Question to Christians: Do souls have a weight?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by TheTaoOfBill, Mar 25, 2012.

1. DarkDaimon

DarkDaimon Well-Known Member

Well everything is "weightless" is space. I think what everyone is really talking about is mass, which is defined as a quantitative measure of an object's resistance to the change of its speed or as a measure of magnitude of the gravitational force which is exerted by an object or experienced by an object.

That said, the answer to the question whether a soul has mass depends on if a soul is composed of matter or energy. If it is composed of matter, it has mass. If it is composed of energy, it does not.

From what I have read about souls and the various descriptions in religious texts, it seems that a soul is a form of energy thus would be massless.

2. TheTaoOfBill

TheTaoOfBill Well-Known Member

Simple. If it went to another dimension it would appear to have disappeared all together. That doesn't prove it went to another dimension but if it did go to another dimension that's what would happen.

3. BFSmith@764

BFSmith@764 Banned

The thing is spirit is not physical and therefore cannot be affected by gravity which is physical. Man's spirit comes from God and when a person dies it goes back to God. So not even the Earth's gravity is able to prevent that spirit from returning to God and it does not need directions. God is Spirit and do you think He is affected by gravity? Do you think angels are affected by gravity?

4. TheTaoOfBill

We have never witnessed anything to break the natural laws of physics. Seems unlikely anything would.

5. OverDrive

OverDrive Well-Known Member Past Donor

This goes back to are the soul & spirit the same or different?

The latest accepted belief (as correlated from the 3 words : body, soul, spirit, when looked at per a search of the total of scripture) indicate the 'trinity' of man as created in the image of God: Father, Son, & Holy Spirit--some see the soul as a type of the Father, the body a type of the Son, and the spirit of man a type of the Holy Spirit of God.

The soul of man is described by many today as : the mind, the will, & the emotions of a man. The soul is the 'bridge' between the body and the spirit, being composed of the physical human brain and the non-physical spirit. The spirit of a man is 'saved' at the time of the 'new birth." The soul is 'saved' thru life-long washing by the word of God. The body will be 'saved' at the resurrection. 'Complete' salvation is a life-long journey.

There is a difference as per this scripture:

Hebrews 4:12
    For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. The soul is an intertwined link of the body & the spirit, but God can distinguish the separation of the two!

So if the question is about the soul weight, then it would be the brain (avg physical wt of 3 lbs) + the spirit (having no physical weight) for a total of 3 lbs.

6. BFSmith@764

BFSmith@764 Banned

And we can't see spirit either, nor can we discern it via any of the othher four senses. Angles, whom are spirit, have been recorded in the Bible to have done things that are impossible for us to do. So why would you even think that spirit is subjected to gravity?

7. BFSmith@764

BFSmith@764 Banned

The problem is the translators......in the New Testament the world soul is translated to mean one thing and in the Old Testament the same word is used for something else. In the New Testament it refers to the spirit but in the Old it is referring to the body, animal or human. This is why simply reading the Bible without Concordance can be confusing.

8. OverDrive

It's mind boggling, I agree.

But, do you see man as 2-dimensional only, as in body & soul/spirit (being the same)?

The soul is this bridge or the battle ground between the desires of the flesh and the desires of the spirit to follow God.

It is intertwined with both, and I like this analogy to represent the mixing:

If you have ever seen a cut of meat with a 'beef steak bone,' the round-cut bone in the middle of a cut of meat, you will notice something---the marrow is in the middle, and the hard bone on the outside. Question is: where does the marrow stop & the hard bone begin? There appears to be no distinct separation of the 2, but....God can tell! Just as the diff between the soul & the spirit of man.

9. TheTaoOfBill

Because gravity affects every single dimension. It is impossible under the laws of physics to escape gravity. Even time itself is affected by gravity (time moves faster in high gravity locations.)

It's not possible in currently known laws of physics for something to not be affected by gravity at all.

10. CanadianEye

CanadianEye Well-Known Member Past Donor

I had a lot of fun with this question, when a friend of mine who believes in god, talked about how a there has been a measureable, small weigh loss detected (beyond bodily fluids) when a human dies.

He said it was the soul leaving that accounted for the weight loss.

On topic. I don't believe there is a soul, or god, or a spiritual realm, etc.

11. BFSmith@764

BFSmith@764 Banned

Man is a being with both a body and a spirit. When God made Adam (man) and by extension Eve He first made a body, then God imparted what He is into the body. So both body and soul or spirit is what makes us human. As far as battle ground and the spirit, the only spirit that a person wages this internal war against the flesh is the Holy Spirit that God gives an individual at baptism.

12. OverDrive

Guess you have to ask yourself: "does the brain structure (cells, synapses, etc.), chemistry, etc. contain who a person 'thinks' that they are?" Is it part of the heart or core of a man? I say that the intertwining is "who one is:" man being a spirit, having a soul, and living in a body...

Going back to the scripture:

Hebrews 4:12
    For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Again, The soul is an intertwined link of the body & the spirit, but God can distinguish the separation of the two!

>>>>>>>indicating a separation of 2 entities, soul & spirit.

Follow the rest of that scripture: joint (hard bone) & marrow, same almost homogenous but distinct bone parts; and thoughts & intentions of the heart---thoughts are passing and w/o any plan of action; whereas, intentions are 'directed' thoughts.

Dont be so quick, BFS! Scripture says a difference! And man created in the image of a Triune Being is also a triune being.....I'm not going to argue it, just present what has made sense to me for many years when reading the scriptures.....OD

13. BFSmith@764

BFSmith@764 Banned

Gravity affects physical things not spirit and time and space is our reality not spirit. Human beings can only know what we can know via the five senses and spirit is outside of that. The only way we know that spirit exist is by revelation from God.

14. BFSmith@764

BFSmith@764 Banned

When God imparted spirit to Adam He imparted it into his brain via his face. So the seat of our intelligence is our brain which is why when the brain is damaged the person can lost an aspect of their personality, while if they were to lose an arm, a leg, a lung or even the heart they still maintain who they are. The spirit is what empowers the brain that makes us unique and superior to any animal.

15. TheTaoOfBill

In our reality? What does that even mean? If it doesn't exist in reality it doesn't exist. I'm trying to introduce scientific questions to the existence of souls. Saying angels exist outside of reality because a 2000 year old book says so doesn't imply any scientific or otherwise independent thought was put into it at all.

16. BFSmith@764

BFSmith@764 Banned

You expect too much from science. Science cannot explain spirit. So as far as science goes it does not exist even though it is real.

17. TheTaoOfBill

Even things science cannot explain still make sense in the laws of physics. Angels spit in the face of everything that is what we know about the universe. They don't exist period.

18. BFSmith@764

BFSmith@764 Banned

There you go again, thinking that spirit is in the realm of physics or is explainable through the laws of physics. Does the law of physics explain what spirit is? Can it explain how spirit beings do not need food, air and water to live? Does it explain how legions demons, who are spirit can possess one individual?

19. Anobsitar

Anobsitar Banned

What's the mystery? If something has effects then you can find the causes of the effects.

The light sends the informations in this universe.

http://youtu.be/bHXuAOVp8Ks

20. Anobsitar

Anobsitar Banned

Make it more simple. Is physics able to explain what a plan is? - I would say "no". Plans are not a subject of physics. Natural laws don't have plans. But is someone able to do physics without a good plan what to do on what reasons? I would say also "no". So a phycicist is using what he is not able to explain. That's an analogy every materialist should be able to understand.

But I would say you are also a little wrong with the "spirit" you like to see in demons. Structurized matter - like drugs for example - can also be a very concrete materialistic demon.

I guess it's really good to remember that a soul is always both - as well body as well spirit.

http://youtu.be/5tywFX9vQsQ

21. TheTaoOfBill

doesn't mean we can just magically reverse the process. If I burn a book you could certainly tell that fire caused the state that the book is in now. But the molecules themselves have completely shifted. Many of the atoms that made up the book have been turned into carbon dioxide and blasted into the atmosphere. It's not retrievable at all.

no it doesn't...

22. Anobsitar

Anobsitar Banned

Ask a phycisist.

http://youtu.be/a_a9irWZtxQ

23. TheTaoOfBill

I really don't need to. I know enough about physics and the process of oxidation to know it's impossible.

24. Anobsitar

Anobsitar Banned

And what was your fun? Did you find out another result by measuring the weight of people who died - or is your answer only a result of your belief in atheism? How did you and your friend solve this problem?

http://youtu.be/TGTrrnuzUBY

25. Anobsitar

Anobsitar Banned

No problem for me.

http://youtu.be/qrbtrOdytJ8