retract this - there is such a study but it is not as reported by Iron River.

But as I posted elsewhere I agree with Nigel Tapper on this one
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-30/wind-farms-linked-to-temperature-rises/3979930

EVERYTHING we do has a consequence - we just have to learn to "own" these consequences

11. Grokmaster

Grokmaster Well-Known Member Past Donor

And Nigel just "spun" a completely speculative pile of goose droppings, without a SHRED of empirical proof to support his "Green Fairy Tale"....

12. Bowerbird

No, merely pointed out that we humans have to be responsible for the messes we make

What is so radical about that? I thought the right wing LOVED people taking responsibility for things like health care and income - surely then we as a group need to take responsibility for our own actions on the environment

13. Poor Debater

Poor Debater New Member

As I said before, this is what you get from reading right-wing blogs (and FOX Snooze) rather than real science. Here, the hypocritical Mr. Grokmaster cannot actually cite a peer-reviewed paper, even though he routinely asks that of others. Maybe he doesn't know how. It took me all of five minutes to find the actual science and read the paper

Not only is Mr. Grokmaster a hypocrite, he doesn't read the threads to which he posts, either. Otherwise, he would have seen this post.

14. cupid dave

cupid dave Well-Known Member

Wjat has really been wrong with the rush to judgment on Climate Change is to have ignored that our last generations have cut down almost all the trees in the world.
    Deforrectation has destroyed the forrests and the Rain Forrest.

Trees are the plants that were supposed to breath in the Carbon Dioxide accumulation these scientists are measuring.

The easy argument was man is producing the CO2, without even noticing that the Trees are not around to suck it out.
    Would not it be nice if we had twice the trees now existing since that is what trees do?

Another slip up was that the sun has been causing ice caps on Mars and other planets to melt, and know man isn't causing that.
    The scientists did some studies and found that the visible light spectrum had intensified.
    They previously only measure for increase solar activity and had dismissed the sun as a factor.
    Now, they see that the sun may in fact be causing the melt down.

But, by now, the commitment to raise taxes and support the environmentalist plus increase the momentum of Global Warming Advocates is irreversble.

15. wyly

wyly Well-Known Member

deforestation only makes the problem worse, but there is no doubt man is producing too much CO2...

what other planets besides earth and Mars have polar ice caps????..the cause of martian polar ice cap reduction you may be familiar with, it's called seasonal change....

16. wyly

wyly Well-Known Member

climate doesn't change from year to year that would be weather...how can you put up coherent intelligent debate on climate change when you don't know the difference between weather and climate

17. wyly

wyly Well-Known Member

18. gmb92

gmb92 New Member

Let's see what global warming deniers got wrong on this thread:

1. That Lovelock is some sort of notable mainstream climate scientist. He's not.

2. That Lovelock is someone who ever followed the evidence, or was someone climate scientists ever took seriously. He wasn't. The old man's always been a rebel, a contrarian of sorts who has never really trusted scientists, trusting in his own loner Gaia visions.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2006/02/james-lovelocks-gloomy-vision/

http://scienceblogs.com/stoat/2012/04/junk_from_von_s.php

3. That Al Gore is wrong, just like Lovelock. He's not.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/20...till-doesnt-follow-climate-science/?mobile=nc

To be fair, Lovelock implies that his predictions (such the absurd 10 degree temperature rise in 10 years, claims of humans being reduced to a "few breeding pairs" in the Arctic by 2100) should be equated with Gore's following of mainstream projections, so that's on him. He needs to take responsibility for his nonsense, not project it to others. He made Gore look like Inhofe.

But buried in the article is Lovelock saying we should reduce fossil fuels. So he has gone from a position that global warming is happening too fast and there's nothing we can do about it to saying we can and should reduce fossil fuels. Welcome to reality.

Carry on, deniers.

19. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

OK.

Actually I do know the difference.

But I hope you will admit that the left has been guilty of using weather to back up their claims of climate change.

In fact some claim almost every weather pattern is the result of climate change.

Besides attacking me is not going to make Lovelock go away.

Libs are now forced to attack one of their gods when he no longer conforms to their preconceived ideas on global warming.

How unfortunate for you.

20. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Predictions of doom is what pays the freight for climate scientists who depend on funding from the gullible to support them.

And their predictions have not been very good.

21. Colonel K

Colonel K Well-Known Member

Not to burst your denier bubble, but actual mainstream science predictions (rather than press hype) are proving conservative if anything.

22. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

According to predictions coming from the man-made global warming doomsday industry we should be well on the way to being a fried planet by now and it didn't happen.

Now a leading global warming Pied Piper has admitted that the "experts" were wrong and are likely to remain wrong because they don't know what they are talking about.

23. Poor Debater

Poor Debater New Member

So you were acting like you didn't as a debating ploy? Only a right-winger would think it's cool to look ignorant.

Climate science doesn't predict weather on any given day or year, but it does predict weather patterns. For example, global warming should be accompanied by dry places getting dryer and wet places getting wetter. So when we get an unprecedented drought in Texas (that is still ongoing), it's fair to say that global warming was part of the cause. Responsible climate scientists, such as the Texas State Climatologist say those things.

In the first place, Lovelock isn't anybody's god as far as I know. He holds no academic post and has no students. In the second place, Lovelock in the past didn't conform to the mainstream ideas of global warming. That's why pretty much nobody believed him. His current (changed) position is now on board with existing climate science. I'm not going to attack Lovelock for that. Instead, I'm going to attack you for not being where Lovelock is now.

24. Poor Debater

Poor Debater New Member

The IPCC projected in 1990 that if we got an additional .63 Watts per square meter of greenhouse gas forcing in the following 20 years, global temps would increase at a rate of .17° C per century. As it turned out, we actually got an additional .63 Watts per square meter of greenhouse gas forcing in the following 20 years, and global temps increased at a rate of .16° C per century. Bullseye.

False. The Pied Piper admitted that he was wrong and the experts were right.

The only one who doesn't know what he's talking about here is you, so the only one likely to remain wrong here is you.

25. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Or if it suits the doomsday global warming crowd dry places getting wetter or wet places getting dryer can be blamed on man-made global warming too.

Anything it takes to keep the funding going.