Blind Chinese activist Chen in US

Discussion in 'Latest US & World News' started by s002wjh, May 21, 2012.

1. WanRen

WanRen New Member Past Donor

That is one way to jump the US immigration cue. The USA is becoming the dumping ground of al qaeda, activist, communist, liberals, homosexuals, terrorist, etc. etc. :( :eyepopping:

Why USA, why not Saudi, or Russia?

2. Marlowe

Marlowe New Member

Wanren are you so obsessed with Al Q- Russia + Saudi , that you do not read latest news ?

Chen Guangcheng could be back in China within 12 months

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/21/chen-guangcheng-back-china

I guess the Chinese govnt is a bit like your god, they dont like people who disagree with them,

3. stig42

stig42 New Member

i don’t mind im not a big fan of Chinese oppression

4. Krenisis

Krenisis New Member

Excellent post , thats the only reason these 2 countries even did this in the 1st place. Its more for media/popularity gains as I dont think U.S, even cares about the man.

5. Heroclitus

Heroclitus Well-Known Member

This is exactly the position of the Right. After the debacle at the US embassy, when it looked like Chen would suffer arrest and persecutiion, Commentary was slating the Obama Adminstration as presiding over a dark day for American freedom. Now he is in the USA, the conservative position is to moan about his immigration status and whose payiong for him.

Chen's crime was to protest against local communist thugs forcing people to have abortions in pursuit of the one-child policy. I know Chinese people who know this to have happened to their relatives. Instead of hailing him as a "pro-life" hero, conservatives would prefer to condemn him because he speaks no English. It shows their real concern for the unborn foetus to be the hollow hypocrisy that we always suspected it was.

Conservatives, on the whole, and with a few exceptions, are unprincipled, deceitful scum. Observing US politics brings this home time after time after time.

Serfin' USA and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Heroclitus

Because the USA is a country based on the ideal of universal human rights for all.

As to your slandering of Chen, he is an activist who has campaigned against forced abortions. The way this happened - and I know people whose family this happened to - was a combination of actually physically operating on women against their will or torturing family members until the women agreed to a termination. Terminations done up to nine months of pregnancy and due to the fact that the woman would conceal the pregnancy and usually hide, were very often in the final month of pregnancy.

And you label him a terrorist? Utterly disgusting.

7. GeneralZod

GeneralZod New Member

When has the USA ever lived up to its own ideals of 'human rights for all'

The usa foriegn policy is the complete reverse of that, when the americans view foriegners as slaves to the usa empire. Although the americans still exist in fantasy that their statue of liberty "bring me your tired and hungry" is based on some form of reality.

8. s002wjh

s002wjh Well-Known Member

maybe you don't but i'm sure other taxpayer felt differently. i rather spend the money on some promising american studenst than someone who didn't graduate from high school, never took proper college class, never took GRE,GMAT,TOFEL etc. if he least have some decent academic background and took the necessary/standard exam for all foreign student & US student then i don't mind he come to study. china don't give a (*)(*)(*)(*) about him or his family, they just want to get rid of him.

9. s002wjh

yes there are thousands activist in china, millions in the world. we gonna take everyone of them over american who actually need the financial support of the government, whether is tuition, housing or others. My concern is if he take GRE or other exam and qualify to enroll in presitage NYU LAW school, then thats fine by me. but by supporting him and allow him get into a good university without checking any academic background or taking any standard college exam, we basically screw american student who have better academic performance than him, who need the money for tuition etc etc.

so cut the moral crap, if we really care we would help sudan and other african country which has much worse human right violation than china. He was lock up for YEARS, and we didn't help him, same with the chinese activist win the nobel price. The only reason hilary/obama help him is because he was in media headline, and they sees an opportunity to score some political points.

10. stig42

stig42 New Member

kind of hard to give a (*)(*)(*)(*) about my fellow americans some times

11. s002wjh

well i'm sure in this case some american students study hard, but couldn't afford college would like our government help on their tuition etc. i believe the qualifications to get into a good university such as NYU law should base on academic performance, GRE/GMAT score, not base on media highlight or refugee status. I use to work as a TA in college, know many smart/knowledgeable students work double shift or drop out due to financial situation . I rather my government spend the money on helping those students than using taxpayer money to score some political points for them.

12. Serfin' USA

Serfin' USA Well-Known Member

When has anyone? We're not the only Western state that claims to support these ideals. Your own country does as well, although the UK isn't as vocal about it.

13. GeneralZod

GeneralZod New Member

And thank whatever god for that.

Ideals are fine until politicians scream from the govermental balcony that they will try and 'live up to them' then the countryh is in trouble.

14. Serfin' USA

I agree, but your country has gotten itself in plenty of trouble. Blair seemed to be equally as interested in entering Iraq as Bush was, for example.

15. GeneralZod

GeneralZod New Member

Blair is an unseemly wart on the backside of british history. The same could be said for bush. Unfourtantly they won't go away. they keep popping up every few years trying to 'save the middle east'

16. Talon

Talon Well-Known Member Past Donor

If only your little fantasy was based on some form of reality.

The fact is, the phrase on the Statue of Liberty is based on the reality that many of us and our ancestors came to this country to escape the economic hardships and oppression they faced in the Old World and elsewhere across the planet. Not only that, there are numerous more people still trying to get into our country for the same reasons.

Reality can be so inconvenient, especially to xenophobic Eurofags...

17. reedak

reedak Well-Known Member

Don't worry. There will come a time when they have to go away. God Save the Queen.

18. reedak

reedak Well-Known Member

Yes, he has to be in high profile. Imagine he could graduate from the American university (which, I am afraid, is quite impossible) with English proficiency as good as that of an American-born Chinese, and he needs to translate for our Rep. Christopher H. Smith, a Republican Congressman from New Jersey, in a U.S. Congressional Hearing for another high-profile Chinese activist, it would be very difficult and discourteous to get the blindman off his wheelchair and lower his profile by kneeling beside our congressman.

19. Serfin' USA

What are you getting at?

20. reedak

reedak Well-Known Member

My friend, I am getting at the high profile of the blindman and the low profile of others.

21. Heroclitus

I feel for you. Judging by your post there are obvously deficiencies with the US education system.

22. GeneralZod

GeneralZod New Member

Before you start acting like an arrogant american.

The reason i said this, was this forum. There are many americans here who hate immigration to the usa. There are numoures topics devoted to it. This is a question for your countrymen who don't follow your own ideals.

Which you seem passionate about to the point of making an idiot of yourself on a forum.

23. Heroclitus

Exactly. One more example of the stinking hypcrisy of the American Right. One minute Obama's soft because he doesn't get Chen out. Then when he does he's encouraging illegal immigration. And this from a country of immigrants.

The American story is great. But its exclusivity is as nauseating as it is mythical. Britain, for example, was a haven of freedom for people fleeing persecution in Europe. America is no more than the creation of an advanced set of Europeans enacting the great European ideals of their age. Tom Paine was a Brit. He was raised and schooled in Britain. His yearning for freedom came from Britain. He was one of a long line of Englishmen who had fought for English liberty, which went on to become American liberty. British people need no lessons from Americans on liberty. They learned it at our knee. The Liberty Bell was forged in a London foundry.

24. GeneralZod

GeneralZod New Member

I tip my hat to your wisdom and knoweldge.

I never know the liberty bell was forged in london. This is indeed a rare occurence on this forum. Rich insight and not the usual nationalistic prattle.

Although i do find the word 'fleeing' to not be correct.

The view to persecution within europe and the united kningdom is also mythical in many regards. Of course some were persecuted for beliefs, also many were simply hooligans and such. Who used the excuse as an attempt at criminal action.

And yes it must be a nice historical feeling, that ancestors were all maryters fighting an unjust monarch or system but look deeper, it is not that simple.

What makes me further ponder this is the recent London riots. It was first started by a unjust shooting of a black man by police which sparked off looting and rioting.

But from that first sad event, prompted a vague philosphical musing by the media to the banking crisis, the labour goverment and 'persecution' to the lower and middle classes.

The shooting was an after thought at that point, until the crack down began and the looters were put on trial for criminal action. So i do wonder back in history was it the same. Did the same hysteria exist and are the pages of history to those events perhaps biased in many regards by the hysterical media reporting.

25. Heroclitus

Wise post. Of course everything is complicated. History has many sides which is why it is so fascinating. It is usually a mish mash of competing myths, but there is truth within myth. The Hugenots and Jews came to England to flee oppression.

When Paine said " Though not a courtier will talk of the curfew-bell, not a village in England has forgotten it" he spoke of a deep yearning for liberty in England under the Norman yoke.