Dude, Where’s My Car?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Taxcutter, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Taxcutter

Taxcutter New Member

Cars tend to all look alike these days. Reason: Regulations.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/author/patrick-cooke

quote;
    “…every car seems to look like every other car. Late-model midsize sedans and compacts, especially, appear nearly identical.”

“…mileage standards and safety regulations largely determine what most cars rolling off assembly lines look like.”

“Federal interference began in the 1970s with a mandate to provide drivers with bumpers capable of surviving a five-mile-per-hour crash without sustaining damage to the body of the car.”

“…in 1975, Congress introduced the first mandatory Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) regulations that set mileage quotas for new automobiles. The easiest way to meet the mandate was to lower the drag coefficient on cars, and so began the automakers’ mad dash for the wind tunnel. With only so many solutions to be expected from rounding off fenders and tilting windshields, stylists began producing cars that converged more and more on the same shape.”

“…safety rules have done more to create the cookie-cutter clones than anything else…”

“The cumulative effect of all these changes is a wedge shape, seen from the side, from the low nose swooping upward toward a high tail—the startled stance of a cat with its rump in the air.”

“…the smartphone has supplanted the automobile as a teen obsession …largely because owning a car is too expensive.”

Taxcutter says:
    Once again the lives of ordinary Americans are degraded by ignorant, meddlesome bureaucrats.

2. CowboyBob

CowboyBob New Member

What's the point of this thread? Cars made in other countries not sold in the US look similar also. What should cars look like anyway?

If you're against safety regulations have a look at this:

[video=youtube;joMK1WZjP7g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g[/video]

Which one would you rather be riding in?

>>>Off Topic Removed<<<

3. Taxcutter

Taxcutter New Member

Go hunt your car in the parking lot.

4. smallblue

smallblue Well-Known Member

pickup_truck.jpg

honda-spices-european-civic-up-with-aero-package_1.jpg

06-Scion-xB.jpg

Look pretty different to me. Sedans look the same from the same time period because everyone rides the trend. Few are going to risk breaking the mold and ending up with a flop seller.

5. LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie New Member

I just hit the panic button. Once that horn starts whaling it is pretty easy to find!

6. Hotdogr

Hotdogr Well-Known Member Past Donor

I was of the opinion that cars tend to look the same because there is really only one optimal aerodynamic shape.

7. LoneStrSt8

LoneStrSt8 New Member Past Donor

What happens when they get to the point where the panic button frequencies start to duplicate?

8. Taxcutter

Taxcutter New Member

Taxcutter says;
    Since my last traffic accident was when LBJ was in office and my last parking lot fender-bender was when OJ still had an acting career, some meathead bureaucrat's idea of crashworthiness isn't important to me.

Damage control on the Titanic should have started with "Don't hit the damned iceberg." Her sister ship - the Mauretania practiced that and had a long, uneventful service life. For me - not hitting things - that 1959 Chevy would be just fine.

9. Defengar

Defengar New Member

Are you saying you can control the actions of all drivers around you? Wow! You must be some sort of sorcerer! Please, share this magical power of yours.

10. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

My car was designed by bedwetting libs at the Consumer ProtectionAgency who apparently worry about leaving the car unlocked.

It locks the doors automatically unless I reach it in a few seconds to open on of them.

When I start the engine it locks all the doors again as if libs think I need help remembering to lock them myself.

It's a little thing I know, but just enough to make me curse libs every time I try to open a passenger door that the Nanny State has locked on my behalf.

11. CowboyBob

CowboyBob New Member

LOL! Whining that a car has automatic door locks! Now I've heard everything!

I'll let you in on a little secret.... not every car has automatic door locks. Buy a different car. Vote with your wallet.

If you ever get in a serious crash and your air bags deploy and save your life, will you be whining about the "bedwetting lee-burals" then too?

Man o man, talk about thin skinned Fringies!

LOL

12. Taxcutter

Taxcutter New Member

Taxcutter says:
    Common sense. Watching what is going on. Leaving a nice "cushion" between me and the guy in front of me.

Accidents are like most everything else in life in that they conform to the 80-20 rule. 80% of the accidents are the work of 20% of the drivers. Insurance companies know this. That's why they have high premiums for known bad actors.

13. CowboyBob

CowboyBob New Member

I'm happy you haven't had a car crash in decades. But knock on wood now, you probably jinxed yourself. You may not be a stupid driver, but a lot of them are.

It's amusing the things right wingers come up with to complain about.

14. Defengar

Defengar New Member

Wow. How bitter was the pill you took this morning?

15. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

I understand that not every car has the door locks I subscribe.

But the same overprotective lib moron who designed the locks could easily have gone to work for government if they had just a little less ability as engineers and could not meet the standards to work at a car company.

16. Taxcutter

Taxcutter New Member

Taxcutter says:
    I'll take my chances on good driving rather than what some bonehead bureaucrat says is crashworthy.

17. Shangrila

Shangrila staff Past Donor

If I can't figure out which car is mine, perhaps I shouldn't be driving?

18. CowboyBob

CowboyBob New Member

Aren't you right wingers tired of being angry all the time? I've never seen a bunch that complain about everything like your group does.

Thread after thread is filled with complaints about the President, government, regulations, the "other" political party..... it never stops. You guys sit there and dream up stuff to complain about.

Life is too short to sit in your little desk chair complaining about your world and everything in it all the time. Find something positive to focus on, something real... a plant, a book, a dog or something instead of lamenting that your world isn't what you want it to be.

*sheesh!* What you people must be like in real life.....

19. Taxcutter

Taxcutter New Member

Taxcutter says:
    We are - rooting out the evil in the country we love.

20. CowboyBob

CowboyBob New Member

Including the kids on your lawn.

Regulations are "evil"...... interesting.

BTW.. you don't need to start each post with "taxcutter says".

21. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

I can keep it up as long as libs can.

22. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

I bet they're a blast at dinner parties; whine, whine, whine:oldman: (That is while they're figuring out how come they never get invited any more)

23. mdrobster

mdrobster Well-Known Member

If you can't remember where you parked your or you can't remember which car is yours, you might be in need of a doctor's visit. Or you can even tie a ribbon on the antenna, or the door handle.

Front ends of autos look more similar now due to aerodynamic engineering of the body, while underneath such as the frame, cars are still much different. It is easy to conclude the author(s) of that article doesn't know much about cars.

24. mdrobster

mdrobster Well-Known Member

Your car auto locks because of the security system, that can be configured to be manually locked or key press only locked. I suggest you review your manual.

25. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

That's true.

But I still don't like libs butting into my business.