UCLA provides internship opportunities to illegal immigrants

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Naruto, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Naruto

Naruto Well-Known Member

Illegal immigrant students in California are actualizing their dreams this summer.

The UCLA Labor Center’s Dream Resource Center is allowing undocumented students to apply for Dream Summer, a ten-week summer program that provides paid internship opportunities for immigrants in California, regardless of their immigration or insurance status. The program will encourage them to advocate for immigration reform and promote universal health care access regardless of immigration status.

The Center says the program began in 2011 after the U.S. Senate failed to pass the DREAM Act in 2010, which would have given a path to citizenship to illegal immigrants who came to the United states before the age of 16. The program claims to have provided 418 internship opportunities to immigrant youth throughout the nation.

UCLA is among the growing number of University of California schools, including UC San Diego and UC Berkeley, to provide academic scholarships and opportunities exclusively for illegal immigrants, some of whom move on to become active spokesmen for immigration reform.

The US Census Bureau reports that as of July 1, 2014, Hispanics were the predominant ethnic population of California’s roughly 14.99 million residents. An estimated 68 percent of the state’s undocumented population is Mexican-born.

Seth Ronquillo, a spokesman for the Dream Resource Center, told the Daily Bruin, “Many of the participants in the program go on to become the leaders of the immigration reform movement. By working in social justice organizations, they are given the resources they need to continue in activism.”

For international students, the requirement is more stringent. “Students have to get credit for paid as well as unpaid internships to stay in the U.S. on an educational F-1 visa with approval from the Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars,” the Daily Bruin reports.

“I feel that UCLA as a public institution in California was established to educated the citizens of California as well as the U.S. and legal international students, not illegal immigrants. By only offering these paid internships to illegal immigrants UCLA is not only hurting law abiding citizens who are of all ethnicities including Hispanic, but they are also promoting and sponsoring people who are breaking the laws of our state and country. [This] is ironic since some of their funding comes from the state in which they are advocating for people to break this state's law,” Alexis Moran, a second-year Hispanic student at UCLA told Campus Reform,

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6662

So Americans need not apply UCLA? I bet there are alot of other minorities that could use a internship to help them get good jobs.

2. Guey

Guey New Member

People whine about businesses that hire illegal immigrants but see nothing wrong with giving them paid internships?

At this point all you can do is laugh.

3. Pred

Pred Well-Known Member

LOL is all I can say. Liberals are so adorable or just pandering to votes. I wonder if part of the application requires they vote D?

4. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

You'd think there would be a lot of upset poor Americans in California wondering where their job opportunities are, but there aren't.

They're completely oblivious to things like this because they've been placated with a few hundred dollars a week in welfare and blinded with ignorance as to the reason why they've been locked into the permanent underclass.

So liberals in California are free to ignore the needs of Americans while they violate dozens of federal laws and pander to the illegal plague.

Every now and then some liberal will accuse a Republican of not caring about the poor.

As hypocritically laughable as that notion is the reality is that a lot of us indeed don't care.

Personally I don't care about California's poor one damn bit.

I don't care because the poor don't care, the liberals they vote for don't care, and the Brown invaders don't care.

Suffer people, you earned it.

5. leftlegmoderate

leftlegmoderate New Member

And people thought it was a meme that illegal immigrants were being used as pawns...

6. Naruto

Naruto Well-Known Member

The black community thought the had a lock on minority status but the Dems know there are a hell of alot more hispanics than blacks. I wonder how American blacks feel about this when they could use a internship and not a bunch of illegals.

7. JoeSixpack

JoeSixpack New Member

What do you expect? It's Mexifornia!

8. Steve N

Steve N Well-Known Member Past Donor

How does an illegal get a "paid" internship with no Social Security number?

9. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

The UC system is filled with sanctuary universities.

10. way2convey

way2convey Well-Known Member

They might not need one in CA. It wouldn't surprise me.

11. HTownMarine

HTownMarine Well-Known Member Past Donor

How do you advertise this?

Like, I feel like if I was ICE, I would sit outside until the illegal showed up, and then simply detain them.

But then again, we invited illegals into the white house and they managed to walk in and out untouched.

12. jones343434

jones343434 Member

Most blacks don't really care...they are not afraid of Latin people like white conservatives. Black are more worried about education, gang violence/police violence and white racism.

13. Guey

Guey New Member

That would be racist.

It would make a lot more sense to detain an old white woman on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant. We wouldn't want to be unfair and assume most illegal immigrants are Hispanic. We might hurt their feelings, even when they are blatant and outspoken about their citizenship status.

14. HB Surfer

HB Surfer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Less opportunity for U.S. Citizens and children born and raised in California legally.

My children won't be following my path through the U.C. system. What a theft on those that pay taxes for those schools.

15. Steve N

Steve N Well-Known Member Past Donor

You know how the left always brags that Obama has more deportations than Bush, well Obama can pad his numbers if he raided the UCLA work place.

And what about E-verify? If I applied for a job at UC wouldn't they ask me for proof of citizenship and an I-9 form?

The left talks about removing what entices illegals to come here and one of those things are the employers who hire them. Well, what do you say now?

16. NothingSacred

NothingSacred Active Member

That is blllshht! The jobs should go to a white male, LIKE ME or people that LOOK LIKE ME! I'm not joking! No, it shouldn't be all whites or all males, that part I am joking, but YES, it should go to ALL PROVEN CITIZENS.

17. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Any Rick Perry fans here?

Shall we mention the 2001 Texas DREAM Act?

18. jones343434

jones343434 Member

Why do think it is all white conservatives complaining about immigration....do you see multilple protest of Asians, blacks other races protesting.

19. Cubed

Cubed Well-Known Member Past Donor

Yeah, this just entrenches the idea that being an illegal immigrant is 'ok'. why not just open the doors and say f-it?

A bad idea, setting a bad precedent.

20. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

"Oddly" when you see a big anti-immigration reform march......it's almost always 99-100% white.

Yet supposedly "illegal immigration hurts other minorities" and blacks and Asians are going to "join with us good, decent, white conservatives and stop it"?!?!?!?

21. RichT2705

RichT2705 Well-Known Member Past Donor

If you were looking for work you might care. People who shouldnt even be here are taking jobs from people who could use them.

22. Dispondent

Dispondent Well-Known Member Past Donor

As long as there are fewer than 25 illegal aliens involved, ICE leaves it alone. That apparently is the minimum number required before ICE will even investigate, and that was years ago, so it's probably much worse now...

23. The Mello Guy

The Mello Guy Well-Known Member

Taxpayer ID number. Same way legal immigrants get paid.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not for illegals only. It's for immigrants regardless of status.

24. HTownMarine

HTownMarine Well-Known Member Past Donor

Nope, blacks will continue to vote democrat, and they and the Hispanics can fight over the (*)(*)(*)(*)ty jobs in this country.

That's a much more likely scenario.

25. Pred

Pred Well-Known Member

No Kidding. How can any legit business hire anyone without a SS#? Internship. Where I work you have to be at least a junior in college, have to apply, face a
    background check, drug test, and usually a recommendation from someone internal. Basically no one where I work wants to risk someone stealing anything, disrespecting anyone and where all the interns are related to associates it guarantees the best.