Doctoral Student kicked out because she does not believe gays are born that way

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by sec, Jul 17, 2013.

1. raytri

raytri Well-Known Member

Gender roles, gender identity and sexual orientation are three very different things.

2. Windigo

Windigo Banned

No they are 3 things that are slightly different yet are very close.

3. LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie New Member

sec,
    I actually read the article you linked to. The lady didn't get thrown out from school for being anti-gay, she got thrown out for being a disruption. And frankly saying you think being gay is a choice if the subject came up about sexual relationships in a public school in classroom setting during a hypothetical in a school of education lecture about classroom management shows this lady use bad judgement in that setting, she would probably use that same bad judgement in a real public school classroom. The woman involved in this just saved a public school principal somewhere a huge lawsuit.

4. Alfalfa

Alfalfa Banned

She's a current high school teacher.

5. Flintc

Flintc New Member

Maybe not, but a good lawyer will find some anyway. That's what lawyers are for.

6. willburroughs

willburroughs Well-Known Member

That is no fair and completely unacceptable. In a thread whose obvious purpose is to blather nonsensical hatred towards the left, it is not proper to submit examples of intolerance by the right.

7. SFJEFF

SFJEFF New Member

Speaking of intollerance- how about parents who kick their kid out of the house for being gay?

http://www.truthwinsout.org/opinion/2013/06/35652/

This is Jonathan Allen. His parents kicked him out of the house on his eighteenth birthday because they don’t “agree with his lifestyle.” You will see that not only did they kick his “lifestyle” out of their home, they may have kicked one of the world’s next great opera voices out of their home.

8. Alfalfa

Alfalfa Banned

No, it's a lawyers job to win, not be laughed out of court.

9. SpaceCricket79

SpaceCricket79 New Member Past Donor

Their loss then.

But that's apples to oranges. I'm leaning towards thinking that 'having a certain view' is a silly grounds for firing someone unless it is relevant to their job - reminds me of a boss who fired his employee for voting for Obama.

Overall though I lean toward businesses being able to fire/hire people at their own discretion - if a person with anti-gay views is bad PR for a business then it's their right to let them go. Businesses and private entities aren't obligated to "protect free speech" - they're obligated first and foremost to be a business and do what they believe is in their and their customers' best interests.

10. Flintc

Flintc New Member

I guess you're a better lawyer than the one she got. His claims don't make much sense to me either, but maybe he anticipates selecting an all-black jury.

11. SFJEFF

SFJEFF New Member

Sec- I was looking around- where was the thread you started about the intollerance shown by the right towards this student? I found dozens of news articles about this- it was well publicized.

I know that you post to champion those who have suffered from the intollerance from others, and I just can't believe I missed your thread on this woman who was kicked out of college for being gay.

12. cd8ed

cd8ed Well-Known Member Past Donor

So a bakery, diner, wedding planner, employer, photographer or church (all private) can deny service and it is the pinnacle of capitalism.
    A PRIVATE school, however, cannot...

So as long as it is discriminating against the gays and their supporters it is justified. Got ya
    (*)(*)(*)(*)ing hypocrite bigots, everyone of you

I will say the same thing I said in those threads (since I am a Libertarian I am not blinded by irrationality or "my party" politics):
    Private company/organization can do what they want, when they want - if you don't like it, (*)(*)(*)(*) feel free to boycott them

13. LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie New Member

Well I must have missed that in the rambling of the article. There is a principal out there probably walking on egg shells then.

14. Casper

Casper Banned at Members Request Past Donor

Strange Cons always preach about private institutions being able to run their business as they see fit, that is until it cuts the other way.

15. leftysergeant

leftysergeant New Member

I thought you people didn't like schools graduating people who don't grasp the subject matter.

16. sec

sec Well-Known Member

Where do I even say whether or not I support the school? I'm simply pointing out the intolerant left.

I'm glad that you brought up the bakeries etc. Here we have a professor who tossed out a paying student because she does not believe the false narrative of "born gay". She is tossed out because of a belief.

In the bakery scenario, they are denied because of a lifestyle choice. If you support the bakery, then you must support the school and vice versa.

So again, I did not say whether or not I support the school but they should be able to toss her out for her having common sense. If they want to be known as a school of intolerance and falsities then more power to them. At least be up front about it like with the bakeries. Make the statement that you will not educate anyone who dares display common sense

17. darckriver

darckriver New Member Past Donor

Actually, a great many of our major universities should put in a disclaimer: "Only approved ideas will be entertained. Students caught discussing any notions other that those approved by the Board of University Censers and complying with federal guidelines for correct thinking will be subject to dismissal."

18. JEFF9K

JEFF9K New Member

Any studies to back that up? Any idea why intolerance and discrimination became identified with conservatives? Any idea why Rush and friends might be motivated to lie about something like this?

19. cd8ed

Your view on this is fairly clear, one can interpret that from looking at 90% of your posts and your wording above. The school is intolerant of "common sense" while the bakery is correct in its intolerance of a "lifestyle choice".

And she did make a lifestyle choice - running your mouth is a choice - broadcasting your opinions to those who do not want to hear it - is a choice.
    Being gay is not a choice, I am not going to go as far as to say you are born gay as I believe biological, physical, and environmental factors are at play - but usually (absolutes are rare in nature, this includes humans) being homosexual is not chosen.

That said, my original assessment stands, they have a right to do as they wish, same as my statements with the bakery.

20. cd8ed

Intolerance is typical at both ends of the political spectrum - acting like the Republicans are more guilty of this than Democrats is dishonest.

21. sec

sec Well-Known Member

correct

in the case of the student, she was targeted for a belief

In the case of the bakery, they are being sued for not supporting an alternative lifestyle

In one case, the woman is on her own because of intolerance

In the other instance, the bakery is being sued by the state

sure sounds like a double standard to me

22. sec

sec Well-Known Member

interesting comment about the source

how do you feel about the rebuttals within this thread which are sourced by perezhilton and dailykos?

How about when I post the advocate as a source (gay magazine web site)

do you stand by the same convictions when anti tolerance sites such as perezhilton, daily kos and the advocate are cited?

23. JEFF9K

JEFF9K New Member

That's not true. Reality proves it. And pretending that both sides are equal is the type of FALSE EQUIVALENCE that conservatives love.

24. Flintc

Flintc New Member

I have read through this thread a couple of times, but where other sources are quoted isn't obvious. Could you be so kind as to provide links once again?

Something about this doesn't pass my sniff test. I've never heard of a student being kicked out solely for expressing an unpopular political belief, or even an unpopular falsehood. I wonder if this case isn't similar to that JPL case, where the guy claimed religious discriminaton whereas actually he'd been preaching at everyone and nobody could get him to back off, and he was NOT doing his work.

And this is sometimes the case with strong political or religious beliefs. Someone might disrupt the workplace, or hijack classes in school, or fail to do assignments as directed (turning them all into political or religious diatribes), and when they are kicked out, they SAY it's for religious or political reasons. It's not.

I looked for other sources on this, and I found a couple of conservative Christian sites that picked up the story verbatim. So other sources would be welcome.

25. Windigo

Windigo Banned

IMHO I dont think it is one thing or another. It has been shown that a mothers relative levels of testosterone and estrogen may have a significant effect on gender identification and sexuality. However, it has also been shown that homosexual and bisexual men are up to 10 times as likely to have been a victim of child molestation than the general population. So that also shows learned behavior.

Personally I am never one to believe in singular cause as can be evident by my objection to anthropogenic global warming theory which tries to reduce the entire climate system to a sole driver in CO2. I think that in the case of homosexuality there is both nature and nurture at play on a case by case basis.