Republicans, World You Like to Live in a One Party System?

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by atheiststories, Jan 10, 2017.

1. navigator2

navigator2 Banned

So where does that leave the Snowflakes? :grin:

2. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

I would, assuming Republicans become and remain a right-wing party. I don't think a left-wing party should ever be in power again.

3. Sanskrit

Sanskrit Well-Known Member

I believe national political parties should be outlawed by a constitutional amendment.

4. logical1

logical1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

In answer to the question posed -------------------no--- but I would hope the other party would not try to destroy the country if they got voted in. Like the Obama regime did.

5. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

They can go to Canada.

6. atheiststories

atheiststories Active Member

How interesting that you highlight a distinction from crying wolf and calling others racist. I'll try to remember that you keep the two separate in your mind.

7. atheiststories

So I asked this question because I have noticed that Republicans seem unwilling to even consider the other side. Democrats are just as bad. Some are absolutely terrible in fact, but in general this board is dominated by republicans presently, and when you get right down to it, republicans don't have an actual opinion. For example, they complain about healthcare... but that's it. They don't have a plan for it. Same for welfare... and if you ask them their plan for welfare... it's never to abolish welfare, which would be fiscally conservative. Few actually want that... which makes sense because nothing ever happens when republicans are in charge.

8. garyd

garyd Well-Known Member

Blatantly missing the point good job.

9. After Hours

After Hours Well-Known Member

Rants about the Democrats supposedly importing millions of EVIL "hispanics" to gain one party rule...and then wants one party rule himself.

You aren't much different than what you perceive liberals to be, Brew.

10. FrankCapua

FrankCapua Well-Known Member Past Donor

I would like a center-right party and a center-left party.

Once we had this in the US, no longer.

11. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

The difference being I'd like to achieve one party rule by winning on ideas and what's best for Western civilization, not by sabotaging the nation's demographics by importing the least skilled, least educated, most impoverished, and most dependent immigrants in the Western hemisphere.

12. ellesdee

ellesdee Well-Known Member

Just looking at presidencies, we swing back and forth pretty regularly. It's a good thing.

13. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

I do not Trust either party in full control, and that includes my own

14. perotista

perotista Well-Known Member Past Donor

Actually here in Georgia from the civil war until 2002 the Democrats were in charge. Sure there were a couple of presidential elections where Georgia went Republican, but until 2002 the Democrats controlled our state legislature from the civil War until that time. The same for our governorship, we didn't elect a Republican until 2002. Being the Republican Party didn't come into being until 1856, they had to wait 146 until the GOP finally came into power here.

Our elections up until then, the only one that really counted was the Democratic Primaries. The general election was basically just a formality. I think pretty much everyone gets caught up in the presidential elections and don't pay much if any attention to who controls the state.

15. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

I do not Trust either party in full control for too long, and that includes my own

16. perotista

True on the presidency. But you had a 62 year period from 1932 until 1994 where the Democrats controlled the House of Representatives in 58 of those 62 years and had a 40 year straight run from 1954 through 1994. During that same time period the Democrats controlled the senate for 52 of those 62 years. Going back and forth like we have done since 1994 in congress is relatively new.

17. ellesdee

ellesdee Well-Known Member

Thank you. I didn't know all those details.

18. jrr777

jrr777 Well-Known Member

I believe that president's take an oath.

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

If this is something they actually do, it is a "Republic".

Having said that, I believe from the division amongst us, we are doomed to fall anyways (a house divided cannot stand, neither a nation). I used to believe that having a fairly even dems and reps in the white house was a good thing, keeping one party from total control. But as this division amongst us keeps getting worse, and our principalities are vastly different now, it's probably a good thing republicans took control almost completely.

19. Pred

Pred Well-Known Member

Nope. A strong 3 party system. Not the pathetic waste Libertarians are now. We need to be stronger.

20. NCspotter

NCspotter Active Member

No, mostly because a one-party system - even one that you support - can turn into a dictatorship very quickly. There should always be multiple parties to keep the balance of power in check.

21. perotista

You're most welcome. I was born right after WWII and became interested in politics in 1956. From then until 1994 the House was always Democratic and for me that was natural. I never dreamed the Republicans would ever control the House. The election of 1994 was a shock to me. You had six years under Reagan where the GOP controlled the senate 1981-1986, but that was it. The complete congress in Democratic control was just natural, the way it had always been and I thought always would be. At least in my lifetime up and until 1994.

22. atheiststories

Don't call me good job.

23. spiritgide

spiritgide Well-Known Member Past Donor

What we need is common sense and realistic judgment on both sides- where the differences of opinion were not about forcing personal values and choices on others, taxes weren't stealing from some to give to those who game the system, where congressmen would be thrown out if they violated the oath of office or the fiduciary duty it holds- and then, we would have differences in position that could be meaningful and unite rather than divide. I used to be a republican- now I'm independent. I vote for what the nation needs and the best man to do it, even when that is a choice of evils and I have no better options. There needs to be more than one party- but they all need much higher standards. To get that, we need people who know themselves and think for themselves instead of allowing themselves to be spoon fed ideologies- stronger, more independent people.... and a lot fewer talking dodo heads posing as journalists.

From Alexander Tyler, history professor at the University of Edinborough in 1787, speaking about democracy over 2000 years:

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse over loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a dictatorship."

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith;
    From spiritual faith to great courage;
    From courage to liberty;
    From liberty to abundance;
    From abundance to complacency;
    From complacency to apathy;
    From apathy to dependence;
    From dependence back into bondage."

This is why we desperately need stronger people- and more than one point of view, more than one party. But both parties should be for the people and for individual freedom and strength; the question should be how best to do it. NOT to tell the people where they should go- that is the choice of the people. The leaders real job is to get them there safely. Loss of the checks and balance of multiple parties or views destroys that.

24. garyd

garyd Well-Known Member

Only when you do one...

25. After Hours

After Hours Well-Known Member

Well, what's "best for West Civilization" is subjective, eh? I don't think your average black person wants to live under some far right wing white nationalist rule where they'll be treated like second class citizens due to their skin color.

BTW, I wouldn't criticize the uneducated. Your hero Trump loves them, and he also says he loves the Mexicans, amirite?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, no doubt.

Which is why I'm laughing at right wingers thinking we are going to be under Republican rule for decades. And considering we have already had three 3 term presidents in a row, we are due for an eventual one term president.