The End is Nigh says 3 million americans .

Discussion in 'Latest US & World News' started by Marlowe, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Leffe

Leffe New Member

So you base your opinion on the story of Noah? You do understand that it never happened? The animals did not walk two by two into a boat? Noah did not build a boat large enough to house two of every variety of animals on the entire planet.

Therefore the people of Noah's time did not get a surprise flood.

2. talonlm

talonlm New Member

So being prepared makes you into some sort 0f loon, eh? Ever hear of hurricanes? Blizzards? Forest fires? What sort of person simply sits around and waits for someone else to rescue him? Does no one here have a sense of self-reliance? Sitting around in a bunker with a hundred thousand rounds of ammunition waiting for godless communists to kick the door in is extreme, I grant you, but far too many of you here like to paint with a very broad brush.

3. GeneralZod

GeneralZod New Member

Being prepared is an intelligent view. To protect oneself and family in times of need. But this topic is about the people who take that approach to extremes. Believing the world is going to end, or lost in religious mumbo jumbo. Cutting themselves off from all reality to launch their existance at doomsday scenarios. Although their choice. I didnt know there were so many of them.

4. Leffe

Leffe New Member

Thank you for saying exactly what I was about to.

5. Roadvirus

Roadvirus Well-Known Member

Being prepared doesn't make one a loon. And the guy with the website and others? Fostering fear to make money is their right.

6. Roadvirus

I know a prepper personally. He has guns and emergency supplies. He's also an average guy who works as an insurance agent for State Farm. He's seen natural disaster devestation up close. He was at Joplin, Missouri afer it got nuked by that F5.

Not all of these people are "loons". They want to feel assured that they and their families will be safe and secure if the spam ever hits the fan.

7. Roadvirus

You just reminded me of that one Twilight Zone episode where the only guy on the block with the bomb shelter is getting overun with neighbors while the sirens are blaring. Or the Quantum Leap episode where Sam leaps into the family with the bomb shelter while the neighbor is more worried about getting a pool at the height of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

8. GeneralZod

GeneralZod New Member

Also the twilight zone episode or may have been outer limits. Where a doomsday believer locked himself in a bunker believing the world is going to end. At the end of the episode, his bunker was under tons of earth, while kids played in the new park, where his house once stood.

9. Leffe

Leffe New Member

The question of rights is not being questioned here. The question is more "is having a population who are so easily scared, a good thing?". I would say it's a terrible thing, living in fear, scared of your own shadows. No wonder your government (and I'm talking specifically about GWB and co), found it so easy to manipulate you all.

10. Leffe

Leffe New Member

I'm seeing a trend now. I tried to base my life on Californication, but it didn't work out....

11. raymondo

raymondo Banned

12. Pollycy

Pollycy Well-Known Member

Christians would not believe that, certainly, for the Christ said, ""No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." (Matthew 24:36)

But we who live in this "neo-Dark Ages" cannot be oblivious to the growing threat to "haves" from "have-nots". Yes, that's "painting with a broad brush", but it describes generally the gutter-angst, from Athens to the Occupy barricaides.

This fraud-balloon "recovery" Obama's handlers in the Federal Reserve crime syndcate have bought with trillions of borrowed, illusory dollars isn't doing anything but erecting a shoddy Welfare State while it extends a global economic hegemony. It offers nothing but a "prole" existence for the rat herd, and they won't be satisfied with that! They will be killed off or beaten down, but that takes time....

In Great Britain, where education standards are still considerably higher than here in America, you've probably developed at least passing familiarity with the work of B. F. Skinner. And if so, you know what's likely to be happening in this dangerous planetary tinder box in the next five years.

Anyway, to cut to the chase... at minimum, you'd better be able to defend yourself and your loved ones during any sudden upheaval. Recommendations: a 12-guage pump shotgun, and a .357 magnum revolver -- both with plenty of easily-transportable ammunition....
    What? No weapons for the populace in Great Britain?! Oooh... now who do you think caused THAT to happen...? :buggered:

13. Leffe

Leffe New Member

If you're trying to suggest to me there was an ark and it was somehow used in a global flood type situation, you're not going to get very far...

14. Iolo

Iolo Well-Known Member Past Donor

Jesus, of course, was not over-enamoured of the haves. Needle's eye ayone?

15. Marlowe

Marlowe New Member

Not necessary, coz we're not quite as paranoid as americans .

While taking sensible precautions against rational redictable possibilities , there's no need live in a state of constant fear .

IMO its time to take lesson from FDR's inaugural "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

16. talonlm

talonlm New Member

No fear, my friend. Being prepared is not a sign of being paranoid. It's a sign of responsbility. The guns I keep because I don't think my government is infallible--and I don't think social disruptions or violent crime can't happen here. I'm not worried about the end of the world. Not much I can do about that in any case. I'm just concerned about another Katrina and the social breakdown that followed that mess.

That England does not trust her citizenship with gun ownership is a problem for the English people to solve, should they decide they want them. We decided that here in America two hundred and twenty-odd years back. The Englinsh don't get a say in that here anymore.

17. GeneralZod

GeneralZod New Member

I never understand the usa fascination with guns. There must be many americans who enjoy shooting as a sport. It is like switzerland?

Winter sportrs with americans on skis, rushing thru the snow to shoot targets.

18. Serfin' USA

Serfin' USA Well-Known Member

For a First World country, yes. Still, there are plenty of more paranoid interpretations of religion found in the developing world. Quite a significant portion of the Islamic World (particularly in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and Iran) has their own paranoid or otherwise extreme views on religion.

19. Dan40

Dan40 New Member

They are prepared for everything but REALITY.

20. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

I dunno. I think people are just scared. They see our country heading the way of Greece and our POTUS just keeps proposing budgets that spend like crazy and cut our defenses.
    Can't really blame them. Obama is living in a Marxist dream world. He doesn't care how much money he takes or spends. He just thinks he can print more. His actions prove it.
    He's a crazy fool. We're in deep crap having him for a prez.

MisLed and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Serfin' USA

I can agree that being paranoid is usually a bad thing, but I'd say a lot of the EU is too complacent.

Here's a good example. When SOPA and PIPA were about to be passed, there was a big stink made out of it here, which ultimately kept them from being passed (so far). A very similar international agreement known as ACTA has been passing in the EU without much of a backlash by Europeans. That's kind of disturbing, considering how complacency toward government can lead to losing liberties.

Granted, I have to admit that ACTA has been mostly ignored by us as well.

The problem is that it's hard for the public to reach a happy medium -- being vigilant enough to speak out against government overreach but not too paranoid to become loony or too complacent to let the government walk over you.

We probably err too much on the paranoia side, but the EU errs too much on the complacency side.

22. MisLed

MisLed New Member

There's your problem, perhaps. too many men are trying to guide life here on earth. They're not competent to do so.

23. GeneralZod

GeneralZod New Member

The wisdom of Gw Bush junior, Patriot act. World wide war against 'terror'

This is still in effect isnt it? Americans havent managed thus far to stop that insanity.

24. MisLed

MisLed New Member

at least you're admitting it's insanity.

25. Serfin' USA

This is true. The NDAA took it further.

So, I will have to concede that paranoia can also justify allowing the government to walk over you.

That's a good point.