MOD ANNOUNCEMENT: Member Debates (Input needed)

Discussion in 'Debates & Contests' started by E_Pluribus_Venom, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Frogger

Frogger Well-Known Member Past Donor

Then you obviously haven't read the posts of some of our mods.

While the moderators are good husbandmen of the site, keeping it up and running fairly smoothly, they are not all the sharpest knives in the drawer. All mods are well intentioned but only some mods are well informed. The ratio of informed mods is about the same as the ratio of informed posters.

Rapunzel and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Perriquine

Perriquine On hiatus Past Donor

To challenge and hone their skills.

I'm not sure that it is. Where I've seen it done before, the winner was provided a graphic they could use in their signature touting their win. So perhaps an ego booster of sorts, but I don't really think we need to replicate that here.

Have you received evidence that anyone has been enlightened by what you've said in your regular debating? And why are you assuming you wouldn't see that evidence if you won the debate?

3. Frogger

If people want a smackdown area where poster A can invite poster B to a private debate, that is one thing, but if it is to be a thread where people are invited by a third party to debate a topic based on that third party's perception of their worthiness to debate that is something else entirely.

I don't think any of us should be allowed to decide who is and who is not worthy of participating in a debate.

4. Perriquine

You're entitled to your opinion, as am I not to share it. Are we seriously going to start debating whether mods are well enough informed to act as judges of a debate?

I think maybe you're taking this way too seriously.

5. Frogger

And the loser gets to hang his head in shame, I assume.

6. Frogger

Any changes to the format of the site are serious issues so of course I take them seriously.

7. Perriquine

If it's poster A inviting poster B to a private debate, then I agree with flounder that they can do it in a private social group.

I will simply disagree with you on the idea that no one can decide who is or isn't worthy of participation in a debate. I see a very clear difference between various posters and their skills at debate in the forum. Were I the one doing the deciding, there are very few I'd find worthy.

8. Perriquine

Not necessarily. Where I've seen this done before, there was genuine admiration for the efforts of all participants. I wouldn't view losing the debate as a source of shame. It's not the mentality that I have toward defeats.

9. Frogger

Okay, I've decided you are not a good enough poster to be debating this topic. Please stop posting in this thread. You are, of course, free to sit back and read my posts.

10. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member Past Donor

That's funny right there....laugh of the day.:mrgreen:

11. Perriquine

I don't think it has to be done in such a way that it significantly alters the format of the site. Like I said earlier in the thread, if it's done right, 99% of the site remains the same. I'm looking at this in terms of the closed debates happening only periodically, not all the time. In fact, where I have seen it done, it was an annual thing. The rest of the time (and even during), the rest of the forum was unchanged.

Should we get rid of threads that are stickied for the purpose of making announcements, since people don't get to debate in them?

I seriously see all this hollering that "they're changing the format!" as much ado about nothing.

12. Rapunzel

OK, I'll vote for it if it occurs once in a blue moon.

13. Perriquine

Fortunately, it's not up to you.

Should we do away with all moderation of the forum? After all, who are the mods to say that someone is trolling and being disruptive? Maybe anyone should be allowed to post whatever they like, whether it's off-topic, flamebaits, personal attacks, etc.

14. Rapunzel

That goes on anyway....haven't you noticed?

That's the whole point. Maybe the mods should do a better job of policing this forum instead of making more work for themselves, when they can't keep up as it is.

15. Perriquine

I've seen what happens on truly unmoderated forums. The stuff that happens here is child's play by comparison.

16. Rapunzel

OK...but it still goes on. The mods can't keep up as it is. That's why threads are closed because of trolling instead of dealing with the perps. Not enough mods or too busy policing.

17. yguy

yguy Well-Known Member

Why is the prospect of a third party declaring a winner necessary for that?
    Yes.
    You have me confused with someone else.

18. Perriquine

I haven't stated that it is. Though obviously, if the object is to present a winning debate and have it recognized as such, one might step up their game.

Not at all.

19. Perriquine

So what exactly is the objection? That judging a debate will make moderating worse?

Didn't see that happen in my old forum, and the amount of trolling (and inability to keep up with it) there was comparable. The issue is not so much to do with the number of mods, but how moderating is initiated. Unless you're assigning a mod to every thread for them to monitor for violations, sheer numbers won't necessarily make a difference.

20. Perriquine

We're seriously going to start doing the 'libs vs. conservatives' thing here?

As far as I can see, no firm decisions have been made about who will or won't be a judge.

If this thread is going to turn into conspiracy theorizing, then I'm going to bail.

21. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

I don't understand.

I don't understand why anyone is arguing against this proposal. No one is going to be forced to debate anyone if they do not want. People are fre to do whatever they like within the confines of the forum

For one, I would love to test my convictions and my ability to express my opinions in a convincing manner in a controlled environment. Isn't that what everyone is here for anyway? Not just to make little e-jabs, but to expand their knowledge? To get other opinions?

Additionally if folks don't like that this option is available, they can go to vBulletin and buy the software to start their own site.

22. yguy

yguy Well-Known Member

Why?
    Then you're making stuff up about me on purpose.

23. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

Debate...shmate...
    talk is cheap...

200 years ago if you insulted a man, there was good chance it was pistols at dawn.

What do we have now?

A bunch of key board commandos slinging arrows from the safety and anonymity of
    electronic media....especially the foreigners that just love to get on here and spout their
    hatred of the U.S...you think a debate is going to change anything?

I'll say again...

return to dueling...

Pistols at Dawn!

watch the rats scurry when courage is required to back up their convictions...not just access to the internet.

Anonymous debates on the internet...and judged?

Count me out.

I think it's silly and resolves nothing. Whoever can copy/paste the quickest wins...

24. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

This ^ is exactly why I don't want to have anything to do with YOU if you and your buddies are involved. Your combative attitude of SO obvious.

You can have this option available all you want, but I'll have nothing to do with it. You wanna debate me sir? You know where to find me.

25. Perriquine

Actually, I'd have to disagree. There are a fair number of people (not necessarily anyone participating in this particular thread) who are indeed here just for making little e-jabs. I won't name names, as that would be inappropriate. But I do worry that this is what the forum is becoming. One hopes structured debate would rise above that.