Gun Related Deaths In America 2012

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Makedde, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

You're right there! But back to what we're talking about: rational gun control, based on the evidence, just doesn't support your grunt

2. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

I will agree that gun control needs to be enforced. I have my personal issues that most will not agree with because they have fear.

I do believe in gun registration and I go a step further and say audits should be randomly carried out to make sure the weapons are where they are supposed to be.

I also believe that anyone caught committing a felony of will/intent (robbery, assault... ) should be put down on the spot. Furthermore any person convicted of such crime should be put down immediately. Any person that has been convicted of a felony and has a gun in their possession should be put down.

3. SpotsCat

SpotsCat New Member Past Donor

How about strict liability? If any shooting - either accidental or intentional - occurs with a firearm, then the registered owner is 100% financially and criminally liable, unless the firearm has been reported to the police as stolen.

4. blown330

blown330 New Member

Evidence-based rational gun control is a contradiction in terms....:nod:

Faith-based, emotion-based, tired-rhetoric-based, hope-and-unicorn-farts-based...now those are the foundation of what some like you would call "rational" gun control.

5. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

"Rational" gun control leads to "rational" gun confiscation as has happened in England and Australia. The gun grabbers will always "rationalize" their stand.

6. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

The issue with either side of this debate is humanity. That is the problem. You can not quantify the human animal.

There are ever changing variables and the same situation with any one individual can have innumerable results. This is where any study fails.

7. Hoosier8

SpotsCat and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

9. SpotsCat

That's the kind of "social services" the A2A crowd wants - "We think you have a firearm in your home, and we think your child has access to it, so you are under arrest."

Orwell was wrong on the date (1984), but correct on the storyline...

[​IMG]

10. Hoosier8

Registration leads to eventual confiscation. Canada that is probably second to the US in new world freedom is finding that registration is a failed and very expensive experiment, but once down that road, they don't know how to turn back. Registration in Australia was not supposed to lead to confiscation but it did. That is why I will fight it here.

11. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

You'll find that the only folk that avoid the evidence on here are the NRA drone types and just repeat the propaganda again and again

Rationality is a concept that some folk struggle with. I don't understand why; the only difficulty is the difference between rational and rationalised behaviour (with the latter taken into account aspects such as dissonance and how that encourages restriction of information flows, such as the deliberate use of spurious relationship by the pro-gunnners)

12. SpotsCat

These "NRA drone types" are also known as "firearm owners" - a group that you're unfortunately not a member of.

13. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

That's not quite accurate. I know many gun owners who are able to think and celebrate individualism. There's really no excuse for being completely reliant on propaganda, with secondary sources giving the drones a low brow script

14. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

Well I personally hate the NRA and have no time for them. I am in agreement about many things but their leadership sux.

15. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

That's jolly nice. We just need to get you to refer to the evidence correctly now.

16. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

And that is why I do not like the NRA or your side. Your numbers are not incorrect but you studies are looking for certain results while omitting many contributory factors.

The anti gun studies do not consider all of the evidence as I showed you. Because you have yet to answer some of my questions I must assume many factors and the first one is you can not.

17. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

This is just anti-intellectual nonsense. You haven't been able to refer to one valid critique.

18. SpotsCat

Yet somehow you believe that any of us who dare to disagree with the "empirical evidence" you provide are NRA stooges. Interesting!

BTW -- These firearm owners you claim to know, where do they live - Calderdale? North Devon? Bassetlaw?

19. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

Were the actual contribution of the victims considered before assigning a positive value to their life. It is a simple question; Yes or no? Many lives (the ones in those situations) have a negative value where they do not work, are career criminals tying up the courts, sucking welfare...

When you can answer this we can ave an adult discussion and until that time you study is no better than lies. No grow up and stop crying.

20. beenthere

beenthere Well-Known Member

Here you are talking about 200 countries around the world. Friend, America isn't around the world. We have our own culture, our own way of doing things and something no other nation on earth has and that's the Constitution. I could care less if the lords of Europe felt that they couldn't trust the people from over throwing them if they had firearms and therefore ban them from civilian use. That's one reason we do have them. Now, show how many crimes were pervented from guns in civilian hands. Oh, that would throw your whole argument out the window so your not about to go there. The number is will over a million. Once more, we are talking about the U.S., no other country, because they don't count, not in this debate.

21. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

Well I am not defending him here but we can only look at crime rates in countries that have banned guns and look at trends after the fact.

And the fact that the US has guns and a lower crime rate:)

22. beenthere

And here we have another of the Academic type running off at the mouth but has no practical experiece. Reminds me of some plans we recieve from a architec on a project I was on. He had no practical field experiance and there was no way to build off the plans he sent out. They were sent back and another architec re-did the prints and all was well. Reiv, get some field experiece before telling people what's what.

23. beenthere

Tell him to look at the Cities in America that ban guns and go from there.

We grew up in a country unlike anyother in the world. We take for ganite rights that other nations only dream of. But they are being nibbled on every day by those inside and outside our country and I for one refuse to abide their nonsense. I have handled weapons for 59 years and so far not one of my weapons have hurt anybody. We have had people killed with rocks on up to high powered guns and everything in between including a crossbow a few years back. It's not the gun that kills but the person on the other end of it. And if it wasn't a gun it would be a knife, rock or a crossbow.

24. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

Anyone with experience would know that an evidence-based approach should be adopted.

25. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

Crikey, try again! You're coming out with nonsense

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.