Egyptian Islamist Leader Due to Visit US Tells the NYT that America Must Change

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by DonGlock26, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Ethereal

Ethereal Well-Known Member

This is just a simplistic and partisan viewpoint. The fact is that Bush's war in Iraq was not "personal" but ideological and political. The idea that Bush would invade Iraq over purely personal reasons is conspiratorial and ridiculous. What's more, his views on Iraq were shared and perpetuated by MANY prominent statesmen, Democrats included. Those wars demonstrated the failure of democracy on a large scale, not of one politician.

Likewise, Israel's leaders are not going to war over "personal issues"; they are a democracy like us and that means they are simply following their constituencies' demands; given their extremely hostile surroundings, the Israeli people have a legitimate interest in securing their borders against Islamist terror cells; just assuming that Israel's defense policies boil down to political leaders and their personal issues is not realistic or evidence-based thinking.

2. thediplomat2.0

thediplomat2.0 Banned

Morsi makes a legitimate point. America needs to change its approach to the Middle East if the Arab Spring is to be a success, both for Arab countries, and the United States. Like DonGlock, I agree there is no reason for our society to fundamentally alter our values or policies. Free speech is a derivative of liberty, and is therefore inalienable, self-evident, and universally cognizant. At the same time, and in line with a commitment to our values, we must rekindle the flame of religious tolerance. Further educating the public on Islam is crucial in winning the hearts and minds of our partners in the Arab world, especially with the illiberal, Islamist democratization of the region.

With regard to a Palestinian state, this matter is a reasonable suggestion. Pro-Israel organizations, including AIPAC and J Street, advocate a two state solution. Democrats and Republicans have negotiated possible agreements. At the most, one can boil the implied urgency to act in Morsi's words as hostile in an inconsequential manner.

3. Ethereal

Ethereal Well-Known Member

I don't really care about the "Arab Spring" being a "success", nor do I care about the formation of a Palestinian state. I am sick and tired of being dragged into the internal affairs of foreign nations. All I care about is maintaining the trade and travel rights of Americans. Morsi is just some foreign Islamist radical as far as I'm concerned and I couldn't care less what he thinks about US foreign policy.

4. Margot

Margot Account closed, not banned

Bibi is making a lot of noise about attacking Iran before the elections.

He's been claiming that Iran was getting a nuclear weapon since 1992..

5. Margot

Twenty years ago, in 1992, Netanyahu declared Iran would deploy nuclear weapons in three to five years. In 1995, Israeli officials warned Iran would have nuclear arms by 2000.

In 1998, Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld warned that Iran would have intercontinental ballistic missiles with nuclear warheads by 2003 that could strike the US. Netanyahu now insists Iran will have nukes within a year.

6. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

If by some miricle Obama wins re-election, he'll no doubt hand over the Blind Shiek in a grand display of Neville Chamberlainism.

7. Professor Peabody

To quote the NYC billboard:

"In any war between the civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man. Support Israel. Defeat Jihad."

8. thediplomat2.0

thediplomat2.0 Banned

The question of whether Iran makes a nuclear weapon is irrelevant. All that matters is the perceived threat of Iran having a nuclear weapon, as such a military capability is highly offensive in nature. At the same time, there is greater chance of deterrence between Israel and Iran than there is defect. Even if we are to recognize the religious fanaticism of Iranian leadership, or the paranoia of Israeli leadership, the amount of rationalism in play, whatever that may be, will be enough to fend off a major, transparent conflict between the two nation-states.

9. Margot

The J Street Jews have come out against Pam Geller.. They think what she has done is disgusting.

10. Margot

For me.. I resent the lies since 1992 and the claims that Iran had missles that would reach the US in 2002.

11. thediplomat2.0

thediplomat2.0 Banned

My advice to you is to stop sweating the small stuff. It is inconsequential.

12. Piscivorous

Piscivorous New Member

The only problem with America is liberals. You seem content to turn this country into a Sh!topia. Why not instead take your stupid liberal ideas to the Middle East and change them?

13. Professor Peabody

And that matter...how?

14. Margot

I doubt it would matter to you..

15. Professor Peabody

The distance between New York United States and Tehran Iran is 6121.44 miles. The Fajr-3 can carry 3 payloads approximately 1250 miles or 20% of the distance. A little slower than expected, but they're getting there.

16. Montoya

Montoya Banned

Why do you bend over a take it from Israel?